New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 09-28-2011, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2
Any thoughts?? NYS DMV is going to drop eye exams for drivers license renewals. You only need to self-ceritfy that you can see.
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...-renewals/?hpw
Is this Good or bad? Does not lead to a decrease in license renewal fees, therefore it appears to be either
A) a cost reduction step. Lower cost = higher profit margin
B) reflective of layoffs state-wide where the DMV has to make do with fewer people. Eliminating a step that is consuming resources may help them maintain current service levels.
IT'S BAD!!!
It's retarded
It's a cost saving thing
It's retarded
It's not got safety of others at its heart
It's retarded
IT'S BAD!!!
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
But then the corner speed is too low, and boring

It may be for you, but then how to tell the world that one can indeed down-shift from 3rd to 1st without damaging the car. It remains in your mind like a thing that you have seen but cant tell anyone because they'd never believe it
Old 09-28-2011, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1317221902' post='21016263

You do realize that's the
If it were a Honda it would be more like this
yet the Si is reality, and the Veloster Turbo is only an unconfirmed rumor
Just you silly. Figured I'd a little like JonBoy
Let me just say, the Turbo Veloster is a lot more real than a performance CR-Z
Old 09-28-2011, 10:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1317231646' post='21016973
Any thoughts?? NYS DMV is going to drop eye exams for drivers license renewals. You only need to self-ceritfy that you can see.
http://wheels.blogs....e-renewals/?hpw
Is this Good or bad? Does not lead to a decrease in license renewal fees, therefore it appears to be either
B) reflective of layoffs state-wide where the DMV has to make do with fewer people. Eliminating a step that is consuming resources may help them maintain current service levels.
IT'S BAD!!!
It's retarded
It's a cost saving thing
It's retarded
It's not got safety of others at its heart
It's retarded
IT'S BAD!!!

I can see more of such things happening in the future. Less bang for the tax paying buck I guess

The one thing they could really do, is to remove the annual NYS Inspection. Do like NJ does and make new cars exempt for 5 years. Go a step further and make CPO vehicles exempt for 2 years, following which an annual inspection will make sense. I seriously have never seen the need to have a perfectly fine car inspected.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The one thing they could really do, is to remove the annual NYS Inspection. Do like NJ does and make new cars exempt for 5 years. Go a step further and make CPO vehicles exempt for 2 years, following which an annual inspection will make sense. I seriously have never seen the need to have a perfectly fine car inspected.
I remember seeing a brake rotor where the face was worn completely off and you could see where the pads (backing plates?) were wearing grooves into the cooling fins. It was hanging on a wall in a shop. When I asked about it, they said the crazy part was not that somebody was driving a car in that condition, but that they brought it in for a completely unrelated repair! Yes, there are idiots amongst us. This is why we need yearly inspections.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 AM

A preview of the Veloster hot hatch drive train in the Azera
http://www.youtube.com/embed/osAiGxj1-bs
http://www.youtube.com/embed/x2Khqmet9uc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU5Dr10P1yk

How awesome, the dash has a digital readout for what gear you are in
I always liked that on the Nighthawk and have always wanted it in the S
Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiX-M1kNXko&NR=1
Old 09-28-2011, 10:17 AM

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...-renewals/?hpw

Not much of a change from the current system. I remember standing behind an old man reading the eye chart at the DMV. I was three rows back and could read the bottom line on the chart. He was attempting to read the 3rd line down. He kept stumbling over the same letter. It was a lower case "e". He read it as a "c" 2 times and an "o" the 3rd time. He passed without getting it correct.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1317233081' post='21017082
I remember seeing a brake rotor where the face was worn completely off and you could see where the pads (backing plates?) were wearing grooves into the cooling fins. It was hanging on a wall in a shop. When I asked about it, they said the crazy part was not that somebody was driving a car in that condition, but that they brought it in for a completely unrelated repair! Yes, there are idiots amongst us. This is why we need yearly inspections.
I guess you are right, but there will be such instances regardless of the annual inspection.

Back when I lived in Memphis, you had to get your car inspected every year if you lived in the city. If you lived in the burbs or any other part of Shelby county, there was no need for vehicular inspection. Just keep renewing your registration and you are set. Then they extended the inspection requirement to more locations as the city annexed the burbs.

I can see the need for older cars, but I don't see why a brand new vehicle needs a state inspection while it is under warranty. Service stations and dealerships have 20-30 point inspections specifically so they can upsell you or draw your attention to things that are critical.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:22 AM

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's