New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I've always said, I'd prefer to be cold than hot.
If you're cold - pile another blanket on. Put on a sweater. Wool socks anyone?
Too hot? Can only take off so much if you're in public...
What's too hot?
Me love the heat...
Old 07-15-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo' timestamp='1310731940' post='20782409
I've always said, I'd prefer to be cold than hot.
If you're cold - pile another blanket on. Put on a sweater. Wool socks anyone?
Too hot? Can only take off so much if you're in public...
What's too hot?
Me love the heat...
Autocross has made me very tolerant of the heat. Losing 40 pounds has helped too. Still don't like it much above 85 degrees. Give me a sunny 75 degree day with a light breeze and I'm in heaven!

The next house will be a ranch with bedroom windows carefully planned for cross-ventilation. It will also have a wrap around porch so the windows can be open during a rain storm.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
The next house will be a ranch with bedroom windows carefully planned for cross-ventilation. It will also have a wrap around porch so the windows can be open during a rain storm.
Yup, that's what I have, well the airflow and windows, I have a Cape Cod
In the summer the garage takes the brunt of the sun as it is on the south end of the house
Majority of the wind comes out of the west, the front of the house faces west, the top of the windows is right up to the soffit
I can open the top of all the double hung windows about 1/2 way and unless the wind is really blowing no rain at all comes in
And of course, one of the most important keys is shade on the roof, a well placed big ole tree makes a huge difference
Old 07-15-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1310752384' post='20783611
Yup, that's what I have, well the airflow and windows, I have a Cape Cod
In the summer the garage takes the brunt of the sun as it is on the south end of the house
Majority of the wind comes out of the west, the front of the house faces west, the top of the windows is right up to the soffit
I can open the top of all the double hung windows about 1/2 way and unless the wind is really blowing no rain at all comes in
And of course, one of the most important keys is shade on the roof, a well placed big ole tree makes a huge difference
My current house has a weird anomaly in that the cool air enters the back bedroom windows from the west, but it ends up in the two story entry instead of crossing the hall to the master bedroom. The whole house cools off nicely at night, except the master bedroom. (Careful what you are thinking! ) The back bedrooms can be close to 10 degrees cooler than the front. Most of the windows have little over hang to block the rain.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:07 AM

Headed to the "Blues and BBQ" festival tonight to see Joe Beard and Robert Cray. Should be a perfect evening for an outdoor show!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:50 AM

My current house has a weird anomaly in that the cool air enters the back bedroom windows from the west, but it ends up in the two story entry instead of crossing the hall to the master bedroom. The whole house cools off nicely at night, except the master bedroom. (Careful what you are thinking! ) The back bedrooms can be close to 10 degrees cooler than the front. Most of the windows have little over hang to block the rain.
Honestly, I think the airflow gets confused in those big open 2-story areas so it does not surprise me ya end up with a "dead air" room, it's just unfortunate that is the master and not something like a guest room that's rarely used

My little Cape is kind of funny, the steps to the 2nd floor are directly in top of the stairwell to the basement, the flight down to the basement you travel to the north, the flight up to the 2nd story you travel to the south. I put a fan in the 2nd floor window set on exhaust, I set a fan on the 1st floor in front of the steps to the 2nd floor pointed straight up to the 2nd floor, and I set an industrial fan on the basement floor pointed up that stairwell. I can literally watch the cat hair circle up and out of the house like the draft in a chimney. That's my secret, the correctly placed fans, not the cat hair
Old 07-15-2011, 11:56 AM

Headed to the "Blues and BBQ" festival tonight to see Joe Beard and Robert Cray. Should be a perfect evening for an outdoor show!
I'll gun the V4 and blown the horn when I go buy
You might not be there yet though
My printer is south of there and the agency is north of there, so I go right buy

BTW- be sure to see the MCY thread, I made a purchase today. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:57 AM

I'd like my next house on a hilltop with a porch looking to the west, so I can sit and watch the thunderstorms roll in.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 PM

I hear the Blue Angels buzzing the building again!
Old 07-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Out of here! Blues tonight. Hopefully meet HarryWho tomorrow. Autocross on Sunday.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's