New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 09-19-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2

Holy Chit

Say, Honda, do we need to give you 2, 3, 4 or 5 years to catch up?

The heart of the interior is the seven-inch LG touchscreen, which comes standard whether you pony up for navigation or not. The display governs everything from the base six-speaker audio system (which itself includes standard satellite radio, iPod input and Gracenote music identification) to vehicle settings and Bluetooth telephony. What's more, Hyundai has included an RCA cable so you can play videos from your smartphone or hook up a video game console when parked (a 115-volt outlet is optional). You can diddle with personalization settings like wallpaper, color schemes and varying welcome chimes, or opt-in to play fuel economy games that let you see how your performance stacks up against other Veloster drivers. No, we're not kidding

And, sheer f'ing brilliance!

From where we sit, the 2012 Veloster stands as proof that, every once in a while, it's just good company policy to let your designers and engineers off the leash to indulge in a niche-model tangent.

Now, who was it that wanted to say Kia and Hyundai are just inferior products???
Old 09-19-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds more to me like a video game center than a car.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak
shoes for Doug:
http://www.shop.puma.com/Men/Footwear/Motorsport/Ferrari-Siluro-Shoes/pna302840,en_US,pd.html&cgid=23000#!i%3D69%26color %3D02%26sz%3D120
Very nice

I should start wearing my driving shoes... saving them for the track now seems like a silly idea

Old 09-19-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
The game part is active only when the car is parked
The user interface though is all state of the art, exactly what people want nowadays

And this looks to me more like one of the last places I would want to sit

This is more my style, I'm not some retired fart yet...
Old 09-19-2011, 10:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

to me it seemed like it had a little something for everyone.

Looks are like or extremely dislike
MT option looks to be fun
Car has all nice and new widgets. Not the standard pricy GPS option
I like how they have mixed social networking into the gadgetry that comes with the car. I probably would hate that in a car, just as some older people I knew hated GPS (which I loved) in a car 12 years ago.
Car is relatively spacious, peppy and economical over its direct competitor - the CR-Z.

I think this car will do well. Reason being younger people seem to like anything that looks a little radical or has some cute design cues. Overheard a trio of young women talking about the new car one of them had bought at a bar downtown. They used words like cute and adorable. The car in question - was the new Yaris.

The times, they are a-changin
Old 09-19-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I guess that's why I love my S. It was built to be a CAR, the money put into making the CAR perform
on the road, which is what cars were invented for in the first place. Not dumping tons of money into
making sure it can play music, videos, twitter, facebook, myspace, craigslist, julienne fries, wash
the soccer moms clothes and play a guitar!

My experience is that any thing that tries to do multiple things doesn't do any one thing well. The S
does 1 thing well, it performs on the road!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I think there will still be those performance oriented cars. However the mainstream cars will do all of the tasks you mentioned above.

The few performance cars that will remain will likely feature a mass market option (like the Z, Boxster and Miata have slushboxes). However for true performance on the scale of the S, one may have to shell out possibly $50K or higher to go with Lotus, Caterham or even more for a true sports car.

Old 09-19-2011, 10:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
This is more my style, I'm not some retired fart yet...
You admitting that you are a fart

Old 09-19-2011, 10:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I guess that's why I love my S. It was built to be a CAR, the money put into making the CAR perform
on the road, which is what cars were invented for in the first place. Not dumping tons of money into
making sure it can play music, videos, twitter, facebook, myspace, craigslist, julienne fries, wash
the soccer moms clothes and play a guitar!

My experience is that any thing that tries to do multiple things doesn't do any one thing well. The S
does 1 thing well, it performs on the road!
That is what I love about the S. No fancy thrills other than the radio and AC. When I close the radio door, I'm in a cockpit meant for business!
Old 09-19-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Funny note for today...

Had a Miata owner come up to me in Grand Teton Park and ask if we had towed the S from NY behind a motor home.

His Miata was at home. He and his wife were touring in a dually diesel. Their 5th wheel was down at the campground. He looked jealous when I said we drove the whole way, top down!

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's