New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's

Old 09-14-2011, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that feeling I will say that for all my pics being taken on the iPhone 3 this year they came out better than I expected
Old 09-14-2011, 02:57 AM

We really need our OWN dedicated photographer for the parade laps

I'm willing to kick in $20 to pay someone for the 1/2 hour or so it would take - if all 25+ of us did this it would pay the guy $500 - not bad for 1/2 hour of work and a bit of posting time.

There's only a few professions that pay that much
Old 09-14-2011, 03:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
The time may have come. Registered for the SCCA PDX event at Lime Rock on 10/22. Of course my registration cannot be confirmed until they find an instructor who will willingly ride along in a car with no roll bar. Yes, Im going to be driving the S2000.
Great, I am going to be there on Saturday Sept 24 driving solo for the first time! I had originally registered for a 2-day event on 23/24, but they cancelled the Friday event due to low participation.

Good luck!

-Mike
Old 09-14-2011, 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Tadashi
No effing way I did not think ANY group actually allowed cars w/o a roll bar at LRP?
Good luck, I hope they have an instructor for you
The consensus seems to have painted that picture, but every time I'm at LRP there are more and more S2000s w/out roll bar. S2000 factory roll hoops are good enough for most organizations, even if you narrowly fail the broomstick test. I know NASA and SCDA let stock cars in there.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 AM

Thanks for the info Mike! Good to know if I come into any money Congrats on your upcoming solo as well

Hope you don't mind - I am taking a stroll down memory lane... you know how us folks are

Mike's first track day at NHMS

The SSM is driven by an Eric not sure if he still has an S and if so is he active on the boards, in NE maybe?

And my personal favorite from that day... ME keeping up with a GT40 on the turns

He blew me away on the front straight but who cares
Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Great, I am going to be there on Saturday Sept 24 driving solo for the first time! I had originally registered for a 2-day event on 23/24, but they cancelled the Friday event due to low participation.
Good luck Mike. Im sure you will have no issue driving solo. Is this a NASA event?

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
Originally Posted by Tadashi' timestamp='1315950704' post='20970116
No effing way I did not think ANY group actually allowed cars w/o a roll bar at LRP?
Good luck, I hope they have an instructor for you
The consensus seems to have painted that picture, but every time I'm at LRP there are more and more S2000s w/out roll bar. S2000 factory roll hoops are good enough for most organizations, even if you narrowly fail the broomstick test. I know NASA and SCDA let stock cars in there.
Actually I may have spoken too soon. The local SCCA consists of the same people that are also a part of the BMW CCA. Got an e-mail from another of the registrars asking if I had a roll bar and that only a roll bar would qualify me for running with the group. I responded back and copied the e-mail I received from the other registrar I had received who said my entry would be conditional on finding an instructor to ride along with me.

NASA & SCDA are probably better organizations and lack the clutter and lack of clarity into the rules that seem to be a trait of the larger organizations. In any case I have an e-mail from Ian that says a Hardtop is needed to run at Lime Rock Park. Not sure how flexible they are about that rule. In any case here is what Ian sent me

Thank you for the email
The Stock S2000 is fine at all NON LIME ROCK tracks.

AT LRP , car will need a hard top

Here is info on Convertibles

What is your convertible policy?
For safety reasons, all convertibles (Boxster, Miata, Corvette, BMW Z4, Honda S2000, Pontiac Solstice etc.) are required to have a roll bar that meets the following two criteria in order to be eligible to run during any event. 1) The roll bar must be in the fixed position and visible at all times. This means that roll bars which are designed to automatically deploy are not acceptable unless they are in the full upright and locked position at all times. 2) The roll bar must allow the driver to pass the "broomstick" test which means that the top of the drivers helmet must be below the line from the top of the roll bar to the top of the windshield. There are aftermarket roll bars and/or seats which can be used to help meet these requirements. If your convertible meets these standards, then you are welcome to participate! Factory hard tops are acceptable, as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM

Not sure how to isolate your question out of a multi quote: Yes it's a NASA event. They don't have any instructors for this session, it's HPDE2+ only.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I'll believe this when I see it.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/259138/

Takanobu Ito confirms that Honda is developing an NSX replacement. I have this gut feeling that it will be a CR-Z part deux.

Ito declined to comment on when such a car could make production, but he stressed it would be a different vehicle to the original NSX, which weighed 1350kg and had 290bhp.

“You can’t depend on a high power output to call a car sporty anymore,” he said. “The original NSX was about high power but also good driving performance, and today power-to-weight is what we have to focus on. The NSX was known for its aluminium body, so when we develop our new sportscar we don’t want to copy Ferrari for power, but to also chase efficiency as well.”

Old 09-14-2011, 04:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Euro Civic video

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEFNDcY0i24&feature=player_embedded[/media]
Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We are back online. How I've missed everyone

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXII - Droids & iBerry's