New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Has anyone checked the 2011 Events thread lately

We now have three events on the calendar:

1. July 30th - Solidarity Drive for Levi in the North Country
2. August 13th - Tri-State Drive
3. October 1st - Rensselaer-Columbia Drive

Please mark your calendars and keep an eye open for when the official thread starts.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/841...t__p__20123927
Old 06-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Fairly "uneventfull" summer coming up.
Levi
Old 06-03-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1306519557' post='20623399
For my wife's Si my son has ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110, 215/40,zr18's.
Must be similar to what you got Aashish.
She should be having them put on next week.
Levi
Thats awesome Levi. As a matter of fact I worked longer hours yesterday and day before and went in real early this AM, so I could leave at noon. I'd set up an appointment for tire installation with a guy that is Headchef recommended. This guy comes to your house or place of work with his truck and will mount tires and balance wheels.

So anyways, I got the tires on and the first thing I noticed was how quiet they were and how much easier the car rode over bumps. I've become so used to tire noise from the RS-2's that the quiet makes it feel like there is something amiss. I don't feel every bump and crack in the asphalt now and in a sense that is a relief. Took the car out for a test drive around my usual loop at a rather gentle pace. I sense a little tire squirm going around corners, but it may be psychological as I wasn't really pushing them hard.

At a traffic light I had to make a relatively sudden stop and the tires seemed to grip ok. What really threw me off was the turn I take to get into my neighborhood. I was on the brakes and the car did not slow down as much as I expected it to. No harm done as I was not really going very fast. I squeezed the pedal harder to slow the car enough to start turning in.

I think I have to learn how to drive again with these tires and take it easy until I understand their behavior completely. I know for a fact that handling and grip are not on par with the RS-2/RS-3 and I will have to get used to that. As of now I miss the RS-2's but seeing how two of those had worn past the wear markers down to the cords, it was time to move on. With the road trip I plan to go on, the V12 EVO's should be the perfect fit.

Maybe someday in the future I will buy a set of RS-3's and use them very selectively. I got around 10K miles out of the RS-2's and each of those was well worth it. Here's hoping the new tires are as rewarding too. The quietness is a welcome start for sure
Got tires put on today along with an alignment. So far am 100% happy. Ride is smooth and much quieter than the Yokohamas that were on it. Being able to get the rebate is a bonus. I just hope they can last a few summers....we'll see.
Levi
Old 06-03-2011, 03:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1306521490' post='20623527
[quote name='NNY S2k' timestamp='1306519557' post='20623399']
For my wife's Si my son has ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110, 215/40,zr18's.
Must be similar to what you got Aashish.
She should be having them put on next week.
Levi
Thats awesome Levi. As a matter of fact I worked longer hours yesterday and day before and went in real early this AM, so I could leave at noon. I'd set up an appointment for tire installation with a guy that is Headchef recommended. This guy comes to your house or place of work with his truck and will mount tires and balance wheels.

So anyways, I got the tires on and the first thing I noticed was how quiet they were and how much easier the car rode over bumps. I've become so used to tire noise from the RS-2's that the quiet makes it feel like there is something amiss. I don't feel every bump and crack in the asphalt now and in a sense that is a relief. Took the car out for a test drive around my usual loop at a rather gentle pace. I sense a little tire squirm going around corners, but it may be psychological as I wasn't really pushing them hard.

At a traffic light I had to make a relatively sudden stop and the tires seemed to grip ok. What really threw me off was the turn I take to get into my neighborhood. I was on the brakes and the car did not slow down as much as I expected it to. No harm done as I was not really going very fast. I squeezed the pedal harder to slow the car enough to start turning in.

I think I have to learn how to drive again with these tires and take it easy until I understand their behavior completely. I know for a fact that handling and grip are not on par with the RS-2/RS-3 and I will have to get used to that. As of now I miss the RS-2's but seeing how two of those had worn past the wear markers down to the cords, it was time to move on. With the road trip I plan to go on, the V12 EVO's should be the perfect fit.

Maybe someday in the future I will buy a set of RS-3's and use them very selectively. I got around 10K miles out of the RS-2's and each of those was well worth it. Here's hoping the new tires are as rewarding too. The quietness is a welcome start for sure
Got tires put on today along with an alignment. So far am 100% happy. Ride is smooth and much quieter than the Yokohamas that were on it. Being able to get the rebate is a bonus. I just hope they can last a few summers....we'll see.
Levi
[/quote]

I've put about 200 miles on the tires so far and the grip seems to be improving by the day. I'm feeling more confident as each day goes by. Here's hoping they last for a few seasons. That way I can eventually get RS-3's for my other set of wheels.

oh! and the initial quietness is soon replaced with a little road noise, but definitely not as bad as the RS-2's I had on my car. The car also appears to be soaking up the bumps and surface imperfections better.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

just put down my preorder for my moddiction/international grind short shifter. I missed out on the first round of them... so i wasn't going to miss out this time...

just wish this had come in two months instead of now... oh well. i can always push money around and hold off buying some other things that are needed for the winter beater...
Old 06-03-2011, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Hooray, 1st chance I've had to post today...absolutely buried at work.

Next time you hear someone say that state workers are lazy, send them my way.
I work for the State also and that comment about lazy state workers does not hold true for me either... not enough time in the day.......
Old 06-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Has anyone checked the 2011 Events thread lately

Please mark your calendars and keep an eye open for when the official thread starts.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/841...t__p__20123927
Calendar is marked
http://teamsuzuka.com/events.php
Old 06-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Never hurts to ask/complain... my first AT&T bill was originally $258 which seemed a bit high

I went thru it with a fine tooth comb, found what I was pretty sure were discrepancies and contacted support.

New amount due - $166 - I saved almost $100 with a 5 minute email
Old 06-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

June needs a drive. Why so late in July for the Adirondacks?
Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI