New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

House got slightly damp again Saturday night. Torrential rainstorm (again).

I was walking around the garage during the storm, and the cinderblocks that line the foundation were full of water - right up to nearly an inch from the top. The water table just can't handle any more water. My front lawn hasn't come close to drying out yet.

Got up on the roof to clear out the rain gutters in hopes of better water flow (didn't seem to make a difference). On the plus side, my roof appears to be in better shape than I thought. Plus I finally got rid of that ugly useless satellite dish.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was thrilled to only get a brief rain on Saturday night, but clearly lots of others got pounded because the news was covered with stories about power outages

One of the things that amazed me the most as I traveled around this weekend, it's so strange to see no corn fields, I just don't get how the farmers are going to make it this year, field after field, un-plowed, and looking like a swamp, so sad
Old 05-31-2011, 04:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark355
Maybe a dumb question, but how is the speedometer indicating wheel speed when there's no power being transferred to the wheels?
i think the speed sensor is in the tranny and not at the wheels
Old 05-31-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by zjbunch30' timestamp='1306769870' post='20630825
Got a problem people and need some help/advice.

Down in CT this weekend for a buddies wedding and my S broke down. I went to launch it and something went POP!! Car starts and runs, clutch pedal has pressure, tranny shifts into all gears, Driveshaft is connected, axles are in one peice, but put the tranny in gear and let the clutch out nothing happens except the rpms go up and the the mph start to rise. I'm thinking the Differential is toast. Car has a brand new clutch, pressure plate, and lightened flywheel with about 3000 miles on it. I also replaced the transmission with a low mileage one out an 07 about a month ago. Car has 102,000 on it now. Need some thoughts and if anyone has a diff im pretty sure im in need of it.
Sorry to hear about the problem. I have a diff for sale, but it is an AP1 diff.

AP1 Diff (~40k miles, came out of a wrecked car) $450
im not sure of the difference between the too. can you fill me in?
Old 05-31-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It's a GOOD question and will confirm if it's the diff/rear...
You see speed and not moving, and the shutter for the speedo is on the tailshaft, you know the diff is blown

Originally Posted by zjbunch30
Originally Posted by Mark355' timestamp='1306774403' post='20630972
Maybe a dumb question, but how is the speedometer indicating wheel speed when there's no power being transferred to the wheels?
i think the speed sensor is in the tranny and not at the wheels
Old 05-31-2011, 05:28 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Got back from the North Country. I can't believe how high Lake Champlain is. It has to be 6 to 8 feet above normal, and I think it was even higher a few weeks ago. The boat launch was completely innumdated. No way to launch the boat without fear of losing the car.

I think the bad economy has finally hit Essex. It looks like a ghost town almost. The sewer construction doesn't help.

Lincoln Pond is also very high, maybe 8" above normal. People have been watching the dam, but it looks like it will hold. Had heavy rain showers and thunderstorms Saturday and Sunday.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
It's a GOOD question and will confirm if it's the diff/rear...
You see speed and not moving, and the shutter for the speedo is on the tailshaft, you know the diff is blown
Here is my stupid question/thought
Jack up the rear of the car
Turn one rear wheel forward, look at other rear wheel
If one revolves forward and one revolves backwards the diff is fine
If one revolves forward and the other sits still the diff is blown
Old 05-31-2011, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Got back from the North Country. I can't believe how high Lake Champlain is. It has to be 6 to 8 feet above normal, and I think it was even higher a few weeks ago. The boat launch was completely innumdated. No way to launch the boat without fear of losing the car.
I think the bad economy has finally hit Essex. It looks like a ghost town almost. The sewer construction doesn't help.
Lincoln Pond is also very high, maybe 8" above normal. People have been watching the dam, but it looks like it will hold. Had heavy rain showers and thunderstorms Saturday and Sunday.
Rochester got 13 some inches of rain in March/April/May
The record was 15 some inches back in 1873 as I recall
So we have had the second wettest spring on record
Old 05-31-2011, 05:48 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by zjbunch30
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1306794017' post='20631741
[quote name='zjbunch30' timestamp='1306769870' post='20630825']
Got a problem people and need some help/advice.

Down in CT this weekend for a buddies wedding and my S broke down. I went to launch it and something went POP!! Car starts and runs, clutch pedal has pressure, tranny shifts into all gears, Driveshaft is connected, axles are in one peice, but put the tranny in gear and let the clutch out nothing happens except the rpms go up and the the mph start to rise. I'm thinking the Differential is toast. Car has a brand new clutch, pressure plate, and lightened flywheel with about 3000 miles on it. I also replaced the transmission with a low mileage one out an 07 about a month ago. Car has 102,000 on it now. Need some thoughts and if anyone has a diff im pretty sure im in need of it.
Sorry to hear about the problem. I have a diff for sale, but it is an AP1 diff.

AP1 Diff (~40k miles, came out of a wrecked car) $450
im not sure of the difference between the too. can you fill me in?
[/quote]
I'm pretty sure the driveshaft flange is different, but I think that can be swapped. There may be subtle differences in gearing.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I was thrilled to only get a brief rain on Saturday night, but clearly lots of others got pounded because the news was covered with stories about power outages
We got the heavy winds, hard rain, and a spectacular lightning show Saturday night. Tried to cut the lawn last night, at least 1/2 of it was too wet to get the mower into. The drainage ditch has to be knee deep.

Ellen pulled her car on to the lawn to wax it under a shade tree while I was gone on Sunday. Now I need to get some topsoil to fill the ruts she made. Not sure what she was thinking.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI