New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll trade. One house. Slightly damp.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

For my wife's Si my son has ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110, 215/40,zr18's.
Must be similar to what you got Aashish.
She should be having them put on next week.
Levi
Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
For my wife's Si my son has ordered a set of Hankook Ventus V12 evo k110, 215/40,zr18's.
Must be similar to what you got Aashish.
She should be having them put on next week.
Levi
Thats awesome Levi. As a matter of fact I worked longer hours yesterday and day before and went in real early this AM, so I could leave at noon. I'd set up an appointment for tire installation with a guy that is Headchef recommended. This guy comes to your house or place of work with his truck and will mount tires and balance wheels.

So anyways, I got the tires on and the first thing I noticed was how quiet they were and how much easier the car rode over bumps. I've become so used to tire noise from the RS-2's that the quiet makes it feel like there is something amiss. I don't feel every bump and crack in the asphalt now and in a sense that is a relief. Took the car out for a test drive around my usual loop at a rather gentle pace. I sense a little tire squirm going around corners, but it may be psychological as I wasn't really pushing them hard.

At a traffic light I had to make a relatively sudden stop and the tires seemed to grip ok. What really threw me off was the turn I take to get into my neighborhood. I was on the brakes and the car did not slow down as much as I expected it to. No harm done as I was not really going very fast. I squeezed the pedal harder to slow the car enough to start turning in.

I think I have to learn how to drive again with these tires and take it easy until I understand their behavior completely. I know for a fact that handling and grip are not on par with the RS-2/RS-3 and I will have to get used to that. As of now I miss the RS-2's but seeing how two of those had worn past the wear markers down to the cords, it was time to move on. With the road trip I plan to go on, the V12 EVO's should be the perfect fit.

Maybe someday in the future I will buy a set of RS-3's and use them very selectively. I got around 10K miles out of the RS-2's and each of those was well worth it. Here's hoping the new tires are as rewarding too. The quietness is a welcome start for sure
Old 05-27-2011, 10:39 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I'll trade. One house. Slightly damp.

Knowing Mr. Good Deals, he will trade his house for both of ours and leave us to sort out how to divide it up
Old 05-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Thanks for the tire report Aashish, I'll have to let you know the end of next week what we think of them.
Levi
Old 05-28-2011, 03:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You are welcome Levi. Another hot and muggy day, but I prefer this over the winter cold. How is the weather for you? More rain or did you get some sunny weather. We've had a dry day so far.
Old 05-28-2011, 03:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hung out with Mark355 who was in the neighborhood. Did a little drive. Exchanged cars and woah! that Invidia is awesome. Once I take stock of my financial situation I will have to plan on acquiring one of those. Kudos to Mark, he let me drive his car to the extent possible within speed limits so I could get a feel for the exhaust note. I loved it. We made our way to the local watering hole for legal beverages and lunch following which we did some more driving.

Mark even got to drive the Si. His first FWD car equipped with a manual transmission and he appears to have liked it. That Silverstone of his though is plain awesome. What a car and I only hope I can keep my car as clean as his
Old 05-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Fit and Red today...
Old 05-29-2011, 02:28 AM

Yesterday was another wet day here, on and off thunderstorms all day, still raining this am.....I'm really getting sick of it.
Lawn needs mowing again, too wet to do anything outdoors. Sure hope June is better.
Levi
Old 05-29-2011, 09:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I wish we got some of that rain. Has been dry yesterday & today. Dont want to start watering the lawn. I'm seeing other turn their sprinklers on.

Monaco Grand Prix today - what a race. Absolutely amazing

Indy 500 - Terrific opening ceremony and a very heart-moving one at that. Watched race for a while and mentally switched off. Not too interesting. During the anthem there was a beautiful shot of the stars and stripes against the infield at Indy. Brought back fond memories of F1

Grand-Am at Lime Rock Tomorrow - Set up DVR to record.

Now gotta get out and go do some work

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI