New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-19-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Mark (Crazy_Schizo)

Is your house new? If so, it may be under some sort of statutory warranty. In Connecticut, there is a 1 year statutory new home warranty. Check your contract, and maybe a call to your closing attorney is in order.

It sounds to me like you have a hydrostatic pressure problem that should not exist if the builder properly installed and back filled foundation and footing drains. Or else, you're sitting on an underground spring. I'm not sure how flat your territory is, but around here the goal is to have the footing and foundation drains running to daylight.

I'm also surprised that your sump pump is not able to control the water. You may have the wrong kind, or too small of a sump pump, or maybe you need to deepen the sump that it is sitting in so it starts to pick up the water lower down. My sump pump probably does about 10 gallons a minute, so that would be about 600 gallons per hour (at least until it burns out). I've had my own flooding problems, but usually because the electricity goes out.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:25 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

so yesterday i got a rock chip in my windshield and i called insurance. They guy just came over to fix it and found 8 more chips lol. I'm getting a new windshield tomorrow
Old 05-19-2011, 07:40 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
so yesterday i got a rock chip in my windshield and i called insurance. They guy just came over to fix it and found 8 more chips lol. I'm getting a new windshield tomorrow

take pictures before he comes, so you can be sure he has installed it correctly once he is done. Dont want to have leaks or ill fitting seals.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I'm tired today, not used to 14-hour days on my feet on a concrete floor
I wore a while lab coat, hair net, safety shields on my glasses and ear plugs all day yesterday
I got to experience plastic forming and printing on plastic like I have never seen before
I was in a plant that manufactures plastic food container tubs yesterday
And in this ever advancing world of technology and stale computers, it was so refreshing to run into a true craftsman
The press operator on this particular press did his job "by feel" not by computer
It was an honor to work with someone who can only be called a craftsman
It was refreshing to see and experience
That is very cool. My cousin is creates glass artefacts and it is no joke to be standing in front of a furnace blowing glass into the right shape. I have deep admiration for the skill and focus such jobs require.

Feel better VFR weather is around the corner

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Mark (Crazy_Schizo)

Is your house new? If so, it may be under some sort of statutory warranty.
Jeff, if I recall correctly, he bought the home from some other person. Don't believe it is a new home.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

BTW spotted my first ever 2012 Civic on the street today. It did not stand out, and only when I looked closely was it evident that it was a new Civic. It was sitting in downtown traffic all bland and blended in
Old 05-19-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Is your house new?
Nope, it was built in 1966

It sounds to me like you have a hydrostatic pressure problem that should not exist if the builder properly installed and back filled foundation and footing drains. Or else, you're sitting on an underground spring. I'm not sure how flat your territory is, but around here the goal is to have the footing and foundation drains running to daylight.
I think the problem is we are now getting sewer overflow because everything is so backed up with all the rain that the water simply has nowhere to go anymore. And all of Amherst is a giant swamp anyway.

I'm also surprised that your sump pump is not able to control the water. You may have the wrong kind, or too small of a sump pump, or maybe you need to deepen the sump that it is sitting in so it starts to pick up the water lower down. My sump pump probably does about 10 gallons a minute, so that would be about 600 gallons per hour (at least until it burns out). I've had my own flooding problems, but usually because the electricity goes out.
I don't think the sump pump is the problem, with the sheer volume of water coming in (two 3-inch pipes emptying into the sump at about 50% volume), the water was gushing in. Not a trickle, I'm talking about the equivalent of 4 garden hoses running at once.

I'm having a mason come out and take a look at everything. I need solutions soon, and this is likely to cost me a fortune.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Better get a break by the date of the Formula H show. First time ever the show is on a non-race weekend. If I can't clean the Si enough to be show-worthy I'll just show up to spectate and help.
Would love to have weather like the first year. I'm sure the Civic will be clean enough to show - I still plan to you however for not bringing the S
Old 05-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I wore a while lab coat, hair net, safety shields on my glasses and ear plugs all day yesterday
Where are the photos?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 AM

I saw my Fit twin again leaving the gym when I was getting there. One of these days it's going to be a close enough "sighting" to wave

Switched things a bit today and did 30 minutes on the bike instead of treadmill.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:41 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Would love to have weather like the first year. I'm sure the Civic will be clean enough to show - I still plan to you however for not bringing the S
yep! weather the first year was purrfect. better hope the weather behaves as NH Mark is driving all the way.

Originally Posted by Tadashi
I saw my Fit twin again leaving the gym when I was getting there. One of these days it's going to be a close enough "sighting" to wave
Just be prepared to experience disappointment. They try that waving culture on 8th Civic as well, but it does not work too well because the cars are too common I think. I've had some people look at me funny and therefore will not wave unless waved to

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI