New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-19-2011, 04:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Basement flooded again last night. Torrential downpour that lasted for half an hour. Storm sewers full. Ground water table saturated. No place for the water to go. Sump pump couldn't keep up with it anymore. I was bailing out my basement window. Crack in the garage has enlarged, now water is pouring out of the crack rather than trickling out of it. New crack in basement room trickling water. Moat around front door and garage (and my front yard drains off to the street). Mulch washed out of rock garden near sidewalk. 2nd smaller swimming pool now in backyard. Water backed up in basin sink in basement.
I feel your pain, houses can be a challenge for sure, sorry, so sorry to know you and Sarah are going through this
Old 05-19-2011, 05:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

That is crazy Marc. I hope we all have some relief from all this weather soon, most of all you guys.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

When I had the house inspection performed, I asked about some of the stress cracks I saw in the concrete. The home inspector said it shouldn't be a problem unless we had "Biblical" amounts of rain.

I think this spring qualifies.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh, and my comment of the night last night as I watched the sump pump finally unable to keep up with the volume of water coming in (about 6 beers in):

"Start up the violins. The Titanic is going down!"
Old 05-19-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I remember a flash flood that hit my neighborhood in Henrietta. Rain came so quick that the streets had close to 2 feet of water in places. I was fortunate that my house was on high ground, but I was in a lowered X1/9 driving home from work. Had to park in a church parking lot for about an hour, waiting for the water to drain. I tried 4 different ways to get to my house, and all were cut off by the flood.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 AM
Community Organizer
Community OrganizerMember (Premium)

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

good morning.

I thought of something kind of funny this morning and i'd like to share. When i leave my house in the morning i go through 5 traffic circles in a row before i hit the northway to head to work. In the truck this is eh, in the s2k and a little rain it is quite fun to kick the ass end around and take victory laps in the circles
Old 05-19-2011, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Marc, sorry to hear about the water problems! We have definitely had torrential downpours the last week

Looks like we are getting a break here hopefully on Sunday and then nice into next week.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by jsenclosure
good morning.

I thought of something kind of funny this morning and i'd like to share. When i leave my house in the morning i go through 5 traffic circles in a row before i hit the northway to head to work. In the truck this is eh, in the s2k and a little rain it is quite fun to kick the ass end around and take victory laps in the circles
Glad you are enjoying the car. Be careful though. would say it is fun to drift the truck. Wonder where he is at today?

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Looks like we are getting a break here hopefully on Sunday and then nice into next week.
Better get a break by the date of the Formula H show. First time ever the show is on a non-race weekend. If I can't clean the Si enough to be show-worthy I'll just show up to spectate and help.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Are you speaking of the hatchery near Lake Clear?
No Levi, I was thinking of the fish hatchery near Crown Point. Of course we don't have to stop there if people don't wish to. I was thinking we would go past Penfield, but that's only 10 minutes from the exit, so probably too early to stop, then towards Crown Point (on Route 2 ???), then towards Ticonderoga along the lake, then back north on Route 7 towards Ensign Pond Rd (Moriah Corners?), then Ensign Pond if it is open, then North on Route 9, then Tracey Road, then towards Port Henry, then north along the Lake to Westport, then towards Essex, then east on 22 and 12 ?? towards Lewis, then back south on 9 towards E-Town, then to New Russia, then Symonds Hill towards the Lincoln Pond Road, then back towards Tracey Road and do it again in reverse, and back to Exit 31.

They only problem with this route is there is no real place to stop to eat. So maybe a divert to the Noonmark diner in Keene Valley. Or maybe a divert from Crown Point into Vermont and south to Middlebury where I'm sure we can find a place to eat. I took the free ferry into Vermont and wandered down to Middlebury this winter and was very impressed with the campus and the town. It might be cool to go there, then work north through Vermont to Charlotte and take the Ferry back to Essex.

As with past Solidarity drives, this may be a "seat of the pants" operation. My goal is to avoid traffic, so I plan to stay away from Lake Placid at all costs.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm tired today, not used to 14-hour days on my feet on a concrete floor
I wore a while lab coat, hair net, safety shields on my glasses and ear plugs all day yesterday
I got to experience plastic forming and printing on plastic like I have never seen before
I was in a plant that manufactures plastic food container tubs yesterday
And in this ever advancing world of technology and stale computers, it was so refreshing to run into a true craftsman
The press operator on this particular press did his job "by feel" not by computer
It was an honor to work with someone who can only be called a craftsman
It was refreshing to see and experience

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI