New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Performed oil change on the S2000 yesterday. Put on less than 1000 miles since the last time oil was changed at Jeff's and it amazed me to see how much the oil had deteriorated since then, especially when comparing with the new fluid.

Anyways the reason I was posting was how thorough Jeff was with torquing the drain bolt (yes, last time I was there, he did everything for me as he talked me through it). It was tightened just right. All I needed to open it was a little pressure (possibly not more than the 29 lb-ft that it requires). Contrast this with the caliper bolts on the Si. Either they were overtightened by the dealership or they became hard to remove because of daily driving through the winter. These caliper bolts took substantially more effort to open.

So as the oil was draining, I silently thanked him. He indirectly reinforced his lesson to me on torquing to spec at the moment I applied pressure to open the drain bolt. I was careful putting it back since I now had new appreciation of torquing to spec. Same with the filter, it came off easy and I was gentle when I tightened it.

Took the S and went out to dinner afterwards. Checked for leaks in the AM as well and it appears to be fine. Thanks Jeff

Old 05-13-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
I think the NYS Troopers must follow the lead of their brethren from the state of Washington

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/12/w...-left-lane-is/

Left Lane hogs must be ticketed.
I sure hope so. I can't begin to tell you how many people I passed on the right while driving on the highway last weekend.

Also, the people who can't pick a speed. I chit you not, there was one guy who couldn't decide whether he was going to do 60 or 90. How freaking hard is it to just lock the cruise control on whatever speed you want to do?

Heck, my first car didn't have cruise control, and I could keep up a steady speed better than most cruise controls can.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Old 05-13-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Ah yes, good old "R3VO 3VOM"
Old 05-13-2011, 06:09 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1305291529' post='20571422
I think the NYS Troopers must follow the lead of their brethren from the state of Washington

http://www.autoblog....e-left-lane-is/

I sure hope so. I can't begin to tell you how many people I passed on the right while driving on the highway last weekend.

Also, the people who can't pick a speed. I chit you not, there was one guy who couldn't decide whether he was going to do 60 or 90. How freaking hard is it to just lock the cruise control on whatever speed you want to do?

Heck, my first car didn't have cruise control, and I could keep up a steady speed better than most cruise controls can.
I hate it when people in the left lane ain't even going the speed limit (as long as conditions warrent it)
Levi
Old 05-13-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo' timestamp='1305294701' post='20571612
[quote name='aashish2' timestamp='1305291529' post='20571422']

http://www.autoblog....e-left-lane-is/

I hate it when people in the left lane ain't even going the speed limit (as long as conditions warrent it)
Levi
[/quote]
I don't have too much problem with someone in the left lane doing the speed limit...as long as they are PASSING! I have no tolerance for people cruising in the left lane.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks A2 for kind words re oil change.
Note: PCX filter require more force than you can do by hand to tighten.
Specs are on the can... Even with my once beefy arms, I gave it all I had by hand then checked it with a torque wrench and filter socket.
I was only s bit more than halfway there.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by NNY S2k' timestamp='1305285782' post='20571229
Sunny am before the rain rolls in later today and is supposed to be wet for the next 8 days.
Levi
I too am
My sump pump finally got to a point where it is running only a few times an day, and now it looks like we are going right back into monsoon season
Honestly, I'm amazed, I have driven the cars to work every day this week, but that won't happen again for a while

Like I said before summer won't show up until June 1st. I have not driven or started my S this year with the weather being what it is why even bother. Some of you did not believe me when I posted the same thing back in early April or march Do you believe me now? The weather sucks 2011 known as the year with a horrible winter the year without a spring and soon to be known as having only 1/4 of a summer.
But for me there is a bright side no useless wear and tear on my S

Hope all are well.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:50 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Re left lane...

I'd buy a bumper sticker for all my cars if it said, "LEFT LANE MORON... Are you stupid, poorly trained, or both?"
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
Thanks A2 for kind words re oil change.
Note: PCX filter require more force than you can do by hand to tighten.
Specs are on the can... Even with my once beefy arms, I gave it all I had by hand then checked it with a torque wrench and filter socket.
I was only s bit more than halfway there.

Used the Honda PCX filter wrench and tightened it. From where I was located, I could not see the markings on the filter, but I set Torque wrench to 18 lb-ft (just to be safe) and once I got the filter tight by hand, used the wrench to tighten it. I checked for leaks and there seemed to be none, so :fingercrossed: I did that right

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI