New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
I have been good. Busy but good. Since the Dragon I've bought a house, moved into said house, track day at Watkins Glen, track day at Lime Rock, and took a promotion and new task at work.
Holy cow, lots going on! Congrats on the house! Are you still near where you used to rent the house?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:42 PM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy' timestamp='1309201332' post='20724192
Jeff eluded to this subject in the D&D thread and rather than go off-topic in there I thought I'd bring the question up here...

What does everyone think about buying up "spare" stuff for their S? If you are planning on keeping your S long-term, what items
would you buy and put away to have when Honda no longer makes them?
If I had money and space, I would be buying every part I could get my hands on! I'm used to having OLD cars that you can't get parts for anymore... when you find something at a dealer NOS or flea market you stock up!

It will NOT be that long before Honda starts discontinuing items for this car... it was a low production model and once it hits 10 years plus out of production you will slowly find it's harder and harder to get "stuff" you want.

When I had my Prelude, a friend bought me a set of OEM NOS tail lights - $10 each! They probably retailed for $75 new back in 1980 and had been "not available" for 10 years at that point

The only good side is that with the cult following world wide people will probably begin production of un-obtainable parts - many people are doing this with the S600 popular replacement parts. I have bought parts here in the US for Prelude owners and shipped them to several countries where the owners could not buy them. Buy the parts while you can get 'em
Yeah I know you'd buy a whole car's worth of parts Ellen.

Trying to prune down that list a little and buy things that a) will wear over time and make the car look
like crap and/or b) parts that are not likely to ever be reproduced by aftermarket companies. I know no
one can predict that, but, if folks know of parts that someone should definitely stock up on now, that's
what I'm looking for.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If money were no issue I would have several S put away in a bubble for later use

Anything color specific will be the first to go. For ex: Spa windshield washer fluid squirters are no longer available...

Tom ordered the person two new Rio colored squirters and they replaced both sides so it would not be quite so obvious.

Other things that fade sooner are items that are readily available by aftermarket or in the S case performance replacements (brakes, exhaust), body panels become hard to get after 15 years or so.

It is impossible to know but we can only hope the large following will help parts stay available for our life times
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1309197981' post='20723963
But we still love you
Enough to give me your wheels?
No, 'cause bronze would look like crap on your blue
Old 06-28-2011, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak
f@#kING SHIT!!! i just backed into a god damn pole. Will need to get rear bumper and quarter painted as well as bondo/metal worked. there's 700 bucks that i DON'T have.

Gilly I am sooooo sorry to read this
Best of luck
This has to hurt a lot
I'm really sorry bud
Old 06-28-2011, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Saw the 911 GT3 Cup Car in the metal and then after I saw them out on track. P-cars rock
AASH
HE'S ALIVE....

Old 06-28-2011, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1309198271' post='20723981
That is sleek Never had a car with a spoiler - except the 2010 Civic Would love to have one on the S someday but there are just too many other things I want and need more
I just love that design, so sleek, and the way it becomes a part of the 3rd brake light, so much better than most
I think I'm going to order the knockoff and take the chance on getting it painted
I want to pay Skip a visit this weekend and see how his paint guy matched Spa

The ABS Dynamic knockoff is only $130, fiberglass, a perfectly fine material, I don't need no stinking carbon fiber thing if it is only going to be painted
Old 06-28-2011, 04:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gilly_S2KFreak
Originally Posted by daktruckie99' timestamp='1309206375' post='20724580
I have been good. Busy but good. Since the Dragon I've bought a house, moved into said house, track day at Watkins Glen, track day at Lime Rock, and took a promotion and new task at work.

Summer is flying by!

How are you enjoying the working life as opposed to school?
Edit: congrats on the house!!!! its a big pain in the ass moving into a new house... fixing crap, settling in, fixing crap, dealing with the mrs freaking out because the box where she packed her shoes is missing, fixing crap.
It can be yes, but I bought a new house so I don't have to 'fix' as much. I'll fix it as it breaks but I don't have to play catch-up with previous owner negligence. This one's 8 years old and the previous owners babied it.

Originally Posted by daktruckie99' timestamp='1309206375' post='20724580
Holy cow, lots going on! Congrats on the house! Are you still near where you used to rent the house?
I have moved twice since you came to my last place. I am a few towns over, but same general area.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
The ABS Dynamic knockoff is only $130, fiberglass, a perfectly fine material, I don't need no stinking carbon fiber thing if it is only going to be painted
I've got a couple of spray cans of Suzuka, I'll sell you.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:43 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Stayed up too late last night. Mr. Good Deals struck out on an Ebay auction at 11:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI