New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 06-23-2011, 03:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And last but not least, for this morning's news, I had a very, very close call coming into work this morning
Closer as in I still can't believe I did not hit it
From my driver's seat out over the hood it looked to me like a crash was imminent
I was stopped at a signal light, light turns green, I edge out, look both ways, and cross the road
I shift into second, and then into 3rd, might have been up to 4th, only doing 35-39 mph, just poking my way into work
I look out over the Genesee River and down Black Creek, just a quick glance
But I see a white pickup at the boat launch that looks like he is in trouble, backed or slipped way too far down into the water
I'm distracted, my eyes are off the road for just a few seconds, and when I look back to where I'm going there is this f'ing forest rodent running across the road
When I see it I'm no farther than 20 feet away and it's running fast to the right, across my path
My hands are on the wheel at 10 and 2 and I just yank the wheel to the left as I'm not going fast at all
As the truck swings left the deer's asss just passes the right front corner of the pickup
Damn, that was close
Hope the guy at the boat launch made out as good as I did...
Old 06-23-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Crazy deer near-miss story from high school that I still can't believe to this day, 15 years later...

I was driving home late one night, and I was on a back country road. Farmer fields on both sides of me, very flat. Driving west, and the sun is setting right on the horizon. Pretty much, I can hardly see a thing, even with my sunglasses on. All of a sudden, two deer leap out into the road, one after the other. The first deer passes by the front bumper, I barely miss him. I drive between the two deer. I see the following deer run past in my rear view mirror.

You could have given me a hundred attempts at that, and I doubt I could ever repeat that feat.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:58 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Never heard them referred to as a forest rodent, that's funny.
Levi
Old 06-23-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Crazy deer near-miss story from high school that I still can't believe to this day, 15 years later...
My best one was on the Nighthawk

Stopped at intersection, waiting to make a left turn onto another road, waiting for chevy cavalier to pass intersection so I can pull out, cavalier passes, I pull out, straight flat road, mid day, perfect visability, farm fields both sides of the road, I catch up to the cavalier quick, downshift, go for the pass, making this pass a fast one, flying past, see out the corner of my eye this thing running accross the field, coming towards me, it's tiny, must be a woodchuck, I'm in the left lane, no oncoming traffic, the animal is on the left side of the road, so I'm in the lane closest to it, going like hell to make the pass, and all of a sudden, holy f'ing hell, a deer jumps up on the road and is about to run straight across my path, the field was way lower than I though, that was not a woodchuck, that was the head of the deer I saw, as soon as the deer jumps onto the road, it slips, its hooves have no grip, the deer falls down on the road, slowing it down, I fly past the deer as it is now sliding across the left lane into the right lane, how the back tire did not run over its leg I will never know, it was really close, the deer is now in the right lane, the cavalier jams the brakes, skids, and whack, hits the deer as it slides across the road and humps up onto the side of the deer and is stuck, front wheels off the ground, in simple terms, that was the best pass of my life...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
Never heard them referred to as a forest rodent, that's funny.
Levi
Thanks...

After the deer hit with the Titan I made that term up
When the Titan, 5,000 pounds of beastly full-size truck, going well above the posted speed limit hit that deer, it was like hitting a mouse with a baseball bat, the deer went into pieces, damn thing should never have leapt out of the woods, so to me they are just pests that live in the woods, thus, Forest Rodent.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
HEY JEFF

Any chance your ranger will come home sooner because of the announcement last night?
About a month left in his tour.
Thank God.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

No love for deer over here either...unless they're on my dinner plate with a nice mushroom & tarragon cream sauce.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 AM

And, while we are on the subject, I would just like to say, I have a theory, and this theory has come from much actual experience

I believe these things are a total waste

I think the best deer protection for the money is this

It seems to me, the louder the vehicle, the sooner the deer start to run, in the quiet truck when I see a deer run across the road, I'm like right on top of it. When I see one in the S the deer is running across the road farther in front of me, and when I see one run across the road on the VFR, they are way out in front of me as that thing is just stupid loud, which I love. I'm convinced, the best mod you can make to your vehicle if you drive where the Forest Rodents thrive, is a really loud exhaust. Tell them you are coming from as far away as you can!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Here he is last week receiving a combat infantry award ...
Old 06-23-2011, 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1308827675' post='20711406
HEY JEFF
Any chance your ranger will come home sooner because of the announcement last night?
About a month left in his tour.
Thank God.
Totally cool!

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI