New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 05-11-2011, 09:42 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Originally Posted by AllWorldLax' timestamp='1305056139' post='20560090
Oh shit I almost lost coffee thru my nose
I may have to steal that for my Team Suzuka web site
You could add "Stay in VTEC my friends" to that.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1305119545' post='20562988
I knew he had one.

If you kept up with what people post in the Upstate forum, you would have known this too.
Now that you have seen part one, the bigger and better sequel is in motion.

Coming soon to an Upstate Off-Topic Chat thread near you

Hey! Aash, go to the Doghouse and never come back. Shame on you for not telling me that
A) Ellen bought a Fit
B) Cone Mark no longer Autocrosses his S2000
C) Crazy Marc drives a Nissan Frontier
D) Jeff drives a Tundra
E) Only Roadsters are allowed at Knapp

F) Our CO drops the ball...again
Old 05-11-2011, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This just in from the CR-Z Forum
I think this is so damn funny because it seems to indicate real world application of the ECON Mode in a CR-Z can indeed cause the driver to lower the fuel economy because so much of the limited power has been taken from the engine, in an attempt to be fuel efficient
This is totally hysterical to me
What on earth was Honda thinking????

just posting this thread to see who else gets better mpg when using sport mode? when i first got the car i used to drive in normal all the time (sometimes econ) and always found myself being on the gas pedal longer than i need to. then i tried neutral coasting and that was able to net me a few more mpg. i never put it in sport in fear my mpg would drop drastically coz i'll just be romping on it. however, recently, i've been putting it in sport and i find it easier to keep off the gas more. my commute to and from work used to get me around 42mpg. now, using sport mode i net anywhere between 45-50mpg roundtrip. its just the city driving when im not going to work that kills my average. i used to average between 32-35mpg and now am averaging 38-39mpg on my last two or three fillups. hoping to push 40mpg+ one day, but all these stoplights in my town gets the best of me.

in essence, i know the different modes only adjust the throttle input to "help" the average driver get more mpg, but after learning how to drive this thing, what i'm trying to ask is who else keeps it in sport because they get better gas mileage?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H

I think this is so damn funny because it seems to indicate real world application of the ECON Mode in a CR-Z can indeed cause the driver to lower the fuel economy because so much of the limited power has been taken from the engine, in an attempt to be fuel efficient
Apparently this is a common finding, but it applies to the 6MT not the SVT
How funny, Honda's great sporty hybrid gets better fuel economy when sport mode is used and the economy mode is not used
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

just posting this thread to see who else gets better mpg when using sport mode? when i first got the car i used to drive in normal all the time (sometimes econ) and always found myself being on the gas pedal longer than i need to. then i tried neutral coasting and that was able to net me a few more mpg. i never put it in sport in fear my mpg would drop drastically coz i'll just be romping on it. however, recently, i've been putting it in sport and i find it easier to keep off the gas more. my commute to and from work used to get me around 42mpg. now, using sport mode i net anywhere between 45-50mpg roundtrip. its just the city driving when im not going to work that kills my average. i used to average between 32-35mpg and now am averaging 38-39mpg on my last two or three fillups. hoping to push 40mpg+ one day, but all these stoplights in my town gets the best of me.

in essence, i know the different modes only adjust the throttle input to "help" the average driver get more mpg, but after learning how to drive this thing, what i'm trying to ask is who else keeps it in sport because they get better gas mileage?
Im sure Jonboy would disagree with that
Old 05-11-2011, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Im sure Jonboy would disagree with that
Some things in life you can count on...

I find it really interesting, and having driven one I can understand why this could work out that way
I found while I was in ECON and the car was so gutless I was on the gas a bit harder and longer so as to get up to speed, just to be safe and in the mix with other cars
The bane of good economy is lots of movement with the gas pedal
Honda seems to want to add this ECON button into everything, kind of funny now seeing eveidence that it does not accomplish chit is some cars
Old 05-11-2011, 10:19 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I find it really interesting, and having driven one I can understand why this could work out that way
I found while I was in ECON and the car was so gutless I was on the gas a bit harder and longer so as to get up to speed, just to be safe and in the mix with other cars
The bane of good economy is lots of movement with the gas pedal
Honda seems to want to add this ECON button into everything, kind of funny now seeing eveidence that it does not accomplish chit is some cars
I think ECON mode setting should only be enabled when the car is in a 30-35 MPH zone and that too be the choice of the owner. You are correct. Setting the car in ECON and stomping on the pedal will likely kill more trees than just leaving it in sport and being smooth with driving inputs.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Just came back from a visit to an environmental test lab on the east side of the city. Got to enjoy a nice ride on the VFR there and back.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:33 AM

Why can't they just make this in a 3-door...

Old 05-11-2011, 10:34 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ oh! no's

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI