New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread XXI

Old 06-09-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Aash, what's it like riding around in that S2000 Coupe of yours, windows all rolled up, air conditioning cranked...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone thinks I am nuts but I run the AC with top down all the time
Old 06-09-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Break times over Back to coding.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:30 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1307626535' post='20665039
Save your pennies! I just got a price on a stained/stamped concrete walkway, from front steps to street. It's neither very wide nor long and it was a lot more $$ than I thought. We may settle for "plain Jane" concrete. One company told me flat out they don't even quote on any job less than 4K.
My neighbor knows a guy...
He just had his done, it's larger than mine, and they did an awesome job, $5,000
Impressive. I've got quotes of 3K for an asphalt driveway. The cost of a stamped concrete walkway 6' wide at the base of steps tapering to 5' wasn't much less than that 3K.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Everyone thinks I am nuts but I run the AC with top down all the time
I do too on those really muggy days
Question is though, what setting do you use, the FLOOR, the OPEN TOP, the FLOOR & DASH?
For me I prefer the FLOOR setting, after a while the cold just starts to be all encompasing
I find the the OPEN TOP, and the FLOOR & DASH settings just let too much cold air escape
Old 06-09-2011, 06:34 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Hey Aash, what's it like riding around in that S2000 Coupe of yours, windows all rolled up, air conditioning cranked...

Did you not see my status update (on S2KI book)

I love it. It feels like an entirely new car. With the added weight (44 lbs) it feels like the rear is more planted than before. Although I'm still taking it easy so as to fully come to grips with the car.

I can actually hear the car while in traffic and that is very important to me. Improves driveability a lot. I dont have to look down to see where the revs are at as I can actually tell by the sound. I dont think I will need an exhaust after all as I can hear the car now.

The interior like Mike said, is very roomy and not claustrophobic in any way. It is roomier than the cloth-top. I can't believe how quiet the interior is. No more soft top rattle or other noises. I'd say it is now much quieter than the Civic and I will need to get RS-3's for some road noise.

Also it appears that more people are doing a double-take when they see the car. Earlier not too many people would notice it or care about it - I have never had the kind of attention people say they receive. With the hardtop though it is very palpable. On the day we were going to Lime Rock, we were sitting at a light waiting to turn left. I was counting the cars going by and several of them looked strongly at the car. One guy kept looking at the car and as he went past, kept looking back again and again. That however is one thing I'm not enjoying too much. I have always preferred flying under the radar, and hate bringing attention to myself.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Impressive. I've got quotes of 3K for an asphalt driveway. The cost of a stamped concrete walkway 6' wide at the base of steps tapering to 5' wasn't much less than that 3K.
There were strings attached I'm afraid, but, I'm like my neighbor, I could handle the strings...
The contractor gave that price based upon "we will set no schedule to do your driveway, we will warn you before we start so you can get your cars out of the garage, but we will make no promises when it will be done other than sometime within 6-weeks after we get started."
The contractor used his driveway as a filler job, when his small crew was down because of other job site issues they would stop over and work on his driveway
Sometime they would be there for half a day, sometimes for only a couple hours.
The job did indeed drag out, but the contractor was happy to keep his crew busy, and my neighbor was thrilled to get a concrete driveway at a very cost effective price.
Mind you, he did not even have blacktop, he had lives with a gravel driveway for decades.

It was kind of fun coming home once in a while and see a white Civic Si like Aash has, parked in my driveway
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1307629022' post='20665187
Did you not see my status update (on S2KI book)
I love it. It feels like an entirely new car. With the added weight (44 lbs) it feels like the rear is more planted than before. Although I'm still taking it easy so as to fully come to grips with the car.
I can actually hear the car while in traffic and that is very important to me. Improves driveability a lot. I dont have to look down to see where the revs are at as I can actually tell by the sound. I dont think I will need an exhaust after all as I can hear the car now.
The interior like Mike said, is very roomy and not claustrophobic in any way. It is roomier than the cloth-top. I can't believe how quiet the interior is. No more soft top rattle or other noises. I'd say it is now much quieter than the Civic and I will need to get RS-3's for some road noise.
Also it appears that more people are doing a double-take when they see the car. Earlier not too many people would notice it or care about it - I have never had the kind of attention people say they receive. With the hardtop though it is very palpable. On the day we were going to Lime Rock, we were sitting at a light waiting to turn left. I was counting the cars going by and several of them looked strongly at the car. One guy kept looking at the car and as he went past, kept looking back again and again. That however is one thing I'm not enjoying too much. I have always preferred flying under the radar, and hate bringing attention to myself.
I don't know what that is, and I'm perfectly ok with that

Yes, the HT does indeed increat the looks. To me it's because the design is so perfect, the HT on the car makes the car look like a Coupe, not like a convertible with a hard top added.

All the things you say are tru, I just love my HT! But I could never go through an entire summer with it on...
Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I don't know what that is, and I'm perfectly ok with that

But I could never go through an entire summer with it on...
oh! its the status update thingy that one can do on S2KI. You post a status and people respond to it.

As far as going through an entire summer, we shall see. As I told my significant other that questioned the need for a HT, "Do I look like I need a tan?"
Old 06-09-2011, 06:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

The S2000 is dead. Lotus is killing the current Elise and Exige. They can't keep building cars without airbags and Danny boy wants the Porsche customer so those will get bigger and bulkier I'm sure.

Mazda is stepping in to occupy that space and how.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/08/m...-400-pounds-l/

^ They plan to build a Miata that is lighter than the NA1. Way to go guys

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread XXI