New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 09-19-2017, 04:11 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Crazy day at work so I didn't get to post this.

Had someone come back from Buffalo and they brought donuts from Paula's Donuts. Really enjoyed them. Marc & Shiv - do you know this place?

If if I ever visit Buffalo, I'll need to stop by there for sure. Mr. Oversteery, next time you're driving a car with proper climate control I'll probably count on you to get me some
They have two locations, one on Sheridan in Tonawanda, and another in Clarence near Harris Hill & Main. Both are equally good.

I particularly enjoy the glazed red velvet. I only treat myself to their wares only a couple of times a year, else I'd weigh double. I don't think I've had a bad donut from them.

We went to see Alton Brown from Food Network a couple years ago. He made it a point to go to Paula's while he was in town.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Local cruise night has a hill between the road and the show field. They hire security to keep spectators off the hill. There are still some shenanigans, but not as bad when there are no spectators. The local cops sit just around the corner too.
At our drivers meeting for autocross, the solo chair always makes it a point to inform everyone to leave the site in an orderly and safe manner so that we don't have issues with the site owners or the police. Never seen a competitor leave in an unsafe manner. It's usually the guys that come to spectate that drive some kind of a performance car or a fart canned car that try to make a statement. Perhaps C&C should make safety a mandatory point that is stated at the event.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
They have two locations, one on Sheridan in Tonawanda, and another in Clarence near Harris Hill & Main. Both are equally good.

I particularly enjoy the glazed red velvet. I only treat myself to their wares only a couple of times a year, else I'd weigh double. I don't think I've had a bad donut from them.

We went to see Alton Brown from Food Network a couple years ago. He made it a point to go to Paula's while he was in town.
I read about Alton Brown visiting there. I tried the red velvet donut hole myself as well as a peanut butter version. Both of those were good. Not a donut guy myself given how prosperous I am but this was worth trying. IMO, for a foodie Buffalo and Rochester are the places to be or maybe it's just a case of the grass being greener in western NY
Old 09-19-2017, 07:54 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

You're not wrong. National Geographic named Buffalo one of its top food cities in the world.

Now I'm not sure if I'd put the 716 in the top worldwide, but we do eat pretty well here.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Interesting list. I've been to one city in that list. Should make a visit to Buffalo at some point so I can check off another city on that list.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Came across this on Facebook and thought I’d share here. I had no idea Nissan has built a concept car like this that they actually took to limited production as spec racing cars.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Saurus

Old 09-20-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1968 and my first visit to Buffalo, traveling from Morrisville with a classmate, to the Aud for a high school basketball game. There I had my first "beef on wick". Love at first bite!
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryWho
1968 and my first visit to Buffalo, traveling from Morrisville with a classmate, to the Aud for a high school basketball game. There I had my first "beef on wick". Love at first bite!
1981 and my first visit to Buffalo, traveling from Morrisville with a classmate, to Rich Stadium for the Rolling Stones concert. Didn't experience beef on weck or wings.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I grew up in the promised land of Western NY., didn't know how good I had it till I moved away.
Levi
Old 09-20-2017, 04:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I was talking to someone at work and the topic came up about what Albany was known for: Buffalo is known for wings, Roc has the Garbage Plate, Syracuse has Riggies, but tried as we might, neither her nor I were able to come up with one specific food item that Albany was known for. Then a third person joined the conversation and essentially said the reason for that was Gov. Rockefeller, seeing how he decided to use eminent domain to raze entire neighborhoods that had ethnic communities living there in order to build the Empire State Plaza adjacent to the State Capitol. Had these communities continued to live there, he opined some kind of gastronomic creation would have certainly come out of it.

oh! and I do remember that one time, I saw this kid in the airport wearing a shirt about Albany. It had Albany on a map and said something along the lines of "3 hours from every place awesome" with lines drawn to Boston, Montreal and NYC.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII