New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 11-04-2016, 03:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
They already dumped salt here Friday before last IIRC.

After that it did rain and the roads are still driveable. But at this point I think it is best to park it. I don't drive the car to work and it is usually dark by the time I am home and not a lot of fun going out for a drive.

We did go on a drive this Wednesday when the temps were in the 60's. I explained understeer and oversteer and told my wife what Greg and Jim Garry said I need on the car. She seemed receptive to the idea. I did not talk costs of swaybar, coilovers, wing and tires though
Idk she seemed to like the idea of using the wing as a storage rack when she saw mine LOL
Old 11-04-2016, 03:50 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Just realized that the Tire Rack Street Survival School is on Sunday. I was getting prepared to head out early tomorrow and then I read the email from the organizer. In the past they've held the event on Saturday so that what had me thinking it was then.

Sent Greg an email and a text message as I think he too was under the impression that the school is on Saturday. For some reason, they put me down as a senior instructor that will be mentoring new instructors. I think that is a nice way of saying I will be picking up cones in the cold. So much for me thinking they'd be short of instructors as usual and signing up to coach students in both groups so I can relax in heated comfort

Shiv - She did like the wing. She does think I need to get a car with proper seats etc. I'm not sure she knows how much that will cost
Old 11-05-2016, 04:35 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

What time is it? Remote chance I can come up. (Assumes I'm not hung over - Glenn coming for dinner & negronis)
Old 11-05-2016, 05:42 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
What time is it? Remote chance I can come up. (Assumes I'm not hung over - Glenn coming for dinner & negronis)
the street Survival school??

He wants us there at 8 AM to register. The school will end at 4:30ish. If you swing by there, and don't see us in the museum parking lot, just know that we will be doing the exercises in the Rte 50 parking lot. To get there you'd go towards Rte 50 from the museum. Make a left at the light and drive down Rte 50 and make a left again at the first traffic light into a parking lot. You should see cones set up there.

It may be better to park at the Museum and walk from behind there to the parking lot where we will be conducting the exercises as they probably won't have room for cars to park in the bigger lot where the exercises will be held.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have fun at SSS tomorrow you guys. Worthy cause and worth the time and effort!
Old 11-05-2016, 02:48 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks Paul. It should be fun and hopefully they find me a student to instruct versus picking up cones.

Figured I'd take the S2000 out for a short drive, burn up the gas and then fill it up with 91 Octane free from Stewarts and wash and vaccum it in prep for storage. As we went out on the drive, I just felt like going and going and what was supposed to be a 20 - 30 minute drive turned into a 4 hour drive that also included a very late stop for lunch. Got back home and went out for a walk. Figure since it is dark and the time will fall back tomorrow, I will hold off storing the car until Veterans Day. I'll likely put it in storage next weekend. Hopefully it will be warm enough for washing the car and getting a coat of wax on it. With todays drive I am about 20 miles shy of 4000 miles for the season.
Old 11-05-2016, 06:36 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Not able to make it.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:05 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Thanks Paul. It should be fun and hopefully they find me a student to instruct versus picking up cones.

Figured I'd take the S2000 out for a short drive, burn up the gas and then fill it up with 91 Octane free from Stewarts and wash and vaccum it in prep for storage. As we went out on the drive, I just felt like going and going and what was supposed to be a 20 - 30 minute drive turned into a 4 hour drive that also included a very late stop for lunch. Got back home and went out for a walk. Figure since it is dark and the time will fall back tomorrow, I will hold off storing the car until Veterans Day. I'll likely put it in storage next weekend. Hopefully it will be warm enough for washing the car and getting a coat of wax on it. With todays drive I am about 20 miles shy of 4000 miles for the season.
That's about 3640 more miles than mine in 2016.
Levi
Old 11-06-2016, 02:56 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Just got home from Street Survival. It was good to see Greg and also meet his co-worker Ernie, that also owns an 06 AP2 Silverstone. It was Ernie's first time instructing and I was paired with him as his mentor. Ernie has an ice racing background and didn't really need me to mentor him, but it was fun to hang out with a fellow S2000 owner as we tried to work with the student we had.

Greg's student was driving an Impreza and was doing very well. I rode along on one of his runs and tried to distract him but he was very wise to what I was trying to do. My student was very green. He got his license in January and his parents get him about 20 minutes of seat time a few times a month. It seemed to me that if he felt he was going slow, he would mash the go pedal without caring about what was ahead. Both Ernie and I had our hands full and at one point he was event pointed straight at the fire man who was squatting down on the ground with the hose keeping the skidpad wet. I think I lost it at that point, but curbed my temper.

I tried to put myself in his shoes. Hasn't been driving long enough. The cones are probably confusing the hell out of him and he is probably a bit overwhelmed with all the instruction he is receiving. So I backed it off a bit. After each lap I focused on what he did well and went over what he should have done some other way. Ernie too chimed in with good examples and words of wisdom and our student did improve over the course of the day. I talked to his mother and had her call his father down so he could show them what he'd learned. During the second session, I let Ernie instruct and took the back seat. Also played a distracting role and needless to say he was distracted easily. But he is young and finding his feet. He doesn't value the equipment he has on hand and bangs the shift lever around and treats the gas pedal and brake as an on/off switch. He is enamored of the Maserati that belongs to his aunt, his cousins BMW and his grandfathers Porsche, but doesnt seem to care much for his mothers Mazda 3 and his dad's Nissan truck. Over lunch I was talking to his mother and she said that his grandfather holds the lap record at Bridgehampton Speedway. Anyways Ernie and I tried to enforce the idea of how much fun the Mazda 3 is and that skill mattered more so than equipment. Also shared some basics of driving and about what the tire could do at any one time. Asked his parents to get him more supervised seat time once the snow comes down and I said he should come back and do the TRSS school again in the spring.

After having worked with students who got it and delivered so far, I was expecting much the same today. However today was more about biting my lip and trying different approaches. Hopefully he went away having learned something and comes back to practice. I hope he does for the sake of his mother who seemed to really want him to be there.

That said, Ernie lurks on here but never posts. So Ernie, if you see this, I hope you will reply and say Hi.

I did talk to Ernie about going with us to Watkins Glen next year. Greg said he was going to work on him too. Hopefully he makes it out. He is a good guy and everyone here will enjoy meeting him.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:58 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
That's about 3640 more miles than mine in 2016.
Levi
There is always next season Levi. Hopefully we will get to see each other a few times next season

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII