New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 05-18-2017, 04:33 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

A shifter re-grease is on the agenda since the entire transmission will be out, but I don't think that is the issue. The clutch can be fully depressed, and with gentle and low-speed shifting, will still grind. Only 2nd does this. I've even had it pop out of gear and into neutral, but that only happened two or three times ever.

The 2nd gear grind used to happen infrequently - only once or twice a month ever since I bought the car brand new. Now it is daily.

I've tried every transmission fluid under the sun to alleviate the problem, and I really have no luck there. I think there is something larger at play here.
Old 05-18-2017, 05:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
A shifter re-grease is on the agenda since the entire transmission will be out, but I don't think that is the issue. The clutch can be fully depressed, and with gentle and low-speed shifting, will still grind. Only 2nd does this. I've even had it pop out of gear and into neutral, but that only happened two or three times ever.

The 2nd gear grind used to happen infrequently - only once or twice a month ever since I bought the car brand new. Now it is daily.

I've tried every transmission fluid under the sun to alleviate the problem, and I really have no luck there. I think there is something larger at play here.
If you are going to drop the transmission, why don't you reach out to Jake?

Also if Billman comes to Watkins Glen, maybe you can drive down to have him diagnose it. That's another option.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:23 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I'd love to have someone in the know take a look at it, but my options in WNY are rather limited.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I'd love to have someone in the know take a look at it, but my options in WNY are rather limited.
Both Jake and Bill are tentatively in for Watkins Glen in July. Once I know for sure I'll send you a PM so you can reach out to them.

If however you decide to do it sooner talk to Jake and swing by Albany on a weekend that works for him.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A couple things pop into mind since Jake recently did my clutch. Do you check the amount of fluid that comes out when you change it? I had/partially still have a leaky transmission which was running very low which was an issue. Also I was missing a few secondary bolts/ some were loose as well so I would check that they are present and properly torqued. But it very well could be the synchro for 2nd. Seems like you're in my neck of the woods. I happened to be passing by Albany when Jake did the clutch which made it easier for me, but if you can I highly recommend him. His workmanship is excellent and does a very thorough job.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It the synco's - fluid change won't fix it.
Buy a low mileage used one and have someone swap it for ya.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AP2 syncros are a pretty standard upgrade if the tranny is an AP1, the AP2's are apparently more stout most likely realized by Honda and upgraded at the time of the model change
Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by pgss2k
AP2 syncros are a pretty standard upgrade if the tranny is an AP1, the AP2's are apparently more stout most likely realized by Honda and upgraded at the time of the model change
His car is an AP2. But he has had this issue on and off for years.

Thats why I thought regreasing the shifter might work.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:31 AM

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My son's 2000 Toyota Solara has an issue where the car won't remain stationery when it is in park.

Now a friend of mine told me that I should bring it back to Toyota and he thinks they would fix it for free since it's a safety issue.

What does everyone here think? Would they really fix a 17 year old car for free? I don't want to take it to a dealer, have them
charge me a couple hundred bucks to diagnose the issue and have them tell me we aren't fixing this for free.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:39 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
My son's 2000 Toyota Solara has an issue where the car won't remain stationery when it is in park.

Now a friend of mine told me that I should bring it back to Toyota and he thinks they would fix it for free since it's a safety issue.

What does everyone here think? Would they really fix a 17 year old car for free? I don't want to take it to a dealer, have them
charge me a couple hundred bucks to diagnose the issue and have them tell me we aren't fixing this for free.
I'd suggest to look online and see if there is a TSB for the issue. Also see what other owners say about it. Based on that call and ask the dealer before you go in. You never know they may just fix it for free or split the cost with you. Your chances of them doing something for you are also higher if you've owned the car since new and have history of service with Toyota.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII