New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 02-27-2017, 06:03 AM

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

My ZII's did...granted the rears are now down to cords but I did drive with them for 3 seasons.

I got the SSR wheels in April of 2013 and haven't changed tires since.

Last edited by NH_s2k_Guy; 02-27-2017 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:55 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I do more events per season than you. So I've had to replace the RS3s every season or season and half.

Partly because I don't have as much camber as I need to and the fact that I can't rotate the wheels.

You're probably better off with the ZIIs as they seem to work for you.

The difference between the RS3 and the RE71R is evident with a fingernail test. The latter is more pliant and allows a fingernail to dig in deeper. On the autocross course the difference is about a second and a half based on my observation. Tests also show the latter to have more lateral grip and thereby better lap times.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:30 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90

The Fast & The Furious! ............ Hot chicks, cool cats and fast cars!

Have you heard of this? I bet not!

Pull up your chair and enjoy. I'll be gone for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxmNaHGuaTk
I did start watching that yesterday but someone said the Oscars were more important so i had no choice but to comply.

I bet that guy is Dom Toretto's grandad.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
My ZII's did...granted the rears are now down to cords but I did drive with them for 3 seasons.

I got the SSR wheels in April of 2013 and haven't changed tires since.
if you've got something you like stick with it until there is a compelling reason to change. Buying the stinkiest tires you can for 1 track day a year seems crazy when your on a budget. I stuck with rs3 for a long time. Got 15 or so track days (2 day events) a set. I'd like to run Hoosiers all the time but o just can't
Old 02-27-2017, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueosprey90

The Fast & The Furious! ............ Hot chicks, cool cats and fast cars!

Have you heard of this? I bet not!

Pull up your chair and enjoy. I'll be gone for a while.

I keep thinking there should be a Mystery Science Theater 3000 over dub while watching it.

HA!rry
Old 02-27-2017, 11:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Link to a comparison test between the ZIIs and the Hoosierstones

Bridgestone’s New RE-71R; The New Street Tire Track Day King? PART ONE « Prima Racing Prima Racing
Old 02-27-2017, 03:59 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Fernando is back

Old 02-27-2017, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Great read. I wonder how they perform in rain conditions. I am on the fence about purchasing a set of actual rain tires. When we were at the Glen last year and had the typical unpredictable Glen weather it was never just right to bust out the rain tires Greg had. So given how that worked out and during TT events I'll have a couple sessions to post a lap time, I'm wondering if it would just be more advantageous to have a set of street tires that perform well in wet conditions, and slicks for all else. Any thoughts Greg?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:32 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by shiv
Great read. I wonder how they perform in rain conditions. I am on the fence about purchasing a set of actual rain tires. When we were at the Glen last year and had the typical unpredictable Glen weather it was never just right to bust out the rain tires Greg had. So given how that worked out and during TT events I'll have a couple sessions to post a lap time, I'm wondering if it would just be more advantageous to have a set of street tires that perform well in wet conditions, and slicks for all else. Any thoughts Greg?
I am not sure how well these tires like the RE71R and RS3 compare to the actual rain tires that Greg runs. But you could give it a shot.

I'd also wait until they have review for the new tire that Continental is releasing. It will supposedly have grip close to the Extreme Performance summer tires but with a higher treadwear and good wet performance.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by shiv
Since the start of my second year of tracking I have always had a set of full rains mounted up, nothing compares when the track is a swamp. If you have the resources ( $$$) and a place to store and carry them to track, there is no substitute for full on rain tires. I have used Kumho W710 (16") and Hoosier H2O (17"), both worked extremely well. Since you don't use them all that much they tend to last several years if stored properly.

Shiv is correct, they don't work all that well with the in between conditions - track is wet but starting to dry.
If you decide to buy a set, keep in mind you want the tires a bit on the narrow side, so if you run a 255 or 245 then you get the rains in a 205-225 size.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII