New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII

Old 12-19-2016, 05:20 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

A question for you Upstate folks. My +1 and I will be traveling to Montreal this Friday on the Northway, and I am wondering how much of a pain you have found it is to clear Canadian Customs. On the flip side, how about returning through US Customs, which we will be doing next Wednesday? Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I live about 25 miles from the crossing. I havn't been across the border since they required the additional paperwork. Depends on the traffic.. time of day.. It will probably be busy because of the holiday weekend.
Don't bring a radar detector!!!! Hopefully Emil will have some additional input. (There are other crossings in Champlain and Rouses Point that are usually quicker but may be more a pain in the neck for you to leave the northway. When you go by exit 36 on the northway you'll be about a 1/4 mile from my house). Have a fun time....do you speak French? Also check to see if dedicated snowtires are a must this time of year.
Levi
Old 12-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,669 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
I live about 25 miles from the crossing. I havn't been across the border since they required the additional paperwork. Depends on the traffic.. time of day.. It will probably be busy because of the holiday weekend.
Don't bring a radar detector!!!! Hopefully Emil will have some additional input. (There are other crossings in Champlain and Rouses Point that are usually quicker but may be more a pain in the neck for you to leave the northway. When you go by exit 36 on the northway you'll be about a 1/4 mile from my house). Have a fun time....do you speak French? Also check to see if dedicated snowtires are a must this time of year.
Levi
Thanks, Levi. Snow tires are not required for visitors...I checked. Knew about radar detectors. I do speak a little French, but I survived 5 trips to France so I should be ok. My experience last summer crossing the border into Alberta was the Canadians were very friendly but returning through North Dakota the Americans not so much.

i'll wave when I pass exit 36!
Old 12-19-2016, 01:36 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

We crossed over that stop on the Northway last year with my daughter and grandkids. The grandkids were a problem since the father didn't give us a note saying we would be taking the kids out of the country. Eventually, since the kids were old enough, the customs person asked then about their daddy and they answered appropriately. I though we might have a bigger problem.

On the way back, we got pulled over at the checkpoint and told to go into the customs office for waterboarding - err, I mean questioning. Supposedly they were going to do a random search of the car (but I don't think they ever did). About half an hour later, they called us forward and told us we could leave.

Nancy & I were very worried about why we were pulled in. While in the waiting room, there were several family carloads - clearly Jewish. They were all laughing and at ease while we were tense and uptight. I pointed that out to Nancy and she quipped: "They have far more experience at being persecuted than we do!"

I fell off my chair.

Bring your passports.

Last edited by blueosprey90; 12-19-2016 at 10:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:00 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I know some of you own VW diesels. The buyback program apparently says that when the car is turned in it has to be running under its own power and be driveable. So several owners have taken to stripping parts off of the car and selling them. Here is an example that could maybe inspire some of you that are yet to turn in

This VW Diesel Owner Is About To Turn In A Completely Stripped Car

Mr. Osprey - be sure to share this with Turner.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Oh and the next time Mark and I show up in our Civics to a meet, please don't tap our windows or do/say anything that could imply 'disrespect'

Michigan Uber Driver Stabs Passenger 5 Times For 'Disrespecting' His Honda Civic: Police
Old 12-20-2016, 03:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

LOL
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Nice article on Mario Andretti
Andretti’s unparalleled passion for racing | Motor Sport Magazine

Donnie Hoevel was Andretti’s chief mechanic through Mario’s final years. Hoevel remembers the last tyre test Mario did with Goodyear at Indianapolis near the end of 1994. “They had every Goodyear engineer known to man out there and they all said they were disappointed it was all over because they loved to do tyre tests with the old man,” Hoevel says. “There were times when they’d slip in a set of control tyres without telling him and he’d say, ‘Ah, you guys are trying to fool me! You can’t fool me. I know what you’re doing.’ There aren’t too many people who have that kind of feel.”
Old 12-20-2016, 06:35 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by A 2
I know some of you own VW diesels. The buyback program apparently says that when the car is turned in it has to be running under its own power and be driveable. So several owners have taken to stripping parts off of the car and selling them. Here is an example that could maybe inspire some of you that are yet to turn in

This VW Diesel Owner Is About To Turn In A Completely Stripped Car

Mr. Osprey - be sure to share this with Turner.
nevermind. VW refuses to buy back the stripped out car. I guess people need to stop putting stuff up on the internet. The owner will seek legal counsel

Volkswagen Refuses To Buy Back The Stripped-Out Car Right Now
Old 12-20-2016, 07:04 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

ouch! I feel bad for this owner

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Thread Vol. XXIII