New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

For those with pleasure use insurance coverage, do you risk driving the S to work? I use to drive mine occasionally, but recently changed insurance companies and the new policy plainly states no driving to work unless it is under 3 miles one way.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:07 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
For those with pleasure use insurance coverage, do you risk driving the S to work? I use to drive mine occasionally, but recently changed insurance companies and the new policy plainly states no driving to work unless it is under 3 miles one way.
Seriously? I'm less than 3 miles one-way to work, maybe I should see about getting the S put on a policy like that...
Old 04-06-2011, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you would be willing to share how much that saved you? My insurance on the S is already very low, but I am always open to new ways to save money
Old 04-06-2011, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1302095042' post='20435292
Any chance you would be willing to share how much that saved you? My insurance on the S is already very low, but I am always open to new ways to save money
Changing insurance companies saved me $900 a year. Not sure how much the pleasure use coverage saved me, as I've always had the S as pleasure use. I'm tempted to call and see what it would be to take pleasure use off so I can drive it to work. After all, any time I drive the S is pleasure use to me.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:36 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax' timestamp='1302095419' post='20435317
[quote name='Conedodger' timestamp='1302095042' post='20435292']
Changing insurance companies saved me $900 a year. Not sure how much the pleasure use coverage saved me, as I've always had the S as pleasure use. I'm tempted to call and see what it would be to take pleasure use off so I can drive it to work. After all, any time I drive the S is pleasure use to me.
[/quote]

I don't think that is available in MA. We've had some progress in insurance rates, we now insure three vehicles for 1900.00/year much cheaper than it used to be. Of course the S2000 is seven years old and my Jeep is nine. That makes a difference.

We do get low mileage discounts on the S and the Jeep, both are only driven about 6K/year. I think they do ask if we use it to commute and how far it is, never thought why they ask that question.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could not have a policy like that... no way, saving money is one thing, but living with a restriction is another
The way I have mine set up with Allstate is this, both cars are occasional use, under 10k miles per year, the truck is full usage
Old 04-06-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
What dash?
Originally Posted by S2KNFR
Vette?
Image looks just fine here

Honda CR-Z 6MT
Old 04-06-2011, 05:55 AM

I too changed a number of years ago, finally put everything with the policy holder of my house, that was a great savings
What's interesting though, I added the Nighthawk to that same policy and the cost was higher than what I had paid, so I went back to Progressive with the VFR
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1302095652' post='20435331
[quote name='AllWorldLax' timestamp='1302095419' post='20435317']
[quote name='Conedodger' timestamp='1302095042' post='20435292']
[/quote]

I don't think that is available in MA. We've had some progress in insurance rates, we now insure three vehicles for 1900.00/year much cheaper than it used to be. Of course the S2000 is seven years old and my Jeep is nine. That makes a difference.

We do get low mileage discounts on the S and the Jeep, both are only driven about 6K/year. I think they do ask if we use it to commute and how far it is, never thought why they ask that question.
[/quote]
I'm always amazed to hear what others pay for insurance. My bill for 3 cars, 2005 TSX, 2003 S2000 (Pleasure), and 1997 Outback (No collision), was $1900 a year ago. I shopped around and got it down to $1000 last spring. My dad has a 5 year old Avalon, no tickets, 1 minor $500 single car accident. He pays $2600 a year. He does live in a highly congested area of retires.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 AM

Seriously???
I wanted to post a reply along the lines of "why not open your f'ing eyes?"

Originally Posted by Gadgetintheuk
Front Proximity Sensors?
Firstly, love my new CRZ! It's having a bath today as the weather's nice…
I am, however very nervous (having slightly dinked it) about how much space i have in front of me when parking/turning.
It rides really low (as you know) & I'm sure its a matter of time before i dink it again on a kerb i can't/haven't seen.
I've looked at retro fit parking sensors, even parking cameras but I'm not really confident in drilling holes in my spanking new car, and most kits want to take power from the reverse light (not any good when going forward!). I can't see any way, where I could take power from anywhere at the front of the car - apart from direct off the car battery. The other issue I've come across is getting a wire from the front of the car, into the inside of the car if I was to mount something on the front.
so, to the group, any ideas? Has anyone done something or do I just need to learn to drive it properly and be extra careful?!

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations