New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-04-2011, 06:01 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Every time I hear a hard drive death story, it makes me want to run out and buy two drives to run a RAID1 setup. Then I usually forget and get distracted by the next shiny thing available for the S and it keeps getting pushed off.

(For those who don't know what RAID1 is, basically it means you run two drives at the same time that perfectly mirror one another. If one drive goes, you have the second drive with all your info on it)

Both drives in my current computer are getting old. I really should think about replacing them.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have a "clone" backup system in place... an external hard drive large enough to fit my entire laptop's hard drive... the software I am using makes it bootable so when this laptop dies, I simply connect my NEW laptop to the external drive and it will clone over all my settings, software, hidden files, and of course, emails, photos, music, etc.

The really sad part is, I *thought* the old backup system I was using WAS saving emails I have stupid shit saved like Safari remembers all my bookmarks and logins... things that were easily re-doable.

Never again!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tadashi
Here's how some of us wake up every morning
Wow, you are lucky
I get this end

Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I was sleeping in the guest bedroom.

I had no idea I was torturing my guests with that inflatable bed in there. You need massive amounts of blankets to stay warm on that thing.
It's funny you say that. We have one for our grandson. The first two times he used it, he woke me up to tell me he was cold. I figured the plastic of the mattress was not heating up with his little body heat. The next time he used it, I put a blanket on it, then the sheets, and other blankets, added an extra for good measure. He's been fine since.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Is anyone interested in going to the Dragon at the end of the month? NE is planning a trip down April 24-29. This is NOT part of the
big trip S2KI does. The idea being less cars on the road and more open space for us to enjoy! The NE folks have rented a house and it
would be $85 for the nights we are there, plus hotel down and back because they are splitting those drives up so they don't do them
all in 1 day. The room available has 2 queen beds in it. Anyone interested?
Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 AM

chat

(sorry reposting this on the new page so everyone sees it)

Is anyone interested in going to the Dragon at the end of the month? NE is planning a trip down April 24-29. This is NOT part of the
big trip S2KI does. The idea being less cars on the road and more open space for us to enjoy! The NE folks have rented a house and it
would be $85 for the nights we are there, plus hotel down and back because they are splitting those drives up so they don't do them
all in 1 day. The room available has 2 queen beds in it. Anyone interested?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Every time I hear a hard drive death story, it makes me want to run out and buy two drives to run a RAID1 setup. Then I usually forget and get distracted by the next shiny thing available for the S and it keeps getting pushed off.

(For those who don't know what RAID1 is, basically it means you run two drives at the same time that perfectly mirror one another. If one drive goes, you have the second drive with all your info on it)

Both drives in my current computer are getting old. I really should think about replacing them.
I don't like mirroring, if you remove an entire folder with 10 years worth of photos by accident, it's instantly done on the mirror as well.

I have an external USB drive and run robocopy to move any files that are new or changed from my active hard drive to the USB drive.

I only plug it in when I do the copy so it should last for many years.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Mark, me too.
I have a 100gig external that I back up pictures from 3 different computers.
I run it quarterly...
Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

I do it about as frequently unless I do some significant work that I don't want to wait to save (e.g. turbotax returns).
Old 04-04-2011, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 months ago had my laptop hard drive take a dive. nothing recoverable. Had a backup, it was corrupted. lost everything had to reconstruct training powerpoint presentations from scrap. Technology can be great but sometimes will bite you in the A$$. Now I copy my Laptop and pc to my company server and that is backed up off site every night.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations