New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 03-29-2011, 03:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think I've had a front plate on my summer car since the 80s. Been pulled over for speeding once, and went through a rolling check point once, and they never said a thing about the missing plate.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
I have the OEM front lip without a rear spoiler. Looks fine to me.
I agree, on your car color it looks fine as it does on Silverstone, New Formula Red, the new bright blue like Aash has.
However, for me, the front add-on spoiler looks nasty on Spa and Rio, Grand Prix White and Sebring.
And the reason I say that is because on those colors the contrast from the body color to the black rubber gasket is too strong, and instead of the lip looking like an incorporated piece, it just looks like an add-on.
This does not bother some, and that's great, but for me, I just hate the look of that black stripe seperating the spoiler from the bumper itself.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I don't think I've had a front plate on my summer car since the 80s. Been pulled over for speeding once, and went through a rolling check point once, and they never said a thing about the missing plate.
I have been plateless on the S since 2003

I have gotten one ticket, but it is basically aa no-fee ticket, you put the plate back on, get an inspection station to sign the form, and mail that into the judge, done deal. And for the record, I got that in Interlaken at about 1:30 am, I know full well the cop used that to pull me over to see if I was drunk. His loss...

I have gone through at least 2 rolling check points, once it was not noticed, and the second time the cop was snotty and said you had better get that fixed. this snotty cop was in the worst rolling checkpoint I have ever been through, just south of Geneva on Rt 14, just after an Indy race at The Glen let out. I was crawling in 1st and 2nd gear to get up to the checkpoint for over 45-minutes. It was the most total BS move I have ever seen, the traffic jam was just retarded. And after the cop was so snotty, and I was pissed for the delay, when I was waved through, I went right up to 9-grand in 1st and 2nd, the Magnaflows singing...
Old 03-29-2011, 04:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning Upstate

I always run with the plate on, despite how awful it looks. I think being a little younger a may be a little more prone to being harassed about it. Also living in Greece we have cops EVERYWHERE.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

I've grown up seeing vehicles with front and rear license plates. I guess it does not bother me as much. Most places in the world it is mandated to have both.

But given a choice I'd like to go without a plate in th front or have the option of locating it where I think it looks best.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
Besides if you get the lip, then you can start saving for the spoiler.
Saving implies a regular income and money which you can set aside... and that just ain't the case

I really should spend the repair money elsewhere - like bills - but I really want this fixed because I'm tired of taking shit for someone else's f-up.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi All,
Anyone watch the TV show American Pickers? During last nights show they were driving down a country road and they passed 3 S2000's parked on the side of the road.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
I run a front plate, even though I absolutely abhor the look of it for two reasons:

1) I (like you) have paid extra for two vanity plates. Why not display both of them? I could understand not displaying the front plate if you had a boring, run-of-the-mill one. But since you have a special plate, why not show it?

2) I don't want to give Johnny Law a reason to pull me over. Even though the front plate ticket is a "fix it", what happens if you get the ticket in some far-off township? Do you really want to spend the time and money to drive all the way back out to show that it was corrected?

Run the front plate.
Those are pretty much exactly my thoughts on this If I get sick of looking at the plate on the front, I can always get another set of bumper plugs... at $12 a pair, they are a mod even I can afford

Also on the lookout for some key hole plugs -- any suggestions as to the best ones to buy? I know there are several on the market now. The ones Zippy Dave gave me for the Berlina were great... I just don't remember where he got them.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax
Morning Upstate

I always run with the plate on, despite how awful it looks.
Same here.
Levi
Old 03-29-2011, 04:40 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax
I think being a little younger a may be a little more prone to being harassed about it. Also living in Greece we have cops EVERYWHERE.

Substitute Greece for Amherst...heck, I live about a mile from the Amherst police station and I practically drive past it every day to and from work. I am not giving those bastards an excuse.

Random story: Saturday morning I was on my way home from Home Depot buying supplies for the house projects. I am stopped at a red light, and I see it turn green, but I didn't enter the intersection as I saw a car coming in my periphery that certainly wasn't going to stop and would run the red light. Sure enough, the car did, and I got a good look at it.

An Amherst patrol car.

I'm a little peeved, so I'm following the cop up to the next light. The cop stops at the light, turns on his lights, and drives through the red light, and immediately shuts them off. What a d-bag. If I'd tried any of that crap, you know who would be getting a ticket.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations