New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I know you were teasing.
You reply looked defensive

Good news, I got over to Hollink, finally, last Saturday for the oil filter, I confess I never got the bike washed or oil/filter changed before it went into storage
I thought about driving past your house and VTEC'ing you as I was in the S, but I was in a hurry to get to Custom Brewcrafters before they closed
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by bilzfan
I've actually bought a couple of Hondas up at Ontario Honda myself. I got deals that made it worth the drive to Canandaigua instead of buying from the dealer across the street from my workplace.

I also liked Bob's Honda that was in Sayre till a fire caused the family to sell the dealership to the Williams Group. They moved to Elmira. I bought the S2K from them in March of 2010, and the Si in December of 2010, both used and both at good prices, IMHO.

Miller Honda in Vestal sucks. I always try to buy there, but always get a better deal elsewhere. The service department likes to blame me for driving my cars to hard. I guess they think everyone should drive a beige automatic Accord or gray CR-V. (/rant off)
Skip is/was a Bob's fan as he lives in Ithaca

Ironically enough, I could never get Ontario to give me a good deal on the purchase of a new 2002 S2000, the sales manager there at the time was a real piece of work, we did not see eye to eye. I bought my 2002 in October 2001 from Holtz, doing extremely well, some $1,350 below MSRP, this was when the Cali guys were spending $5k over MSRP. And, I have never gone back to Holtz for service.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax
I just had the MDX at the dealer and they wanted $100 to replace the cabin air filter. I bought one for $19 and it took me less than 60 seconds to put in.
Have you done the cabin filter int he S yet?
I wish that job was a 60-second task, or, I wish I had hands the size of a 9-year old boy, that had to be one of the most misserable filter changes I have ever done
Old 05-04-2011, 06:32 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Mr. Good Deals strikes again!

A friend was complaining that he needed two tires for his Jeep Patriot, but didn't have the money for them. Apparently, it takes an obscure size that only one company sells. Tire Rack gets $114 each, plus shipping, for them. I found a used pair for him locally with 7/32" tread for $60.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
I wish that job was a 60-second task, or, I wish I had hands the size of a 9-year old boy, that had to be one of the most misserable filter changes I have ever done
I have not done the S, though I am sure I am overdue for it.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Still can't believe Acura wanted to charge me $90 to flush my power steering fluid right after they finished the recall on the power steering hose which required them to drain and replace the fluid.

I have friends that work for dealerships. The stories I hear about bonuses for beating the book rate, kick backs for selling services that were not asked for by the customer, and other things bother me. Mechanics are forced into taking short cuts and performing shoddy and unnecessary repairs. (Not saying this is true at all dealerships, but I don't have to deal with it at my local independant shop.)
Honda (and Acura) don't even recommend a FLUSH of any system - unless there are extenuating circumstances (ie chunks of anything have gotten into the system).
Honda recommends drain and fill as noted in the recall. The flush aspect is something dealers push for extra dough.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:01 AM

That's a PITA. I would never have done it myself except Rich helped me.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax
Find someone with tiny hands, have them over to your house, have them do the job for ya

And yes, you need it done, and when it is, you will think someone added a supercharger to your heater fan, trust me!
Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by AllWorldLax' timestamp='1304520213' post='20537257
Find someone with tiny hands, have them over to your house, have them do the job for ya

And yes, you need it done, and when it is, you will think someone added a supercharger to your heater fan, trust me!
Hmmm...I bought one, can't remember if I installed it.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I think I scared off one of the students I had scheduled for an interview when I told him to re-read my message. He was a no-show.

Either that or he never figured out how to re-read it to determine where the interview was

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations