New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 03-28-2011, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
I have also heard, (can't verify), that motorcycle helmets are designed for one big impact and car helmets are designed for smaller multiple hits from bouncing off the roll cage. There are other things such as aerodynamic aids and eye port openings that are different. That said, I think you would be fine for a quick trip with your car helmet.
If anybody wants to know all the jucy details, this is where you go to get the answers
http://www.smf.org/stds
Old 03-28-2011, 09:21 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

hey! whats with the motorcycle question Ellen? Tom looking for one now?

Doug is right about that lip. If you placed the front wheels on a ramp (and chock the rears) it will be easier to see under. There are holes. I thought I'd try the splitter onto see how it looks and I noticed some of the holes on my S have nuts in them. Car probably had a lip on it before.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:22 AM

Snell Standards specific question
What are the differences between the SA, M and K standards?

The SA standard was designed for competitive auto racing while the M standard was for motorcycling and other motorsports. The K standard was released to accommodate helmets used in karting. There are three major differences between them:
1. The SA standard requires flammability test while the M and K standards do not.
2. The SA and K standards allow for a narrower visual field than the M standard (Some SA and K certified helmets may not be street legal).
3. The SA and K standards include a rollbar multi-impact test while the M standard does not.

________
As I read this, SA endures the M test, and then goes beyond that single major impact and has to endure the additional smaller ones
SA is superior head protection, but it has other shortfalls for bikers such as noise and less peripheral vision
Old 03-28-2011, 09:27 AM

Jim Ford of the Rider's Workshop will give a presentation about his classes at Country Rode Motowerks this Saturday. Country Rode is a BMW dealer in Fairport. I plan to attend, as I have been considering taking one of his classes someday.

Rider's Workshop
Cool, keep me posted
Sounds to me like the actual workshop/ride is either one very, very, very long day, or a multiple day event.
The Rider’s Workshop offers one-day or two-day on-road Appalachian workshops
That's 4-hours just down and back with no workshop
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
She said... she was interested in bumming a ride

Originally Posted by Tadashi
...if one of you gives me a motorcycle ride someday?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2

Doug is right about that lip. If you placed the front wheels on a ramp (and chock the rears) it will be easier to see under. There are holes. I thought I'd try the splitter onto see how it looks and I noticed some of the holes on my S have nuts in them. Car probably had a lip on it before.
Tom is not an motoring enthusiast of any kind I can't imagine he would ever learn to drive a motorcycle. MUCH more likely that I would

Just all the talk of bikes prompted my question... would not mind a ride sometime, I used to love it. I think that's why I like the S so much - same open air experience.

I gotta get my butt over to get an estimate for the lip repair... it's super slow work wise today <sad> so maybe a good time to run over and see what kind of money we are talking about.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:31 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'd give you a bike ride Ellen, but I don't have passenger provisions on anything I own !
Old 03-28-2011, 09:34 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Cool, keep me posted
Sounds to me like the actual workshop/ride is either one very, very, very long day, or a multiple day event.
The Rider’s Workshop offers one-day or two-day on-road Appalachian workshops
That's 4-hours just down and back with no workshop
I figure it would be a long weekend trip, or part of a week's vacation to visit my Dad in N.C.

That is why I'm interested in his presentation. Would like to know more about it before I invest time and money in the class. If you are bored Saturday, meet me there. You can drool on the $40k Bimota in the showroom.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
An SA helmet on a motorcycle sucks because of noise
An M helmet is finished with smoothness as a key, the smooth surface equally a quiet ride
I tried my SA helmet on the Nighthawk, and after 5-minutes I thought I was totally deaf
The SA helmet is just not as aerodynamically smooth as a good M
So Ellen, bring ear plugs
Speaking of ear plugs, and my other post about Country rode Motowerks, they had a "Big Ear" representative there a couple of weeks ago. I went in and was fitted for custom ear plugs to wear on the bike. I'm OK commuting to work, but find I like ear plugs on the longer rides.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Speaking of ear plugs, and my other post about Country rode Motowerks, they had a "Big Ear" representative there a couple of weeks ago. I went in and was fitted for custom ear plugs to wear on the bike. I'm OK commuting to work, but find I like ear plugs on the longer rides.
I bought a high tech set a couple years ago for F1
They may not be as perfect as what you got, but they are amazing
They came as a set of 6 plugs, 2 each of 3-sizes
You mix and match till you get the right combo for your ears
As I recall my setup is 1 small and 1 medium
But I also have to say, I'm still only so so on the whole idea of plugs in my ear on the bike
In general I feel vulnerable enough having a partial hearing loss, the idea of being able to hear even less scars me a bit
A life saving warning could indeed come as a sound

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations