New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1304343294' post='20528419
Pretty sure an instructor in my car would have easily set a 35 second lap time.
Wish I could take you for a ride in mine before I sell off the tires and sway bar. You would be AMAZED at what an S2000 can do.
I'll vouch for that one, taking a ride around an autox course in that vehicle was a treat for me.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Wow! This has become the Autocross Thread. Congratulations to both Mark and Aashish for getting their season started.

Surprised that Aashish would go on such short notice and without "consulting" us. Next time let me know, and I'll try to join you Aashish. Was that video that I saw (somewhere) of your autocross?
Old 05-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Speaking of autocross videos, thought I'd bump this.

We didn't mess with video yesterday, but here is one from the 1st and 2nd place drivers in my class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU8XY...yer_detailpage
Old 05-02-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2
Originally Posted by Triple-H' timestamp='1304344117' post='20528453
[quote name='Conedodger' timestamp='1304343785' post='20528440']
Wish I could take you for a ride in mine before I sell off the tires and sway bar. You would be AMAZED at what an S2000 can do.
Thrust me, he knows, he has ridden with me around Watkins Glen
Well Thrust You
it was in the Si, not the S2000

[/quote]

What???
You were never at the track and got a ride in my S?
Really?
Wow
Sorry
You really missed pout
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody want to come out to the BMW autocross on 5/22 at Seneca? We're going with the F-Mod car. The National Tour is the first weekend in June and we need all the seat time we can get between now and then. I figure we'll get at least another 10 minutes behind the wheel between now and the tour! ( Doug.)
If it's a nice day and I'm out working on Sporting Roadster I'll be right int he neighborhood
Old 05-02-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Saw something about launching a car in that clutch thread. I did not launch my car at the AutoX nor do I ever intend do so. Is launching a must for AutoX?

Lotus Elise in front of me was laucnhing so hard it was kicking up pebbles. I kept away from him. Also launching would have showered the car behind me with pebbles.
That's one aspect of autocross that has kept me away from it...I would venture to guess that before an event, the parking
lot being used isn't swept so all that stuff (sand, pebbles, etc.) gets thrown on every car participating, not something
I want done to my S.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

This is racing! Why are you worried about what is behind you?
I should have, it was a Miata

So if I launched then maybe I could have shaved a second or two off of my time They have a Novice group and a street tire group as well here. I think I'd fit in both

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Wow! This has become the Autocross Thread. Congratulations to both Mark and Aashish for getting their season started.
Surprised that Aashish would go on such short notice and without "consulting" us. Next time let me know, and I'll try to join you Aashish. Was that video that I saw (somewhere) of your autocross?
Jeff, the video is indeed mine. Burned bridges with my sudden decision in the AM to go for the AutoX, then had to make amends once I got back home. The MOHUD Calendar of events can be accessed at the link below, if you are interested. I plan on attending all the Test & Tune events (regardless of location) as well as the points events (if only at the OGS Parking Lot on McCarty Ave)
http://www.mohud-scca.org/Solo/2011/schedule.html

^ Next event should be 5/14 although the schedule says 5/15. They are not the fastest when it comes to updating their website.

Originally Posted by Triple-H
What???
You were never at the track and got a ride in my S?
Really?
Wow
Sorry
You really missed pout
The only time I gotta ride around in your vehicle was when I came to Rochester to buy the wheels. Remember you drove the Frontier chock full of tools to Watkins Glen in case NH Mark or I needed them

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
That's one aspect of autocross that has kept me away from it...I would venture to guess that before an event, the parking
lot being used isn't swept so all that stuff (sand, pebbles, etc.) gets thrown on every car participating, not something
I want done to my S.
They actually did a good job of cleaning up the starting area with a blower and with a broom. But while they got the bigger pebbles, there were still enough there to cause damage if you stayed too close to someone that was RWD. Also some corners were cleaned up but had enough loose gravel to cause loss of grip under power. Even on track offline rubber marbles can cause dings. I guess there is always potential for damage.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy' timestamp='1304357087' post='20529284
I want done to my S.
They actually did a good job of cleaning up the starting area with a blower and with a broom. But while they got the bigger pebbles, there were still enough there to cause damage if you stayed too close to someone that was RWD. Also some corners were cleaned up but had enough loose gravel to cause loss of grip under power. Even on track offline rubber marbles can cause dings. I guess there is always potential for damage.
Fittas! (I like that word!)

The S2000 is a driver's car, meant to be driven!

Mine has 7 years of autocross abuse, but still looks great! the bumper has got a lot of chips in it, but most of that is from normal street use. The bumper does have some permanent scratches from cones, but most people don't see them.

Word of advice...If I were to do it again, I would keep a roll of painter's tape handy and tape the outside, vertical bumper edges, and along the bottom below the fake ducts every time I autocrossed it.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Fittas! (I like that word!)
I so hope that is your next car

Driven is fine. I drive my car within my capabilities. I will take it anywhere and everywhere and Im not as obsessive about keeping it clean & sparkly. What I wont do is launch the car because I have never done that before, have no knowledge of the art and would not want to damage the car and then spend a month fixing it myself.

Is launching similar to popping wheelies?
Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Jeff, the video is indeed mine. Burned bridges with my sudden decision in the AM to go for the AutoX, then had to make amends once I got back home.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations