New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-30-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Tadashi
I had my third in a row Day From Hell I wrote an entire e-commerce site today... started at 5 am. Just finished a small tweak a few minutes ago. I might get paid for 1/2 of the time. Trying to decide if this customer is worth keeping

Off early early tomorrow morning to Vermont. Taking my Fit Speaking of which the only good news in 3 days, I got a $90 refund from the dealer where I bought it, something about a registration over payment... check came with my new registration paperwork.

Thanks to a-hole customers I was not able to get my Carco inspection yet on the Fit - hope nothing happens this weekend.
Looks like you are going to have a nice day for your ride...be on the lookout for flooded roads.
Levi
Old 04-30-2011, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cars are much more interesting than the wedding. I did not see any of it, but I watched the Kathy Griffin hour special last night where they showed the funniest highlights. The young lady with the "antler hat" was the most WTF was she thinking?!

Will be checking in again tonight. Making a list of "tourist stops" for Tom. Hope I remember all the roads up that way
Old 04-30-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

The Joan Rivers Fashion Police Royal Wedding Special was pretty funny - what I saw of it.

Of one of the cousin's (Fergie's daughter), she said something like (in reference to the hat), "she's knows that a wedding is a good place to meet men, but that doesn't mean you should be wearing your IUD on your head".
Old 04-30-2011, 06:06 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

VIDEO AT FOLLOWING LINK:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/853...t__p__20525047

4/30 SCCA Test & Tune Event:

SCCA season opener was barely 5 minutes from home, so I thought I'd go over lest Cone Mark call me Fitta! as well

Got there at 7:45 AM as registration was expected to start around then. Once I got there, I was one among 4-5 other cars. Got talking to a few people there including a father and son (son was participating for the first time in his Subaru WRX with STi wing). Got talking to a lady that drove up in a Miata. Turns out she was at Lime Rock Park last weekend driving the Silver LX sedan.Her track instructor told her about this event and therefore she decided to come. At this point people started trickling in. Got talking to a guy driving a 996 and he told me that he just started doing AutoX last season. He took me out on a track walk twice, and then I went out on two more track walks with the instructors.

Since it was Test & Tune day, the times would not amount to much and so we did not have car numbers or classes or anything like that. They had all the students go out in the first group, followed by the experienced people and the instructors in another group. Got to work a corner during the Experienced/Instructor run and it was really cool watching some cars go by. There was an 8th Gen Civic Si Sedan(also was at Lime Rock Park last weekend) and for some reason he seemed slower than the others, but boy was he smooth!

The most fun was had watching an instructor in a Miata, another in a BMW 318ti and two E30 M3's. The Miata guy's throttle control was amazing as he went through corners. The BMW's were very precision like in the smooth manner they took in doing their laps. There was an Acura Integra that scared the crap out of me as on two runs, he missed the turn and went past where I was standing. BTW, I was working the corner with an instructor named Phil, who is the bearded gentleman I reported seeing driving an NFR AP1. Phil and I got to go out on the last two runs and it was great talking to a fellow S2000 owner. We even went over and looked at his MY 2000 AP1 and I was surprised at how far his top went down (without using his hand to push at that). I asked him whether he had the Modifry straps and he said he had never replaced them. I looked closer and he was right. Said he bought it from Saratoga Honda who said he could have it provided he also bought the trunk lip spoiler. He warned them not to drill holes and install it and said he still has the trunk lip spoiler in the box. He said he does not get on the forums.

My instructor for the major portion of the day was a guy named John who drove a Firebird. I saw him run in the afternoon and he was very smooth. He helped quite a bit, but I felt that most of my learning was from the track walk. The same instructor that taught the Miata/Civic lady at Lime Rock was the one who took us on the walk. He helped us visualize quite a bit and I guess his usage of track terminology etc., helped me set my fastest time in the second session. This was right after we went on a track walk where he pointed out again where to brake, turn-in and track-out.

On the morning track walk with another instructor, I went along with the WRX Kid and towards the end asked the instructor, what are the average times around this circuit. Before the instructor could respond, kid piped in saying "you will know because I will set the fastest time". Instructor told him to expect disappointment and said the average time would be around 35 seconds. To give credit where its due though, the kid was much faster than me, but they red flagged him during the second session, not sure for what. I think he was lapping in the 35 second zone based on what I heard when he was talking to his friends. I was able to get down to around 41 and that was good enough for me. Maybe if I had more laps I could improve, but it seemed like that was the best I was able to do today.

All in all, I have mixed emotions about the day. I liked the fact that I was able to drive the S aggressively, but at the end of the day felt like I needed more seat time. The local SCCA chapter were very cool and welcoming. On the morning track walk it seemed like I had everything figured out, and was confident of finishing close to the 35 second time (as a matter of fact I saw an instructor set a time of a little over 31 seconds as I was leaving for the day). Once I had helmet on and got in the car, everything seemed like it was happening too soon. Gradually though I was able to look ahead and through the corner and improve. So I think I want to do a few more of these events for the following reasons:
1. It needs me to visualize and form a track map fast. That should be a good exercise for my brain
2. You have to look ahead in order to set a fast time and we all know how good I am at that
3. Helps me get to drive the S2000 and get more familiar with it.
5. Forced me to study the asphalt closely as I lost the rear in a section and had to correct because of gravel. Another useful skill

I may do all or most of the events at the OGS lot as it is closest to me and the Fortitech venue as well. Will likely stick with the Test and Tune events only because of the number of runs one gets to do. Mixed emotions aside it was fun every moment that I was driving.

PS: Cone Mark, you are right. CVT is best, stayed in second all the way through.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:38 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad to hear you gave it a try! It takes awhile to feel comfortable autocrossing. See if they have a school coming up. That'll get you up to speed quickly.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Glad to hear you gave it a try! It takes awhile to feel comfortable autocrossing. See if they have a school coming up. That'll get you up to speed quickly.
Today was the school. They have a points event tomorrow and another points event on the 14th. I think the next school is in June sometime. Hopefully it will be after my return from vacation so I can attend that again. Great group of people for the most part though and very helpful.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
On the morning track walk with another instructor, I went along with the WRX Kid and towards the end asked the instructor, what are the average times around this circuit. Before the instructor could respond, kid piped in saying "you will know because I will set the fastest time".
Old 05-01-2011, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
The Joan Rivers Fashion Police Royal Wedding Special was pretty funny - what I saw of it.

Of one of the cousin's (Fergie's daughter), she said something like (in reference to the hat), "she's knows that a wedding is a good place to meet men, but that doesn't mean you should be wearing your IUD on your head".
I wish I had seen that. She's a funny lady! It actually did kinda look like that - I was being polite calling it antlers
Old 05-01-2011, 02:53 AM

Wow, you took the S?!

Had a good drive up yesterday. Fit got 33 mpg - thought I would do better but that's what it is rated for and it was pushing 75 most of the time so I can't complain. I have a photo I need to post when I get home - price of Regular Gas was only $3.87

Brian Baker and family are also up here in this area, Brian is running a 13 mile "1/2 marathon" today. We had dinner with them last night and hung out for awhile in the lobby. After then went off to their room, we sat at the bar and had a drink. Talked with a lady from Chicago for a bit.

Was very cool yesterday to stop at a winery that I built a web site for 2 years, but never met the people in person. The woman gave me the 10% employee discount on the bottle of wine we purchased to bring home

Today we are doing more sight seeing, including a visit to Otter Creek Brewery, then visit and lunch with my mom.

Not seen a single S on our trip, but I saw LOTS of Tidewater Blue Fits on the way up here, and there's another one in the hotel parking lot - I'm not even going to be a snob and point out it's not a Sport like mine
Old 05-01-2011, 02:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

First autocross in the new car today. Had some teething problems, like the car was DOA when we pulled it off the trailer. Turns out that when the body work was installed yesterday, it caused a short in the dash. Then we had some hot start issues. The car didn't want to start for the second driver each heat. Talked to some people more knowledgeable with these cars and got some good advice. Hopefully it will be straightened out for the next event. We both were able to make all of our runs. I finished 4th out of 7. 3-6 had about a one second spread. The guys in 1st and 2nd had a big margin on us 'though. I was 4 seconds out of 1st on a 50 second course, so I have some work to do. I took 3 seconds off from my first to last run, and I was still learning a lot on that last run. I have to learn more about how and when the clutches grab. I had some throttle over steer issues when I applied throttle on corner exit and the clutches grabbed. I'm bruised on both my shoulders from the roll bar, and have a slight fiberglass rash on my elbow from the unfinished surface on the inside of the body work. I'll have to work on my seat position, and we are going to cover the inside of the body panels where our arms contact them when we are strapped in. Overall, I'm very pleased.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations