New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc-
Thanks for the update
Good luck with the mason
I know sump pump issues well, although my basement is dry as a bone, this time of the year the sumppump cycles about once a minute
My house has a backup system, if I run out of electricity, I can turn on a water valve, the running water creates the action to suck up the sump pump water
The theory is, I may loose electricity, but I will never loose water pressure as it is town supplied and I have over 89-psi in the house
Riche is right, you should have some type of backup system, even if it is just a spare electric pump
And, for what it's worth, you might want to have on hand an extra check valve, the one way valve that the water pumps up and out of the house through, not allowing pumped out water to backtrack back into the house
I had this valve fail a couple years ago, thank goodness I had the backup system
Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Finally got a bit of breathing room here at work, and while I'm waiting for some equipment to reload itself, I figure I may as well elaborate a bit on my water issues from Monday night.

The rain Monday ranged from steady to heavy all day long. I was periodically checking in on the sump pump to make sure it was keeping up with the water flow. It was kicking on every 45 seconds or so, just to give you an idea of how much water I was dealing with. No real issues.

I was downstairs doing some work mounting new fixtures into the newly-painted bathroom. I realized I needed to get a tool from the garage. I walk to another room that is connected to the garage, and I hear the sound of what sounds like a bucket of water being steadily poured. I go to the door to investigate and there is a large puddle on the floor coming from the garage. I open the door, and the foundation of the garage is leaking from a crack about 5 feet long, and water is pouring out of it.

Here is is, about 8:30 at night, and I've got an impact hammer going on the concrete, hoping to punch a hole down to the drain tiles to give this water somewhere to go.

I check back on the sump pump, and now one of the 3" drains is emptying full-bore into the sump. Imagine about 3 garden hoses turned on full-bore and you get the idea. The pump was barely able to keep up. It would run continuously for about 5 minutes, slowly draining the water. As son as it got to the bottom, it would shut off for 10 seconds, then the sump would be full again.

It was a pretty sleepless night. Around midnight the rain finally slacked off. Around 4:30am, the water was down to about a trickle coming into the sump.

My guess so far, was that there was a blockage in one of the drain tiles. The pressure built up until it finally went, but I'm rather concerned about the crack in the foundation near the garage.

I'm going to have a mason check it out and offer suggestions. Hopefully this doesn't get too costly, but I've already resigned myself to kissing away the new deck.
I feel for you. I live on the top of a hill. Yet I once had a sump pump failure while on vacation and had 4 feet of water in the basement on my return - over the top of the oil burner. Thing is that several of my neighbors also had basement flooding for the first time. Seems that my sump pump controls the water table for my immediate neighbors. Then another time, a tree came down and brounght about 3 poles with it. This was just after Katrina, and all the spare poles must have been shipped to Mississippi. I was bailing as fast as I could and barely kept up. When about to drop from exhaustion, the power company got some power on, with wires hanging from tree limbs. It was about 3 months before I got my pole back. So besides a new pump, now I bought a generator. I should probably get a marine style bilge pump as a back-up that I can run off the car battery.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

One of the principals at the company I work for lives on a one acre wooded lot that is gently inclined. He built his home at the edge of the property and always has issues in the spring with flooding. His sump pump failed last year.

I think I'd have it even worse, if I had a basement given that I live at the bottom of a steeper incline. Makes me wonder why basements are constructed when there is scope for such frequent flooding?
Old 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Because Amherst is nothing but a giant swamp...
Old 04-27-2011, 10:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Car and Driver tests the 2012 Honda Civic Si.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

I guess the +1 will be keeping her 07 for awhile.
Levi
Old 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ I'm with you guys on that. Nothing tempting in the new Si.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey , YGPM.

You can always text me the answer tonight.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Nice!

**Tornado Watch in effect for WNY until 10 PM this evening** **Flash Flood Watch for WNY from late this evening through Thursday afternoon** **Wind Advisory for WNY from early Thursday morning through Thursday evening**
Old 04-27-2011, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rained this morning, followed by a bit of nice weather, now more rain. I can't remember the last time I had the S out. Haven't even driven it since I got the new plates.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations