New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-26-2011, 07:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H
Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1303829953' post='20508589
Depends on how soft the ground is.
No, it depends upon the weight of the mower
If I'm sinking in to my ankles, I don't care if my mower can fly. Right back at cha!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Mark (Conedodger),

Perhaps I missed this, but what sort of opportunity do you have to shake down your new racecar before you have to start racing it? I assume you have mechanics who know what they are doing (not like me), but I assume you still need to work out a few kinks before you're in competition. Do you get to take the car out on test and tune days before the real action begins?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:58 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Gotta add the morons that drive in the rain on track without their headlights on. The lights give you a reference point of where they are located through the spray
I particularly liked picture 11 on page 55, where it looks like you are chasing down that 18 wheeler they let into your track session.
That happened a lot Jeff. I'd be right behind a car getting on to the front straight and right about the track out point they'd step on it, following which they'd slow down a little too much for Turn 1. I think an SCDA outing should help at LRP sometime in the future.

PS: I was forwarded a lengthy e-mail. Still have not read it. Will respond by tonight
Old 04-26-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let my fingers do the walking to local dealers for the Cabin air filter around the capital district. Prices from 33-36 dollars. ON LINE 7.52 whats up with that. Anyone ever purchase an after market filer? and can tell me the difference? I already know you get what you pay for but 500% more?
Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 AM

Mark (Conedodger),

Perhaps I missed this, but what sort of opportunity do you have to shake down your new racecar before you have to start racing it? I assume you have mechanics who know what they are doing (not like me), but I assume you still need to work out a few kinks before you're in competition. Do you get to take the car out on test and tune days before the real action begins?
There are a few test and tune days. We missed the first one, as the car owner was out of town for business. That means our first time out in it will be at the first event on Sunday. We are trying to get into a test and tune on May 7th. It is limited to 25 entries and might be full. The car owner is a good mechanic. He has the car running well, and set the alignment up last weekend to the previous setup. I'm sure gremlins will pop up, but the good part of autocross is there is time between runs to work on issues.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Originally Posted by blueosprey90' timestamp='1303833444' post='20508860
Mark (Conedodger),

There are a few test and tune days. We missed the first one, as the car owner was out of town for business. That means our first time out in it will be at the first event on Sunday. We are trying to get into a test and tune on May 7th. It is limited to 25 entries and might be full. The car owner is a good mechanic. He has the car running well, and set the alignment up last weekend to the previous setup. I'm sure gremlins will pop up, but the good part of autocross is there is time between runs to work on issues.
The first time I took my car to a track day (this was my driver's school and my initial test drive), the car was overheating, spewing oil from 3 major leaks and misfiring pretty badly. Overheating fixed easily, spewing oil a major embarassment and the misfire a mystery. After what seemed like months on my back under the car, most of the oil leaks are resolved. I fixed the misfire accidentally when I adjusted the valve lash mid season. Suffice it to say, my lack of talent was exagerated by my mechanical issues.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Conedodger
If I'm sinking in to my ankles, I don't care if my mower can fly. Right back at cha!
If you are sinking to your ankles your weight loss program ain't working. Right back at cha!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:31 AM

PS: I was forwarded a lengthy e-mail. Still have not read it. Will respond by tonight.
The plan was that the two of you were supposed to discuss it, if and only if the primary recipient thought it was an acceptable idea. Otherwise, that primary recipient was supposed to keep it to herself, or as George would say, "In the Vault, Jerry"!
Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Conedodger' timestamp='1303834125' post='20508904
[quote name='blueosprey90' timestamp='1303833444' post='20508860']
Mark (Conedodger),

The first time I took my car to a track day (this was my driver's school and my initial test drive), the car was overheating, spewing oil from 3 major leaks and misfiring pretty badly. Overheating fixed easily, spewing oil a major embarassment and the misfire a mystery. After what seemed like months on my back under the car, most of the oil leaks are resolved. I fixed the misfire accidentally when I adjusted the valve lash mid season. Suffice it to say, my lack of talent was exagerated by my mechanical issues.
[/quote]
We have a good group of backyard mechanic/racers. You would be amazed at what I've seen repaired on the fly at an autocross. At the big events, you can ask for a 10 minute "mechanical delay" when you are called to run. I've seen some pretty big repairs done in the 10 minute window.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Sounds like you are in good shape for this season.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations