New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG, hate the new Civic dash And if you need a METER to tell you you're in VTEC.... you're missing the point. Damn Honda

The only "stupid" electronic stuff I have now is maintenance minder...

Accord - 1976 - 2011 = 35 years, wow!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Always fun when you literally walk in the door at work and people are looking for you to put out a fire...

Had to go clean up a network loop my students created this morning. Fun fun fun.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2
New Civic Si dash cluster. Looks very busy. Kinda like they re-invented the Prelude dash but only not as cool
Wow, never thought I would hear any criticism out of your mouth...
From what I see, I'm now more than ever standing by my statement, the CR-Z dash layout is the best thing Honda has in their new car lineup

And one other thing, and this one just makes me madder than hell
I HATE THE ROUND CIRCLE TYPE SWITCH ON THE STEERING WHEEL
I find this retarded, it's like the designers and engineers give us stuff only because they can make them, not because it's a smart functional design
I have been using steering wheel controls since 2005 on the Titan, they have become habit I know, as I'm always feeling for them in the CRX-Si
Here is my complaint
Look at the Nissan wheel below
Each of the 7 switches has a specific function and is activated by a push up or a push down or a push in
I can find everyone of these switches and make the adjustment I want without ever moving my eyes off the road or without ever adjusting the wrong thing the wrong way
If you look at the Honda circle, it does not have this functionality, it does not have such a precise feel
You will make the wrong adjustment from time to time, or you will look at the switch
Example, say you want to push the circle at the 12 position on a clock, you have to be dead on to get it
If you push the circle at say position 1 or 2 you might actually get the thing that happens whe you push the circle at position 3
I believe the circle is too unprecise to the touch, you fingers will not know exactly where you are on the circle
To me this design lacks a total lack of understanding of the function those switches should have
F'ing Honda is going to hell in a hand basket, in the express lane

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Tadashi
And if you need a METER to tell you you're in VTEC.... you're missing the point. Damn Honda
I know the CR had a "Peak Power" indicator when it was in VTEC...pretty sure the 08 and 09 models did too...
Old 04-20-2011, 04:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not have anything like that on my "base" 08. Peak power maybe makes sense... so you can see exactly where you are getting the most power for your RPMs.

But really, if you are even a little in tune with the car you should learn that instinctively after driving it for awhile.

I've never used an RPM gauge for when to shift, I always go by the sound and feel of the car.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
The other cool thing about the Nissan is different switches have different textures to help you know exactly where your fingers are. The switches on the right are cruise control

The bottom switch is Cancel, it has a ridge in the middle so you know you are selecting Cancel
The button above it in the center is total On or Off, that's a perfectly flat surface
The top switch is a rocker for setting & resume and accelerating & deaccelerating
I use the Cancel a lot instead of tapping the brake, but I want Cancel, not On/Off because as soon as I get clear of traffic I want to just hit resume and have my precise speed come back automatically, if I were to hit On/Off in error my speed setting would have been cleared from memory
I do not see that round circle offering up this kind of precision without looking
Old 04-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2
My 2¢

The Civic Type-R dash is older than the new Civic Si, and to me is better
To me Honda just continues to go backwards
Old 04-20-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H
The Civic Type-R dash is older than the new Civic Si, and to me is better
To me Honda just continues to go backwards
Old 04-20-2011, 05:19 AM

And this is the dash in their slower than chit car
Sure seems to me this is sportier than the new Civic Si

Old 04-20-2011, 05:20 AM

^ And those steerring wheel controls are WAY BETTER!!!

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations