New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations

Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Aash, $100 would be nice if you can swing it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Need your input, whats a good amount to donate to charity on behalf of someone that has passed away? A co-workers brother passed away. He and I are pretty close and I wanted to make a donation. Just not sure how much is a good figure. Any advice is appreciated.
Let your personal budget be your guide. If you would have sent flowers and spent $50.00, send $50.00. If your budget only allowed $25.00, that's OK too.

You send what you can afford. The charities inform the family of the donation, but do not reveal the amount sent.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Thanks Jeff and Lainey. That is very helpful. Appreciate the advice
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by bilzfan
Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo' timestamp='1303218229' post='20482377
Gordy - if you're springing for a set of 4 new tires all around, you may want to think about moving up to 255s in the rear.

The stock wheels can handle the 255s fine with no rubbing.
I'm gonna burn the rears off this season, and replace just the fronts.

Janet and I are taking our two boys to Europe in late June and I'm trying to build a good war chest in the savings account to be able to eat!

The Europe vacation budget is $10K and I've ripped through about $6K already with Air travel and for four at $3650 just to get from JFK to London.

Three days in each: London - Paris - Venice - Rome

I'm definitely going with 255's in the rear next year.

Bring your Binoculars! Bring your Binoculars! Bring your Binoculars! The small kind that you can put in your pocket 10X or 12X, at least two pair for the family. Maybe $25 each at Walmart. You'll want them to see all of the architectural details and artwork at a distance. Also bring at least one, maybe two small flashlights that fit in your pocket. Many churches and other buildings are very dimly lit and if you want to be reading your guidebook or looking at some detail, it's nice to have some light.

Some of my favorite stops have been: In London the Churchhill War Rooms. I also loved Greenwich and the chronometers. Read the book "Longitude" for their story. Take the train out to Windsor Castle (day trip). In the evening, you might be able to see a Broadway style show or get in a classical music concert at the church just off of Trafalgar Square. In Paris the Musee D'Orsay, Impressionist paintings on 2nd or 3rd floor, especially Van Gogh's church with no doors. Best side trip in Venice is the boat to Murano and Burano, but it is lots of fun to sit on the main square (St Mark's ???, you know, where the Spanish Inquisition was held) in the afternoon with a beer and your binocs looking at the details on the main ediface of St Marks, or in the early evening listening to the war of the bands. In Rome, it's the Sistine Chapel (bring the binocs!), the Pieta (in the Vatican) and the Moses (with horns) in a church on some side street.

For the things on your list that you definitely want to see, go on-line and try to get your tickets in advance.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQZxDPDVF80
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lainey
Originally Posted by aashish2' timestamp='1303222374' post='20482627
Need your input, whats a good amount to donate to charity on behalf of someone that has passed away? A co-workers brother passed away. He and I are pretty close and I wanted to make a donation. Just not sure how much is a good figure. Any advice is appreciated.
Let your personal budget be your guide. If you would have sent flowers and spent $50.00, send $50.00. If your budget only allowed $25.00, that's OK too.
You send what you can afford. The charities inform the family of the donation, but do not reveal the amount sent.
She's right, it's really up to your budget, it's the cause you make that matters mostly

When we did Dad's party we forbid flowers, they only rot and get thrown away, money/donations all went to the VA
There was one flower, a single long stem rose laid across his Navy service picture
Old 04-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by S2KNFR
No tow truck needed
Some of America's smartest...
Old 04-19-2011, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got new floor mats for the Fit Had fun playing with my rear wiper - it looks like a little tail wagging
Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM

This is so bad I don't know what else to do but laugh, and if I did not laugh, I would indeed cry

Seriously WTF?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Saw my neighbors do this one night when I lived in Henrietta. Not quite as bad, the front car still rolled. That was a nice neighborhood I was in. The guy down the street alternated between annoying everyone with his un-muffled Harley in the summer and leaving his Semi Tractor running all night in the winter. Had another neighbor with a Chevy V8 hanging from his tree in the front yard. Used the tree as a hoist to remove it from the car, then left it hanging there for the 4 years I lived there.

Quick Reply: UPSTATE CHAT- ongoing conversations