New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Continues Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:22 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Feb 18 2011, 02:16 PM
The cure my friend, is to get a smaller steering wheel.
or if I lost half my girth Jeff
Old 02-18-2011, 10:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 18 2011, 02:09 PM
wheels too itty bitty......
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 18 2011, 01:57 PM
Jeff's cat(s) sound more like active determined participants, they know their goal is to destroy the furniture
my 3 cats scratch nothing but the scratching post, there is one in each room for them.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,Feb 18 2011, 12:27 PM
Jeff. I checked out CART. I may want to do an event at LRP as it is the closest.

It appears like they have practice sessions followed by timed runs. Also noticed that an instructor is not provided unless requested. Think I'd definitely need instruction as:
1. Im still green
2. Never driven on LRP

That said the timing below blew me away:
http://www.cartct.com/trial_record.shtml

Also, someone I know appears to have a set a record of sorts
Aashish,

When I ran with them at Pocono, they separated the drivers into rookies and experienced. Rookies were required to put a large L (learner) on the back of the car. After an introduction to the rules and the flags, rookies went out together and they showed us the line, more or less in a follow the leader scenario. There were several experienced drivers that went out with the rookies as well (although I didn't have the extra seat).

Then after the first run by each group, both groups could go out together. It was not wheel to wheel racing. Passing was limited to two straights, which I expect will be the case at Lime Rock. Since I was the slowest car on the track, I did a lot of point-bys. The big bank on Pocono was wider than any portion of Lime Rock, but since I get passed all the time at Lime Rock anyway, it didn't make much of a difference.

The track time was virtually unlimited. By 10:00 am, both groups could go out. I think we ran until 12:00 then broke for an hour for lunch. Then we ran again from say 1:00 to 2:00. Then we had time trials, where the cars went out for one warm up and two time trial laps, but they spread the cars out so there were only 3 or 4 cars on the track at any time. Then they had a relay race with 5 car teams, 5 laps each. They staggered the starts based upon the time trial times, so again there was no wheel to wheel racing, but the idea was that the teams would all arrive at the finish together.

I had a lot of fun with this group. They were warm and friendly. I don't think you have to worry about being green, especially since you've had two years of "special instruction". Hell, the only way you could be more "green" than me is to be Kermit the Frog! And don't worry about the track. On the Lime Rock web site there is a pretty good description on how the track should be run.

I have a very tight schedule, but I'll try to keep that June 23rd date available. But then I'll have all day plans for you and your +1 the following Saturday in Stockbridge Mass. that will test your general knowledge and ability to make a U-Turn.

By the way, that timing was for a 1.2 mile track - slowest of the day. Surely you can beat that.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:44 AM

Aashish, in regards to your splitter thread my coastal metals splitter came last week and is in the garage awaiting install.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Goodbye Everybody! Have a great weekend!

I'm headed off to Levi Country.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:50 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I only had special instruction last year. Year before that I was practice for the instructors as I had two of them.

No point doing WGI this year if is out. Instructor asking me to go to 6th gear going up the esses was a little hair-raising. I'd rather do WGI with Doug or sit out until I have some more experience. I dont read conditions very well and need to work on looking ahead. Needless to say my threshold braking is also suspect. So no , no WGI for now.

Maybe with the money saved from not needing room & board I can do LRP and Monticello, if Monticello allows us plebians to run. Both tracks are about an hour from home so I should not be needing a motel.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by blueosprey90,Feb 18 2011, 02:47 PM
Goodbye Everybody! Have a great weekend!

I'm headed off to Levi Country.
Bring snowshoes
Old 02-18-2011, 10:52 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey! Jeff...wanna stop by in ALB for a drink before you head North

Thanks Dave. It appears they have great feedback. Spoke to David McCune and he was real nice. Said they will have one ready by Friday next week to ship out to me. Looking forward to installing it myself.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Feb 18 2011, 02:52 PM

Thanks Dave. It appears they have great feedback. Spoke to David McCune and he was real nice. Said they will have one ready by Friday next week to ship out to me. Looking forward to installing it myself.
Just so you know it also comes with the needed hardware.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Continues Thread