New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Continues Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 03:15 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

At least today appears to be the last of the really cold days for a while.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^ yep warmer temps tomorrow onwards. Supposed to go up to 40 something on Sunday IIRC.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I think this explains modern weather forecasting quite well:

It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.
Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.
But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked,
'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'
'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'it's going to be a very cold winter.'

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again.
'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'
'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'
'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.
The weatherman replied, 'The Indians are collecting truckloads of firewood'
Old 02-11-2011, 03:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo,Feb 11 2011, 07:28 AM
I think this explains modern weather forecasting quite well:

It's late fall and the Indians on a remote reservation in South Dakota asked their new chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild.
Since he was a chief in a modern society, he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky, he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side, he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared.
But, being a practical leader, after several days, he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked,
'Is the coming winter going to be cold?'

'It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold,' the meteorologist at the weather service responded.
So the chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared.

A week later, he called the National Weather Service again. 'Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?'
'Yes,' the man at National Weather Service again replied, 'it's going to be a very cold winter.'

The chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find.

Two weeks later, the chief called the National Weather Service again.
'Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?'
'Absolutely,' the man replied. 'It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters we've ever seen.'
'How can you be so sure?' the chief asked.
The weatherman replied, 'The Indians are collecting truckloads of firewood'
Old 02-11-2011, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Morning

Just like everyone has said, holy crap its cold.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cold cruddy day here too although it looks like the sun may be coming out. Furnace could not keep up again, but at least it was above 60 this morning.

So much to look forward to today... I have no paying work so I will be finishing my taxes, doing some marketing to try and find new work, cleaning the house, and doing laundry and dishes.

All this fun will be followed up tomorrow by a dentist appt at 9 am

Maybe after the warmer temps over the weekend I will attempt to break up some of the 200 square feet of ice packed snow that stands between my S and the road
Old 02-11-2011, 05:09 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Please wish in this thread for completing 10 years. He now has 11 stars

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=845951

I believe he is sulking somewhere and not posting as we have not acknowledged his special day so far
Old 02-11-2011, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Feb 11 2011, 09:09 AM

I believe he is sulking somewhere and not posting as we have not acknowledged his special day so far
Or maybe he is actually working at work
Old 02-11-2011, 05:46 AM

Cold does seem to be hanging around longer and later this year than in the last 10 years. Maybe the ice will grow at the north pole and the polar bears wont starve this spring.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aashish2,Feb 10 2011, 03:02 PM
Doug, plan is to get the groundwork complete and the route drawn up and driven before the date. In the event snow is still on the ground, the drive will be postponed to a later date that is acceptable to you and the others
As Ellen said, we have had drives here around that date and maybe it has unknowingly become some sort of tradition. But I personally dont think it is a date set in stone.
The details will have to be worked out before a date is finalized with your approval.
Keep me in the loop, that's all I ask, I don't want to find out about it after the plans are all done and the event is posted, is all I ask...

Ellen- if you want a drive in March, GO FOR IT, I just know I won't be there, too salty for me, but hey, if you want to and it is a popular thing in your area, go for it......

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Continues Thread