New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Continues Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Got an e-mail from BMW CCA about the LRP event. E-mail said the Sound Police would be out in force and enforcing the 87db limit. Anyone know how much a stock car db limit is? The Si has a louder note than the S and that has me thinking whether I may breach that limit.

Aashish, I'm sure you will be fine. I was worried about my car so I purchased a sound meter. In the parking space, I was 93 dB at 30 feet at 3,500 rpm. Even after taking to a custom muffler shop who restricted the pipe diameter just before the muffler, I couldn't quiet it lower than that. I didn't test it at a higher idle rpm for fear of losing my hearing! Sound police didn't bother me, but it was that rainy weekend and maybe they weren't there. I've heard that they test at about 75 feet either towards the end of the straight (before threshhold braking) or at the flag station at the top of the Uphill.

You can borrow the meter, but since you know more or less how loud I am, you can maybe make a self comparison. I could test the S with the meter, but I can assure you it is nowhere near 87dB limit. 87dB is like having a lawn mower in your bedroom!

I have never seen a clear explanation of Lime Rock's sound limitation, and it is not on their web site. That's one of the questions I will try to get clarified at the driver's school (which starts in just 20 days!)
Old 03-14-2011, 02:48 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
If I go to my gallery, I have this message:

Invision Gallery Currently Offline
Your members cannot see this, instead they are seeing the offline page with the following description:
-----
The gallery is currently offline.
-----
This message will remain until you set the Gallery back online.

Anybody know how I "set the Gallery back online"?? Can't seem to post any pictures from the gallery at all! Upgrade trick for old guys?
Jeff click on this link
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...cp&tab=gallery

^ clicking that link opens my S2KI gallery and should work for you as well. Once the page opens, be sure to bookmark it in case you ever need to go back and find an image. This is the work-around until such time as the gallery is up.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:53 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Aashish, I'm sure you will be fine. I was worried about my car so I purchased a sound meter. In the parking space, I was 93 dB at 30 feet at 3,500 rpm. Even after taking to a custom muffler shop who restricted the pipe diameter just before the muffler, I couldn't quiet it lower than that. I didn't test it at a higher idle rpm for fear of losing my hearing! Sound police didn't bother me, but it was that rainy weekend and maybe they weren't there. I've heard that they test at about 75 feet either towards the end of the straight (before threshhold braking) or at the flag station at the top of the Uphill.

You can borrow the meter, but since you know more or less how loud I am, you can maybe make a self comparison. I could test the S with the meter, but I can assure you it is nowhere near 87dB limit. 87dB is like having a lawn mower in your bedroom!

I have never seen a clear explanation of Lime Rock's sound limitation, and it is not on their web site. That's one of the questions I will try to get clarified at the driver's school (which starts in just 20 days!)
Thanks for assurance Jeff. I'm sure I'll be alright since the Si does not really start getting loud until 5000 RPM. Pretty sure my engine speed wont be that high as I go through big bend

BTW, see my post above on how to access the gallery. Someone posted in the site info section and it worked for me. I hope it works for you as well.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I remember when the dealer across the street from my first apartment sold TVRs. The guy that I'm co-driving with this season bought one without an engine a year or two ago. He had plans to put a modern V-8 in it, but quickly found out how expensive it was going to be to replace missing trim and parts, so he sold it.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Good morning upstate, currently 13 here, supposed to be a sunny 37 later.
Levi
Old 03-15-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Pulled the grill out for the first time in over 3 months last night.

Man, I miss grilling.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 708 Likes on 414 Posts

are Del Sol's allowed at KVSRT?

i wasn't sure... they are a two seater... and a targa... my friend with the Viper has a friend who might want to come so he can split the cost of a hotel room with him... but i said i'd find out about the del sol for him
Old 03-15-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Pretty sure I've seen a Del Sol at KSRT before. I'll let give you the final say though.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 AM

Received 213 Likes on 184 Posts

Jeff click on this link
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/index.php...cp&tab=gallery

^ clicking that link opens my S2KI gallery and should work for you as well. Once the page opens, be sure to bookmark it in case you ever need to go back and find an image. This is the work-around until such time as the gallery is up.
Thanks Aashish, but all my albums are locked. I wanted to put a few pictures in my MG thread about the hapless elderly racer.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:45 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks Aashish, but all my albums are locked. I wanted to put a few pictures in my MG thread about the hapless elderly racer.
Jeff, I know it displays as locked. However clicking on the folder name will open it up and display all its contents. Uploading also seems to be enabled although I did not try uploading anything here from work.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Continues Thread