New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Upstate Chat Continues Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:33 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Finished reading The Last Open Road last night. Thanks Cone Mark & Marc for pointing me to this book.

Last night I started another book and finished it today. By the time I was done, I was so moved that I wished I'd bought a hardcover, instead of the paperback.

Go Like Hell - Ford, Ferrari and their battle for speed and glory at LeMans

^ Just loved it and would highly recommend it. Enzo sticking it to Ford and Ford in turn unrelentingly hunting him down on the racetracks is awesome reading. John Surtees' and his relationship with Enzo is very vividly described as is that of Ken Miles and the deep connection he shared with his car. The ending is simply amazing in a bitter-sweet way and the book closes with the emergence of a new competitor from the East - a certain company called Honda.
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Finished reading The Last Open Road last night. Thanks Cone Mark & Marc for pointing me to this book.

Last night I started another book and finished it today. By the time I was done, I was so moved that I wished I'd bought a hardcover, instead of the paperback.

Just added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks Aashish!
Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Conedodger
Just added it to my Amazon wish list. Thanks Aashish!
psst...Mr. Good Deals the paperback is on sale for $5.98. Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.

http://www.amazon.com/Go-Like-Hell-F...9469875&sr=8-1
Old 03-07-2011, 03:35 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2
Free shipping if you have Amazon Prime.
Also as an FYI, if you are a college student (or happen to work at a place that gives you a .edu email address), you can get a free year of Amazon Prime.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:07 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Well we got all rain and the snow melt continues so that is good.

But woke up to some bad this morning...around 6 a.m. I heard the boiler kick on, and it did
NOT sound good! Then it only stayed on for about 20 seconds. I had a bad feeling. And it
was confirmed when I got up...now have 5 inches of water in the basement and no heat.

So no work today because I have to get the water out of the basement and wait for the oil
company to come look at the boiler. I'm PRAYING it's not totally gone although it is 20+
years old so I'm not optimistic.

If I do need a new boiler, does the energy tax credit allow for unlimited tax write-offs
on boilers? I know it does for things like solar, heat pumps, etc. Just wondering if a
new energy efficient boiler qualifies?
Old 03-07-2011, 05:52 AM

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,863 Posts

Mark, sorry to tell you I'm pretty sure the energy tax credit expired in 12/10. The max you could get on the credit was $1500.00. We had our heating system replaced with a gas high efficiency furnace and more efficient AC unit. They qualified for rebates and the tax credit, but installation had to be done by 12/31/10.

Your service guy for the oil company may know of any available rebates if you upgrade to an energy efficient model.

Our rebates were from the local utility (gas & electric), and the tax credit was from Uncle Sam.

Sorry to hear about the mess in the basement.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NH_s2k_Guy
I had a bad feeling. And it
was confirmed when I got up...now have 5 inches of water in the basement and no heat.
Ouch...sump pump failure?

I was lucky to have walked into the room mine was in a few days ago right before I went to bed, it was already flooding out the sump. The float had stuck, and I just nudged it and everything drained out after about a half hour.

That's why I was a little nervous Saturday. At the rate water was coming in, if the sump pump didn't kick on, I'd be flooded right quick.

There is a creek near my house, and it is about triple the size it normally is.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:14 AM

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

No, don't have a sump pump and never needed one, never had water issues in the basement.

The water came from the boiler failing. Which is why I'm afraid I'm going to need a
completely new one.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:03 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

How quick can you map North Africa and West Asia?

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/jus...s/mapgame.html
Old 03-07-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is now one day after all of the snow was gone, and I just spent 3 hours shoveling the 15" that fell last night. i feel like I'll snap before I get to pull the S out again.

Quick Reply: Upstate Chat Continues Thread