New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 06-09-2022, 04:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

It was fun seeing Jeff and Mike at Lime Rock yesterday. I didn’t even think about taking any pics.

Jeff’s son in law also was present for his first track event and appears to have had fun.
Old 06-09-2022, 04:41 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

I've regressed to the stage where I need a sports psychologist!

I haven't had a clean run in the MGA for two years due to an engine problem. And my last run in the S2000 was when I spun and hit the tire wall - a spin that I attributed to tires.

In any event, I have the S2000 back on the road, same tires. The left front was a bit corded at the shoulder, so I moved it to the right front. I got a Billman spec wheel alignment. But I did not have any confidence. In my first run, I was running in the 1:18 to 1:20 range. In my second run, I was running in the 1:20 range. Hell, I was faster than all of that in the MGA with a boggy motor just last weekend!

Before the start of the event, several cars were out on track drifting - and I suppose leaving a lot of rubber. The Track Night in America drivers must not use the full track, because I was picking up a lot of tire debris in my line. Also, I could clearly see the break in the camber coming out of Big Bend which I thought contributed to my spin last fall.

For the third and final run, I tried to keep my eyes higher, especially at the Uphill and at the Downhill, and I tried to run a later apex at West Bend. I could feel that I was going a bit faster and ran a number of consistent 1:15 laps. Still, I was the slowest car out there and had to point by the Miatas - which was a pain since I had to lift for them to get by.

Mike (NoDelta) had no respect for the old fella, lapping me repeatedly in all of the sessions. Aashish tried to lift me up with positive attitude talk.

But we had a beautiful afternoon. I'll get some new tires.

Light on pictures, but here is Aashish giving advice to some hapless driver

And here we are, all packed up and ready to head home.

The following users liked this post:
A 2 (06-16-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 06:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Jeff, it can be hard to build confidence after a crash. It will take time. Better tires might help in your case to have confidence in your equipment. Some years ago I crashed into the wall after turn 10 at the Glen in my TR3. I spun in oil that another Brit car left. For years after that I would think about that crash when going thru 10. I have not raced with with a bunch of Brit cars since then either. I've done many laps there since and don't think about it anymore.
The following users liked this post:
blueosprey90 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 01:36 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff - those Miata’s were anything but stock. Intake, header, exhaust and a tune at a very minimum. They also had the interior stripped out, were running track suspension and very sticky tires compared to what you had. I’d have had to help them by too. I thought you did well to drive all three sessions and handle traffic as well as you did. Don’t beat yourself up. It’ll come back in due course.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:24 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Made a reservation at the Budget Inn Watkins Glen after dragging my feet for a while.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:30 AM

It looks like I am out of commission for Watkins Glen. I had a trial scheduled for today pushed back to July 12th. Due to needs of client, I can't postpone.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Argh! Just won’t be fun without you there El Jefe.

what about time trials at Thompson on July 1st and 2nd? You know you wanna go and MoHud could use you as a member too

https://timetrials.scca.com/events/2...red-by-hagerty
Old 06-21-2022, 11:36 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I have a hotel room booked too for Thompson as well as Watkins Glen. So if you decide to come along at the last minute, you’ll have a place to stay.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:44 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Default 2022 SCCA Time Trials National @ Thompson Speedway

So I ordered a set of wheels and tires. I was told that the Falken 660s run wide and I should go for a size 225 all around. I usually run 245-40-17 in the front of the Si and 225-45-17 in the rear. When I installed the new wheels there was some light tire rub during cornering. When I checked the tires, they seemed ok. I drove to Thompson and checked the tires again and they looked intact. So it seemed like they'd be ok. I figured as I'd be stiffening the shocks in the rear, the car wouldn't roll as much and I should be fine. I was wrong.

I come in from my first practice session and drivers side rear tire had rubbed quite a bit. The tire was still fine but the edge was rubbing and sticky tire goo was on the fender. I cleaned it off and Adam from my local region rolled my fenders as much as he could in the paddock. It looked better now, so I went out for my second practice session and didn't push as hard. Did 3 laps and came in. The times were good and I was going as fast as I'd gone without even pushing which means the tires were good. There was still rub and after Adam's son tried to adjust rear camber and gave up as he could not get the nut loose, I decided it wasn't worth ruining new tires and decided to run a spare set of wheels that have one year old RE71Rs that had seen 7 track days and were past their prime on the car. I figured I wouldn't go any faster, but I at least had a way of running in the event.

But, I had seen how the Falkens were gripping in the corner and the confidence they gave me made me want to try pushing a bit harder. I had previously run these tires on an incredibly hot day with CART and the fastest I'd gone was a 1:28. First session on the first lap, I experience oversteer entering the bridge turn and catch the car and decide to work some more heat into the tires. I work my way up and comfortably finish the session with a 1:27.34 lap time in my first time attack. I was happy that I'd gone faster. It was much warmer for the second time attack so I went out and did three laps. No sense wearing the tires out as thunderstorms were expected the next day and I needed some tread if I had to complete Day 2 and then also drive the car home. I did another 1:27 although this was slower.

In between the sessions, I was also working the Track Night event they had arranged in the gap between TT sessions. After the day was done, I helped the Millers with the party. It rained overnight and rather heavily, but I slept through it as tired as I was.

Day 2 started with Track Sprints. The roads were wet but drying as I arrived at Thompson and by the time it was time for track sprints, the track had dried up too. I did well quite contrary to my usual failure at this segment. I was able to do two runs that were at 62 seconds apiece. The day was cooler but humid and I figured once the sun came out, the grip would drop off. But the cloud cover stayed and there were even some raindrops.

I went out for my first Time Attack of the day and did three quick laps with a cool down and another quick lap before coming in. Look at the times and I'd gone even quicker. The cooler temps had helped. Elsewhere the class leaders were lapping around 1:20-1:24. So while I did not finish on the podium and was 7th out of 9 cars, it was still a win in my book.

1. The new tires had phenomenal grip and showed me where I could push.
2. I took that knowledge and tried harder. Areas I improved, were rolling speed into Turn 3. Per Harry Adalian, speed at the apex there should be 62. I think I was able to work my way up to 57 or 58 MPH. The other section was leaving the oval. I'd seen videos of the quick guys never dropping below 50 MPH exiting the oval at Turn 9 and rolling that speed to the apex of Turn 10. I was able to do that quite well I thought.

All along I've always believed in the Hankook RS4s and liked them for their longevity. But they don't quite have the grip of the super 200 treadwear tires like the Falken 660, the RE71R or the Yokohama A052. So I think going forward, I should always have a set of the aggressive tires to use for TT. In a way the comparatively limited grip of the RS4s made me cautious I think.

In any case, I left there with a smile and was happy that I had improved over a second and half from the last time where I barely broke into the 1:27s. I almost had a 1:25. I still need to work on my driving. The guy that recorded the fastest lap in class (a 1:20 but still finished second) was not slowing below 60 MPH going under the bridge. I think that is supreme confidence and a lot of fearlessness and granted he was running an FRS which has a better center of gravity than the Si. That is something I'll have to build on in the future.

Off to watkins with the gang on Sunday. Mike, Rico, Corvette John and Anthony will be there. Hoping to see Freddy and his brother as well.

Here are videos from my fastest Time Attack session on Day 2 as well as from the Track Sprint.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:24 AM

Good report.

I had visions of driving the S to Lincoln Pond on Friday, then driving to Watkins Glen on Sunday afternoon and seeing you all at the Budget Inn on Sunday night. After discussing with Nancy, I even had her agree to stay at the Budget Inn as opposed to the Harbor House. Alas it is not to be. Court orders came in yesterday. .

So have fun, stay safe.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going