New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 09-07-2023, 04:53 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Excellent update. Looking forward to the Monday report unless there was some bench racing on Sunday.
Old 09-18-2023, 10:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Last event of the season is done. This has to be my shortest season in years. Just 4 days on track. This event was also the final event of the TT championship we are running for Mohawk Hudson SCCA. Last year, I had four competitors and even though I finished first, I withdrew so the award could go to someone else. This season, I was the only driver in class, so a class of one

In any case, here are the videos.

This was my time attack session where you are gridded by time but run like a regular DE session. I did not equal my best time of 1:25 at Thompson for some reason. Others also said that for some reason they did not feel like they were going any faster. I did do a 1:26 in this session for my fastest.

This next session is a two lap flyer called the Time Trial. Your best time from the time attack is added to the time trial for a combined time. I think I finished second of two drivers in class. Did not match my best time from the day, but both my laps were consistently in the 1:27s (a 1:27.48 and 1:27.73)
Old 09-20-2023, 08:10 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Historic Festival, Part Three

Since Lime Rock does not race on Sunday, I thought it a good opportunity to bring the Volvo and display it at the so-called “Gathering of the Marks”. And although I also wanted to display the MGA, I couldn’t get a straight answer on where I should place it until it was too late. As a result, I spent my morning checking the MGA’s front suspension and brakes, retorquing the head and resetting the valve lash. By then the Gathering was in full swing.

When I started to head back to check in on the Volvo, a remnant of Mark Brandow’s crew shared his tale of woe. Mark (1947 MG TC) had blown his engine, Garth Gill (1950 MG TD) had connected him with an engine core in Philadelphia and Mark was due back in the early afternoon. I went looking for an engine hoist in A Paddock without success. Then I killed some time at the Gathering.

Mark and his posse returned mid afternoon and had had the foresight to stop at Harbor Freight to purchase an engine hoist.

As he started to prepare the new engine, I pitched in with several others to assemble the engine hoist. Within about 30 minutes, the assembled masses had pulled the engine out of his car, revealing errors in our hoist assembly work that we then proceeded to correct. In the meanwhile, Mark was stripping his race engine of its peripherals for transfer to the new engine, and stripping the new engine of its unnecessary parts.

By the time I looked, he was struggling with frozen bolts and studs and I was less than optimistic. Helping hands and better vice grips ultimately prevailed over the frozen pieces, and he managed to strip the engine of the necessary parts for transfer. This included the flywheel, the oil pump and I don’t know what else.

By this time Kurt Byrnes (1951 MG TD) was fully engaged and he deserved the MG Vintage Medal of Honor for all of his efforts. It was maybe 5:30 when the engine was dropped in the chassis - and not without a lot of yanking, pushing and leveraging.

Hands flew as people bolted on parts and connected up the transmission. A teenaged ? girl on Mark’s crew was drafted into the fray because of the need for some small hands. At dusk, Steven Hyatt from VRG invited us to grab some food from the VRG cookout and I organized the crew ladies to bring some food for the crew.

Darkness is descending and Kurt Byrnes is asked to install the starter.

For reasons unclear, it doesn’t fit. Kurt produces a close ratio starter of unknown functionality, but Mark asks him to try to fit the original starter. By now the after dinner crowd is gathering. Lights suddenly appear as does some sort of grinding equipment. Kurt is on his knees grinding at the starter obstruction, while a number of us are trying to figure the wiring for the alternate starter. Larry Smith (1962 MG Midget) and Doug Schirripa (1963 MGB and 1950 Lester MG T 51 Special) ( and others) scrounge in their trailers for wire, connectors and crimping equipment and a nut to hold the connection onto the starter. Someone produced a power pack to test the starter and a discussion of my fear of 12 volts ensues. In exasperation, Doug Schirripa grabs the starter out of my hands, connect it to the power pack and, touches the wire to the solenoid and the starter spins up!

As Kurt is installing the starter, Mark attempts to attach the engine to the engine mounts. One side is attached, but the other side doesn’t line up. A scramble ensues as we try to locate a crowbar, and ultimately Dave Nicholas (1960 MGA & 1968 BMW 2002Ti) produces some tire irons and bars to lever the front plate into position. By now, Kurt has installed the substitute starter and Mark decides to spin up the engine to verify oil pressure. After much spinning, it is apparent that the motor is not building oil pressure.

Now this engine has an external oil pump with a number of ports attached to the engine, what appeared to be an external oil filter on the firewall as well as an oil cooler in front of the radiator. Mark and everybody else are scratching their heads to come up with the reason that the engine won’t build oil pressure. One by one all of the ports on the oil pump are opened and filled with oil in an attempt to prime the system. Still no pressure.

A tube is produced and Kurt then sucks at the oil pressure line to try to get oil flowing at that connection. When that fails, Elliott Golden (Kevin (MGA) & Heather Richards (Midget) crew) takes over with a syringe and still nothing. Oil lines are pulled from the oil cooler in the attempt to find a blockage or an air lock. And by the time I leave at 9:30 the decision is taken to pull the oil filter apart.

Alas, there was to be no race for Mark on Monday. Mark, Kurt and the crew ultimately threw in the towel after being unable to find oil pressure. The engine install was abandoned. Mark and his crew spend Monday cleaning up the mess and reassembling his car for transport back to Minnesota by way of Watkins Glen.

It was herculean, but unfortunately, I am unable to credit the many people who helped out or contributed to the attempt.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (09-20-2023)
Old 09-20-2023, 09:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Terrific account Jeff. Great to read that.
Old 09-25-2023, 05:05 AM

I'm supposed to be racing Friday & Saturday at Lime Rock. I pulled the car out of the barn yesterday, but never got to work on it. Do or die today.
Old 09-27-2023, 04:40 PM

Historic Festival, Part Four

Monday (Labor Day) was another beautiful day with two all MG races on the car for 10:40 and 1:50. I arrived in due course and learned that my paddock neighbor, Mark Brandow, had never found any oil pressure and had abandoned his engine swap shortly after I had left on Sunday. I uncovered my car, checked tire pressure and warmed it up as my “crew” started to arrive and belted me in for my first race.

For race 1, I was gridded in slot #28, but because of missing cars, I actually started at #22 with John Leoutsacos (#03 Midget) at #21 and James Goodson (#180 MGA) at #20. Behind me was Heather Richards (#50A Midget) and Carl George (#107 MGA) who had been gridded ahead, but had stalled at the start. Dave Nicholas (#76 MGA) was also starting from the back of the grid.

I’m not sure what happened on the pace lap, but John Leoutsacos and James Goodson fell back and were about 300 feet behind me when the green flag waived. Essentially, I passed them before the race had started and then they held back everyone who was further behind. Dominic Cullen (#585 MGA) got ahead at the start, but he withdrew to the pits in the 4th lap. In the 4th lap, Larry Smith (#621 Midget) loomed up in my rearview and passed me in the braking zone for Big Bend. About that same time my Nemesis, Jim Juhas (MGA #311) appeared to be struggling with traffic and I wasn’t too far behind him, but now Carl George (MGA #107) had caught up and was pressing from behind. Juhas slipped away, I fell behind Anthony Hess in the #84 TVR and Carl George passed me in lap 6. I stayed more or less with him for most of the rest of the race, getting lapped by the front runners, including Eric Russell (MGA #61) until Dave Nicholas (MGA #76) who came from nowhere and passed me in the last lap. It was a fun race, perhaps my best of the weekend. I finished in 18th position with respectable for me lap times and with my fastest lap of the weekend at 1:13.842.

Photo by Ed Hyman

The nice part of participating in a big spectator event such as the Historic Festival, especially when you are racing in the first race of the afternoon, is that there is a pre-race invocation followed by the singing of the Star Spangled Banner. I was belted up and sitting on the false grid for my second race when the National Anthem was sung. What with the helmet and the distance, I heard only the faintest of strains, but I had a clear view of the flag - on the hill - in the sun - against a cloudless sky. I gave thought to all of those who had died, were maimed or had lost everything for our freedoms and our country, whether in the service or otherwise; and I also felt disgust for those who disrespect the sacrifices that so many have made on our behalf. It felt good to stop everything for a few moments to think about these things.

Photo by Ed Hyman

I started near the back of the grid and I guess I was sleeping when we came around for the green flag. Dominic Cullen (MGA #595) started on the inside with Heather Richards (Midget #50A) and John Leoutsacos (Midget #03) in the row behind. Jim Warren (MGA #298) and Jim Holoday (MGA Twin Cam #51) were in the last row.

Dominic Cullen and Heather Richards both got a good jump on me at the start. Dominic pulled past several other cars and disappeared. Heather fell behind James Goodson (MGA #180). Jim Holoday passed us all early and disappeared, leaving Goodson, Heather Richards, me, Leoutsacos, and Warren to have our own little race at the back of the pack. Goodson seemed to be having a little trouble in the Left Hander and in maybe the third lap, Heather followed him wide and I managed to drop under and pass them both. Heather followed me, quickly getting by Goodson. As a result she was on my tail for the entire rest of the race, with some ebb and flow as all of the faster cars overtook us. Leoutsacos not far behind, with Jim Warren bringing up the rear. About mid race Dominick Cullen spun in Big Bend and dropped to last, but he soon recovered and regained most of his lost positions. In the meanwhile Heather becomes a constant threat, while Leoutsacos is threatening her, while Warren is threatening him. I was pretty sure Heather would be able to make her move before the end of the race, but she got hung up in passing traffic (the leaders were putting us two laps down!) and faded back at the end. The checkered flag flew with me two laps down in 20th position followed by Heather, Leoutsacos, Warren and Goodson. I was a couple seconds per lap slower in race #4, running a best lap of meager 1:14.962. Still, it was a fun race.

The following users liked this post:
A 2 (09-27-2023)
Old 09-27-2023, 05:26 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

You need to give the Hoosiers a shot at some point. I have a feeling you’ll easily move up 10 spots. Just once for one season give the Hoosiers a go.
Old 09-29-2023, 08:55 AM

VSCCA Fall Finale - It was supposed to be a pretty decent day for racing - until today actually arrived. Dreary with persistent, moderate rain. I went to the track hoping for better conditions, but not the case. What to do? What with an open car, I would be drenched for the weekend. So I decided to sit out the morning runs; but when the first run group was being held at the false grid, I thought it would be a better use of my time to go home and clean up the mess I had left behind.

Rain has continued to pelt the pedestrians, but I was about to head back for the afternoon sessions. But to no avail. I just received an e-mail that the day's events have been cancelled.

Maybe tomorrow the weather will improve.
Old 10-01-2023, 08:09 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Did you get any running yesterday? Who won the Litchfield Cup
this year?
Old 10-05-2023, 03:57 PM

Report on the Fall Finale to follow. On Monday, I drove down to Newport News, VA to pick up an engine in pieces. I need a new spare head. The engine will require decades of rust removal, but the head looks pretty good. Then did Williamsburgh, Jamestown and York. Just got back.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going