New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 07-12-2023, 07:39 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

You were at Club Moto Jeff?
I was looking at the track's pictures that they posted to Instagram and I thought I caught a glimpse of you, then assumed I was mistaken because you were out on the high seas.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:09 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by NoDelta
You were at Club Moto Jeff?
I was looking at the track's pictures that they posted to Instagram and I thought I caught a glimpse of you, then assumed I was mistaken because you were out on the high seas.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Mike, I was there last Friday and Saturday, July 6 & 7. Here is a link to some photos that I can't copy and paste here. The ones of me (#645) are of me being passed.

Deb Weil-ODay - - 2023 WMVGP @Tamworth Group 1 (debodaymotorsports.com)
Old 07-12-2023, 10:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Jeff come do the CART Time Trials with Mike and me. Rico is considering signing up too. Drive my car if you have to.
Old 07-12-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We missed you Aashish. Hope you're feeling better! We'll have to coordinate one where we can all come out. Caught up with Rico and Anthony. Was nice to see them after so long.

Sorry to hear about your car Jeff! Wishing you good fortune with the rebuild.
Old 07-12-2023, 03:18 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Muggsy240
We missed you Aashish. Hope you're feeling better! We'll have to coordinate one where we can all come out. Caught up with Rico and Anthony. Was nice to see them after so long.

Sorry to hear about your car Jeff! Wishing you good fortune with the rebuild.
Freddy - is that you? I’m much better now, thank you.

Dennis and you should come out to Palmer on Saturday 8/26 for the TT event. It’ll be fun. You can also sign up and do it as a track day.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:36 PM

I had experienced some steering wheel shake on hard right turns, similar in feel to unbalanced tires. Changed left wheel bearings, but had some play in left kingpin. But it was my right kingpin that failed. Right turn at estimated 65 to 70 mph. Car eventually landed on the oil pan which is now leaking. Suffered body damage trying to load on the trailer as well as some potential damage to the fuel line. Thank you Earl Tucker for helping get the lump on the trailer!

Started to strip it down.

Removed brake pads and brake caliper. Hung the caliper from the frame with a zip tie.

Pried off grease cap.

Removed castelated nut.

Replaced castelated nut backwards and applied hub puller to pull the hub and rotor. Rotor rusty because of big rain storm.

Removed the steering tie rod. All my crow bars were on a road trip, so I applied downward pressure using a long bar for moving stones while wacking the end of the steering arm with a 5 lb hammer.

Removed the lower swivel link.

Lower swivel link, removed. The grease fitting has been destroyed

Next removed the upper swivel link bolt and removed the rest of the kingpin assembly, including the steering knuckle. I had to loosen and ultimately remove the sway bar link.

At this point, I am about an hour into the repair.

My next problem is to separate the steering arm from the knuckle, as this step must be completed before the broken king pin can be removed from the knuckle. Removing these two pieces took me a few hours. Eventually, I wailed at the steering arm with a sledgehammer - the 5 pound hammer was insufficient - after heating up the knuckle with a MAP gas blow torch. I protected the threaded end on the steering arm with the nut. With heat, the remains of the king pin were somewhat easier to remove - but still required firm blows with the 5 pound hammer.

Ordered replacement parts from Scarborough Faire. They arrived this morning , less than 12 hours after my call. Thank you Cecelia!

To be continued.

Last edited by blueosprey90; 07-12-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-13-2023, 12:22 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I’m just happy you are safe. Reading that description it could have ended a lot worse than it did.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:24 AM

Here's a picture of the broken kingpin.

And the pieces.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:48 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I had to Google Kingpin to get an idea of what it did. Hoping you have it all wrapped up quickly Jeff. All of this will be worth it once you do some laps out on track.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:20 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

This is very sad. Two members lost their lives at an autocross event near Washington

https://www.scca.com/articles/201748...ckwood-prosolo

in addition to that there have been some other losses as well in the past few days in the amateur motorsport community. Count your blessings and don’t take anything for granted. This just makes me glad that Jeff was unharmed.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going