New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 04-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

My friend Eric R. hit the tire wall at VIR. He came in so hot that he thinks the throttle was stuck.

This was the way he was supposed to do it.

The hit doesn't look like much, but the damage to his car was not insignificant.

Last edited by blueosprey90; 04-03-2023 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:53 PM

Photo of the high torque starter layout. The bell housing is from an early MGB and is a bit higher than the high mount MGA starter position - not by much, just enough to require an early MGB back plate!

Based on my failed effort to get the close ration transmission to shift gears two years ago with the engine running, I have been very afraid that I might achieve a similar result this time and end up having to pull everything and start over with my old transmission.

So tonight I put the transmission in gear, then jammed a 2x4 between the clutch pedal and the floor cross member to hold it down to the floor, then crawled under the car and was successful in spinning the driveshaft by hand. Repeated the process with the clutch pedal released and the drive shaft would not spin by hand. So I am happily assuming the clutch will function as intended.

Filled the transmission with oil and finished installing the carburetors.
The following users liked this post:
A 2 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:35 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
My friend Eric R. hit the tire wall at VIR. He came in so hot that he thinks the throttle was stuck.

https://youtu.be/xepyR7X5pSg

This was the way he was supposed to do it.

https://youtu.be/a-xaS5vBUdw

The hit doesn't look like much, but the damage to his car was not insignificant.

ouch! Is that Eric our friend that offered to let us camp at his house and flagged the Time Trials at VIR? Hoping he’s able to get the car fixed and running. How bad was the damage?
Old 04-04-2023, 04:27 PM

Yes, Mr. A. the same Eric.

As for me, Good news and mostly bad news.

Good news: Got the engine running.
Bad news: Close ratio transmission won't shift with engine running - and is also difficult to shift (notchy) just sitting there. Exactly where I was two years ago.
Stock transmission shifts like butter. Using the same pressure plate, different clutch disc. I don't believe it is my hydraulics, but I suppose I should bleed the slave.
Transmission supposedly came out of a race car that was converted back to a street car. Looks beautiful inside. I'm going to have to think about this. If I can find it, I have a slave cylinder pushrod that has had about 1/2" brazed onto the end. Before pulling everything, I may give that a try.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:37 PM

I was rather depressed. But it is sunny today and maybe there will be a race season after all!

I had never seen this problem mentioned. I discovered that i could only shift when the clutch was depressed halfway.

I installed a used close ratio transmission with an MGB 3 synchro transmission bell housing and an MGA tail section. I installed an AP Heavy Duty Competition Clutch, part CA 3517, but sold by Moss as part 190-810. Also a 23 spline 8.5" Heavy Duty Clutch with solid Center sold by Moss as part 190-821. I'm using an MGB 3 synchro transmission face plate and throw out fork, fork part MGB 22 B 56. I'm re-using a roller throw out bearing that I assume is Moss part 190-305.

Wheels off the ground.

With the clutch fully released and the transmission in neutral, the driveshaft spins gently - and I believe this is normal.

With the car in gear, the driveshaft spins. With the clutch fully depressed, the driveshaft spins.

But with the clutch depressed only halfway, the clutch releases and gears can be shifted.

Here is a video taken from near the shift tower looking down.

Here is a video from a few days ago showing clutch travel at the slave cylinder.

I posted my problem on the MG Experience boards and one of the guys said it was "clutch overthrow". Once he told me what to call it, I did a search and came up with several threads (Mini, Fiero and Honda), including one in which Malcolm Cox (MGA) had a similar problem and noticed it accidentally, just as I did. Since I didn't see how I could easily install a pedal stop, I just shortened the pushrod coming out of the master cylinder by 5 full turns and it seems to allow me to shift, although the clutch engages very close to the floor.

So it would seem that the clutch disc is too tall, or the pressure plate is too beefy. Hard for me to imagine that the "heavy duty, competition" pressure plate is too soft.

I'm going to play with it a bit more, but I think I can move on.
Old 04-10-2023, 04:17 AM

Been working on the engine since October.
After almost giving up ...

It's ALIVE!
The following 2 users liked this post by blueosprey90:
A 2 (04-10-2023), NNY S2k (04-10-2023)
Old 04-10-2023, 07:43 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That’s awesome Jeff. So glad to hear that. All set for the Spring Sprints I assume.
Old 04-27-2023, 04:41 AM

I do believe I will be racing ... er, ... uhm, ... repairing my car, ... at the VSCCA Spring Sprints the weekend after next. Lime Rock Park, Friday & Saturday.

Car has been on the trailer since last Sunday and I have been concentrating on cleaning up and re-organizing all my tools and spare parts.

There appear to be a few MGAs coming out.

Old 04-28-2023, 06:56 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Instructing at Lime Rock tomorrow with BMWCCA. Not driving tomorrow.
Old 05-04-2023, 08:14 AM

Well, Disgruntled was hoping to read an Opus Magnus on the instructing, but I suppose certain people have better things to do than to entertain him!

I'm in the process of loading up. Plan is to run up to Lime Rock today to drop the car off and go through tech. Have only 6 runs total for both days. Also not in the group I had hoped to be. Oh well, let's hope the motor runs and the transmission functions without trouble.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going