New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 09-29-2022, 10:28 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Next time, sign up for the track day. I don't think you will be disappointed.
he has plans to get on track next season. I suggested he go to stable energies and purchase a helmet. Then brake pads and fluid and he’ll be all set.
Old 09-30-2022, 06:06 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Jeff - hope the day went well
Old 10-02-2022, 07:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I saw Santo’s post about you leading the team to victory.

nicely done El Jefe. Will await the report
Old 10-03-2022, 01:06 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

I showed up around 2:45.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:20 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

What’s that red sedan that appears around 4:33 at Turn 2?

congratulations again El Capitan. So what was the format of the Litchfield cup? Was it the fastest laps for the the British cars against the fastest laps of the Italian cars? Seemed like a lot of fun and I really wish I was able to visit.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:08 PM

"What’s that red sedan that appears around 4:33 at Turn 2?"

Ford Lotus Cortina Mk II

Sept 30-Oct 1, 2022. VSCCA Fall Finale

A part of me is happy that the race season is over, but a part of me wishes it could continue. I only ran in three vintage race events this year and they were not without difficulty. I finished the season running my spare 1800 block with a flowed, unshaved 15 head and with H4 carburetors. I believe, however, that something is missing from this formula.

Friday was a nice, cool day, perfect for racing. I went out on track with some trepidation, however, because my driving skills are a bit rusty and tentative, especially having hit the tire wall in the S2000 last October.

Session 1 was a warm up session. Right away, I smelled fuel. I initially denied that it was me, but after the other cars pulled away and I still smelled fumes, I felt I should come in. Flow bowl cover had come off, so I was lucky I didn’t blow myself up!

I fixed the carbs for Session 2 – tightened everything down. I ran the car pretty hard and my misfires seemed to be gone, although the car seemed low on power and a little bit gurgly. Pitiful lap times, more due to my rustiness than anything else. When I came in I had evidence of an oil leak at the hose that runs to the oil catch can. I removed the hose and noted a few drops of water dripping out. Checked underside of the oil cap and saw milky residue evidencing water mixed in with the oil. Scratched my head a bit, but decided to re-torque the head (which I had planned for at the end of the day with a cool engine). But I was now re-torquing the head while hot. I was surprised to find that all of the nuts on the short head studs turned about 60 degrees to reach their torque setting, while the nuts on the longer valve train studs did not turn at all. Sixty (60) degrees also seemed excessive! Reset the valve lash. I saw no evidence of water on the dipstick, so I decided to continue to run.

Session 3 - Tentative, nothing special, But the car lacks power on the main straight. Exhaust gas temps pegged at 1400 which is higher than usual, but the engine temperature stayed just above 190 degrees. Motor seems to be gurlgling. Changed needles from #6 to #7 (slightly richer) in hopes of addressing exhaust gas temps. Reset Valve lash. Some were a bit tight.

Session 4 - Ran OK, no power in 4th. Worked to improve time by better driving. Still seems to be gurgling. At end of session, tried to adjust and balance carbs, but couldn’t make them work and decided to leave as is, Seemed to be galloping, but then not. Erratic!

Litchfield Cup Race 25 minutes – 18 laps recorded Ran consistently. But lots of point bys and only averaged about a 1:19 per lap. Max speed down the straight was 94.4 mph, but probably averaged a max speed of 92 mph. Running with anything British, meaning sports racers. Lots of fun

Saturday, Practice - Gloomy, wet morning. Only went up to the track to uncover car for benefit of boy scouts. Decided to run. Track damp, light drizzle. Running high 1:20s to low 1:30s. After the run, tried again to reset carbs, noticed choke return spring missing, Replaced

Saturday Race: Ran consistently, but car makes no power on front straight. Lap times mostly in the 1:16s. Two laps in high 1:15s, Average max speed was only 93 mph.

Race 2 – All Comer’s race. Only 5 cars showed up for grid, but 40 minutes allotted for racing. 22 laps recorded. Faded at the start, then came in to reset Aim Solo which seemed not to have picked up satellite reception, then just worked on lap times. Drove well, trying to get some laps below 1:15. Car runs better with the choke return spring in place. Maximum speed 94 mph. Mostly running in 1:15s and 1:16s, best lap a 1:14.992. Guessing my cam timing is too retarded. In third gear I could pull to 6,000 rpm (and beyond) fairly easily, but on the main straight limited to about 92 mph on average. Mostly running alone, but tried to catch the MGTD Garth Gill and had a photo finish with him – although he beat me.

My thinking is this:

1) my history of misfire with the ghost main engine was caused by either a) a failed head gasket – very slight and hard to diagnose, but enough to cause major trouble or b) a porosity in the engine block. I think water leaked into the combustion chamber as evidenced by whitish spark plug color that I sometimes saw and that I misread for a lean condition. I will devote some attention and try to salvage the ghost main engine.

2) The increase in exhaust gas temperature to 1,400 degrees experienced this weekend is directly related to my running the H4 rather than the H 6 carbs. Less air flow at wide open throttle.

3) I need to do a better job in carb maintenance and in tuning the carbs. I will do some additional maintenance on the H6 carbs.

4) My lack of top end power with the spare block is probably related to me screwing up the cam timing. Too much retarded. I’ll double check my notes concerning performance, but I’m almost positive that this engine made more speed down the front straight with the 2 degree offset key and the stock cam sprocket, coupled with my original 18 head. I will have that head refurbished to address valve recession.

A guy named Fred Castleton took a few great pictures.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:47 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Great report Jeff and that pic of the MG on No Name is terrific. I think that has to be the best picture of your car on track.

I felt much the same way after the CART Time Trial ended as in wishing I had one more event. I got the most points overall in the Tuner 4 class in the region, but have decided to remove myself from the field. I figure it is more deserving to recognize the others that finished below me. One of them, Nigel (who you know) is in his first season and I think it is good for the program locally if he wins the Championship.

Woke up a few mornings feeling a bit depressed and looked to see if SCDA had any more events. But then I decided it is best to suck it up and let the season end as it did on a high. And then the Civic today seems to have a problem with the thermostat. I had it flatbedded to Mohawk Honda where Jeremy works. Hopefully it's just the thermostat and nothing more serious. Soon it will be time to put the S2000 away too.

There may be a trip back to VIR in March so mark your calendar. I will let you know once that is confirmed.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

A2, let me know what Jeremy finds on the Si.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:08 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Mark355
A2, let me know what Jeremy finds on the Si.
sure thing Mark. Jeremy said he won’t be doing it as he works on the quick oil change and new car prep side. So it’ll likely be Rick who also owns an S2000 and is friends with Adam who bought Rob’s CR.

I expect they’ll start work on it tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:32 AM

I found this photo in a batch of VSCCA Fall FInale photos posted by Eddie Hyman.

Could this be the image my car left on the tire wall one year on?

Doubt it.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going