New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

Old 03-15-2022, 05:26 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going

The last thread (link below) was started in Jan 2021.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/new-york...021-a-1205700/

It’s the ides of March and we don’t yet have a thread. I signed up for SCDA at Watkins Glen in July and figured I’d start this thread. Assuming Mr. Osprey will be joining. NoDelta Mike has been making noises about going as well.

in addition to this I’ll be doing the SCCA Time Trials events at Thompson, NJMP and Pitt Race. I’ll also plan to work a few Track Night events. I’ll also be running with CART for their TT events. And the Patroon BMWCCA events at Lime Rock.

Last edited by A 2; 05-22-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:01 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Aargh!

After crashing the S2000 into the tire wall, I've pretty much defaulted into retirement! I haven't signed up for anything. Usually by now, I'm all geared up for the the first SCDA track day at Lime Rock.

If Aashish is signed up for Watkins Glen for July, however, I'll need to reconsider that event. I most likely will need new tires, since the shoulders on my current tires are showing signs of cording.

I do plan to sign up for Track Night in America for June 9th, provided Aashish alerts me to when the registration opens. Was planning to run novice, bringing my son-in-law along in his car. He has a new to him BMW that he would like to try out. I figured I could do some lead-follow drills with him. My tires should be good enough for that "last" event.

I do plan to sign up for the VSCCA Spring Sprints at Lime Rock on May 6-7. I hope to swap the exhaust on the MGA before then. If that doesn't cure my misfire in the first run, my plan is to rush home, pull the engine and swap in my spare. I figure it should take about 10 hours to swap the engine and if successful, I'll be back and running on Saturday.

Old 03-16-2022, 01:52 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Don't be hasty. If you want to save the S2000, you are welcome to codrive my Civic at Watkins. As far as tires go, be sure to order them sooner than later. Tire Rack doesn't have the traditional wide selection for 200 treadwear tires. The Hankook RS4 is not available on their site. Continental has a new 200 treadwear tire but that is super expensive. Falken has the RT660s at a good price, but do not expect them to last longer than 10K miles. You will enjoy the grip they provide though.

As for Lime Rock, the events are in June. Mike plans to join us for one of those events too. Registration should open two months prior to the event, so expect reg to open in May.
Old 03-17-2022, 12:54 PM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I`m in for some track days this year!
I`m currently signed up with Mass Tuning for 6/26 at Canaan, 8/13 at Club Motorsports, and 9/17 @ Palmer.
I`ve gotten the OK for Watkins Glen with SCDA in July, but haven't cut the check yet. That's an overnight so I want to see what the world is doing closer to then.
I`m also in for TNIA at Limework - either day should work for me. I think the events are 6/8 and 6/9.

A2 - I`d consider the BMW/Limerock event. Which were you looking at?

Old 03-17-2022, 01:07 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Bikey- BMW event is 4/30. It’s a Saturday
Old 03-17-2022, 04:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Also looking to get on track this year and was eyeing SCDA at the Glen in July with my Civic Type R. How is that group to run with? It's been years since I've been at the Glen.
Old 03-18-2022, 03:14 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by MrSmith
Also looking to get on track this year and was eyeing SCDA at the Glen in July with my Civic Type R. How is that group to run with? It's been years since I've been at the Glen.
SCDA is one of the longest running private track day organizations in the northeast if not the US. You’ll get four 30 minute sessions per day and it usually is plenty of track time.

Novices will have instructors, intermediate drivers can request an instructor for a session and all passing is with a point by in designated passing zones like it is with all track days.

if there is anything more specific you wanna ask about them, post here and one of the many people that have run with SCDA will respond.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the factory roll hoop acceptable for the SCDA (assuming you pass the broomstick test)? Or are you required to install an aftermarket roll bar in the S2000?
Old 03-18-2022, 09:17 AM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Anon422
Is the factory roll hoop acceptable for the SCDA (assuming you pass the broomstick test)? Or are you required to install an aftermarket roll bar in the S2000?

Yes, but some tracks (VIR, NJMP??) still require an after market roll bar. Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Palmer, Pocono - OK. I drive top up in order not to worry about broomstick test issues. Of course, if I flip the car my life insurance will have to kick in.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:18 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by Anon422
Factory roll hoop is fine. The A pillar is the real roll structure in the S2000 and a lot of organizations deem the car safe enough to drive.

As you advance it is better for you to consider safety and put rollover protection into the car. Blueosprey90 drives his stock S2000 in the advanced group but that isn’t his regular track car, as he has a vintage race car.

SCDA will let you run the stock S2000 at their events except at tracks that have restrictions on convertibles like NJMP and VIR.

Quick Reply: Track Days 2023 & 2022 - Lets keep this going