New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 09-12-2017, 03:29 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Shiv - glad your car issue is sorted out for Palmer. I wish I was able to come. Alas, I just can't take any more time off.

Mike and I both felt it would have been awesome to watch you drive around Club Motorsports. I think their plan is to keep it open to other clubs too. So definitely sign up next year.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

And Shiv, Frank will probably have second thoughts once you lap the track faster than him. So go slow won't ya
Old 09-12-2017, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be at the Glen with NASA next Friday and saturday, anyone here going for HPDE, TT, or racing?

Mike
Old 09-12-2017, 06:15 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by daktruckie99
I will be at the Glen with NASA next Friday and saturday, anyone here going for HPDE, TT, or racing?

Mike
Not me. I let my NASA membership lapse for this season.

Jeff D and you going together? Hope you guys have a lot of fun
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Mike got some pics setting himself up on the rocks overlooking Turn 10 & Turn 11.

This one is a favorite. I hope it shows the double rainbow

Here is the yellow BRZ after I let him by and started trying to keep up with him. Notice how he is taking the wider line through Turn 14

Whereas I take a narrower line closer to the apex and then braking diagonally lining up with pit-in
Old 09-12-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

I'm getting ready to go to NJ Motorsports Park to race the Lightning this coming weekend. Had to put in new belts due to NJ law. Opted for the pull up type. Lots of belt ends flapping around. What a pain in the kiester to install.

Something like 46 or 48 cars listed in my run group. Should be interesting.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:17 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Have fun Jeff. Is this a VSCCA event or another vintage group?

how exactly are the harnesses different from the ones you currently have? I'm curious
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

So at the drivers meeting at Club Motorsports, Elivan announced that Newlin Keen of Track Time Photos has retired. They had a new photog on hand and she took very few pics of my cars. I guess she was focused on capturing the nicer looking cars. She did have 3 pics of me and I purchased this one as it shows me wearing my limited edition Lisa Goss polo shirt from last year that remembers Ian Prout on the sleeve.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:24 AM

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow. Club Motorsports was amazing and definitely my new favorite track. The asphalt was smooth, the curves had an incredible flow, the track was wide and felt much safer than Palmer, and the view should be placed on a postcard. This is definitely my new favorite track and I can't wait to go back. The only two issues I saw is that there are no trash cans in the parking areas and the flaggers need to get their shit together. I realize they're a new club, but there was an 80mph pass without pointby at the apex of turn 1 in my group that didn't get flagged, a beamer that wrecked at t7 that nobody flagged, countless times the checker was only displayed in one location, a flag station that physically didn't have any flags, and a long stretch (t6-t11) where there were no flag stations visible. They`ll get this figured out though.

I`m about to hit 100,000 miles and the car performed flawlessly. I drove it up, beat on it for 2 days, and then drove it home without issue. The GLoc R8s were every bit as good as I hoped, but the noise is infuriating on the street. The price we pay, I guess.
This was my first event with a roll bar installed and it felt much safer, even though I still got black flagged for being too tall when I ran top down. Between the added strain from sliding around as speeds increase and still being up too high, I`m starting to think that its time for seats and harnesses.

I typed up some track notes to help me get back up to speed next time. In case anyone's interested, here they are:

Pit out
Turn 2a - Stay to the left, offline. Give the apex to the folks on track at speed. Blend in at t2a track out.
Turn 2b – Turn in at the end of the curbing on the left. Late apex towards the end of the curbing on the right. Don’t track out too far. There are 4 black stripes in the asphalt. Put drivers tires on these and head straight towards the cone @ 3 (need a better reference point)
Turn 3 – Brake and heel toe 4-3 as you head towards turn in. Turn in before running out of track. Hard on the gas well before apex and stay on it. Track out to curbing on the right.
Turn 4 – No need to cut across the track. Stay hard on the gas, move 1-2 car widths off the right side of the track. Don’t lift. Stay on it. Hug the apex til you see turn in for T5.
Turn 5 – Brake hard while heading towards the turn in cone (about ¾ of the way down the curbing. Need a better reference). Heel toe 3-2. Let the car oversteer to get pointed up the hill. Trust the hill. On the gas as soon as possible.
Shift 2-3 near track out
Shift 3-4 at the top of the hill.
Asphalt widens to the left. No need to go out there. Stay straight. Slight right bend to stay on track.
Turn 6 - Where the widened asphalt tapers back, turn in. Apex. Keep your eyes downhill. This is a steep downhill and the car
understeers. Head towards mid track.
Turn 7 - Do not go track right. Consider the slope of the track and stay near the middle. No need to turn across the fall line. Tap the brackes and turn in from midtrack.
Get on the gas immediately. Apex, stay on the gas, and don’t lift! Clip the first corner of the curb at track out.
Breathe. Stay on it.
Turn 8 – probably the scariest corner. High speed. Breathe off the throttle a little. Focus on a clean turn in and clean apex. It`ll be ok.
Turn 9a – F#ck this corner. Don’t apex. Don’t lift. Stay on it and rimshot the outside.
Turn 9b – You can get your eyes on the apex (cone) well before the turn in point. At the end of the second day, I wasn’t using any turn in reference. Stay track right, turn in for a good apex when it feels right. Stay on the gas. DO NOT LIFT. There’s a lot of hill here that keeps the car well settled. Trust the hill. 85 mph at track out.Uphill.
Track left.
Breathe.

Turn 10 & 11, the trickiest corners. Tap the brakes before t10 turn in. (work on doing this without braking) Turn in at the end of the curbing on the left. Head straight across the track hug the inside curb for a minute, then track way out. The corner worker said to head toward the end of the curbing at the outside of the track, but this is difficult to see from inside the car. (Need to pick a reference point in the rocks.) Head towards the edge of the track, heel toe 4-3, trail brake to rotate, in to the t11 apex. Get on the gas. Track all the way out.
T12 & 13 – Move right to mid track. Stay on the gas. Turn in to apex t12 and stay on the gas. Go way out, staying on the gas. Head in to t13 apex. Stay on the gas. This is one big smooth sweeping left corner with an apex at 12 and an apex at 13. Very smooth. Very fast. Very settled.
T14 – shift 3-4. Stay hard on the gas. Hug the inside a little. 85 mph.
T15 – brake in a straight line towards the turn in cone. Downshift 4-3. Trail brake to rotate and get on the gas asap for the main straight. There is a huge amount of runout here. Great place to practice trail braking.
Main Straight – shift 3-4 and 4-5. 110mph at the end of the straight. Brake at the 2 marker. Slow to ~70 and heel toe 5-4.
T1 – there’s a huge runoff area. I was ~70 through here with room to spare. Work on this. Watch for cars coming out of the pits & track out to the pit out cones.
T2a – Need a good turn in point here, don’t brake, a little steering wheel at turn in, then head in a straight line towards the apex on the right, and stay on the gas as you head towards the t2b turn in point. There’s a bump at the t2a apex. Careful! S2000 was ok on stock suspension, but this could get scary.
Repeat.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Excellent analysis Mikey. The S2000 is perfect for that track. I was wishing I'd driven that instead. 110 MPH on the front straight is so much better than 103.

I think an AP1 would be easier to drive in that there will be fewer gear changes needed. I was grabbing 3rd gear into T1 and then 2nd gear into 5 and then holding 3rd until I got back onto the front straight. I think an AP1 would also be similar.

COM is going back there just in case you want to visit again.