New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 09-08-2017, 03:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Had a great day yesterday at Club Motorsports. Mike and I got to meet Cal (Thnks2u) and his son John. About to head back for day 2.

All you guys need to drive this track. On the track walk yesterday the elevation changes were eye opening.
Old 09-08-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Had a great day yesterday at Club Motorsports. Mike and I got to meet Cal (Thnks2u) and his son John. About to head back for day 2.

All you guys need to drive this track. On the track walk yesterday the elevation changes were eye opening.
Say Hi to Cal and John for me.
Try to get a ride along with John
Have fun be safe.
Old 09-08-2017, 08:30 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

^ Got home at 10:30 and just saw your message. Would have passed it on had I seen it sooner. John took me out for a ride in his 911 as we worked on timing his laps. Alas, I could not get the lap timer to work. Got Cal to ride out with me too, but I was late going out, so I got one recon lap and as I came around the Checkered came out. But I still drove the lap at speed somewhat, and as I suspected, Cal still has it. He told me I could get on the gas sooner. Then he observed me today from the top of the hill, and told me to turn in a tad sooner for the front straight and get on the gas sooner. Lo! and behold, I gained 2 MPH as I headed into Turn 1. It was really great to have John and him for company. Real nice people and I am so glad that I finally got to meet Cal.

There was also Alex from the NH area with a Sargasso Green custom painted S2000. I got to chat with him for a bit and told him he should connect with Bruce Bergeron to see about running with the White Mountain Chapter. He has a rollbar, seats and harnesses. There was another young guy with an 01 AP1, but I don't remember his name. He said he has 150,000 miles on his car that he purchased used. He only came for 1 day, today and I think he and his friends were running in Novice. Mike was a revelation. He asked me to ride out with me and scared the crap out of me. I am not sure if he timed himself, but I think he was faster than I. The new G-Loc pads seem to have given him plenty of confidence. It was great seeing him after a hiatus and I really enjoyed spending two days at the track with him.

The track is beautiful. They consider themselves a country club as opposed to a motorsports venue and work is ongoing on the facilities. As of now they have the track completed with curbs installed and nice metal fencing in place. They have no plans of running the track backwards and when I talked to Jason the manager yesterday, he indicated that they don't have plans to do a Monticello. Also as they consider themselves as a club and want to be good neighbors, they are very particular about their 92 db sound limit. I hear they blackflagged some cars for sound and they were very unhappy with some flags being ignored and that passing was happening into the corners in the instructor group. Matter of fact, before our last session today, Bill Prout and Elivan, in sequence walked around and had a stern conversation with every instructor car to behave and only pass in the passing zone, and unbelievably, everyone complied.

You could feel some of the elevation in the track while driving it, but the track walk yesterday was a revelation. It's hard to believe how much the track meanders all over the mountain, and surprisingly it does not lend to very high speeds or maybe it was just me

There were quite a few offs in all the groups yesterday and today as well. The track is currently operating on a skeletal crew (they expect to ramp up), and if a group had an incident, then it would eat a bit longer into the session for the next group, while the track was cleaned up. But once they have more staff and get some of their facilities up and running, this place will have to beat people away with a stick. The track has a nice flow to it and it is technical. Given that its new, it is clean on the line, but offline there is plenty of dust and sand and it is very slippery there. The track is not yet rubbered in which I enjoyed. To sum up, I will say that it is definitely worth the 4.5 hour drive from Albany. I can see this taking business away from NHMS.

Here are some photos:
This was shared on FB by SCDA. If you squint hard enough, you will see me at the head of the instructor driving train (although I like to think I passed all of them :P)

Here you get a sense of the track climbing from Bottom right all the way up to Turn 10 and through 11 following which it starts descending again

Mike & Cal discussing lines

the obligatory selfie

On the track walk, with the camera looking back at Turn 1

The descent down the hill towards pit-in and the last corner that takes you on to the front straight
Old 09-08-2017, 08:47 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Here is a video from the last session. This has significance for me. I finally passed a car in the instructor group on the last lap, exiting the final corner coming on to the front straight. I am now an HPDE hero

Old 09-09-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last night was my first track night. Wow! Went to Palmer's with Greg Goss and Ernie Yue from work ...1st session
2nd Session
Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Sean - excellent driving. I watched both videos and you got comfortable very quickly. All of that I am sure comes from your knowledge of driving and racing. You did very well. Now I hope you make this a regular habit.

Haven't been to Palmer since May. I like how they painted the curbs. More tires placed on track too that I think lines up with them wanting to run the track in the opposite direction. My personal opinion is that it doesn't flow as well in the opposite direction, but I may change my mind.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:12 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

A few more pics

Alex with his Sargasso Green S2000

And here is a pic of my student and I
Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Some other random thoughts about Club Motorsports that I think people should be aware of:

- Please be respectful of the track and neighbors. As I said before they identify as a country club and not a motorsports venue. They have a 92 db limit and apparently the sound of cars can be heard in town while cars are running in a certain sector. So comply with sound.
- Comply with track limits. There were plenty of yahoos that went off and caused damage, dropped oil on track etc. This is a pristine facility and lets keep it that way. Make sure your car is safe to drive there. Don't be the guy whose diff came apart and that dropped oil all on the front straight and through Turn 2 (fastest section of the course). Also do not go off and drag rocks on to the track.
- While you in the area be respectful to the locals. You are there as a guest. So don't speed around and when you are in town, try to be pleasant with the locals. Also make purchases in town so the locals realize that the track is a good thing and will generate a positive economic impact.
- Also pass in the passing zones and only when you are given a proper point-by. Doing otherwise is considered bad behavior and is not something they like or want to encourage.

The track itself:
- Fastest speed I saw was 103 MPH. The straight appears long but it isn't long enough.
- Turn 1 is fast. Its a brake, downshift and then back on the gas towards Turn 2.
- Ease of gas pedal for T2 (street cars). Penskes and coilovers can priobably stay in the gas. As you come off the Apex for T2A and track out for T2B, you will feel a bump pushing the car out just past the apex of T2A. Be wary of that as it could cause a tank slapper.
- Bend the car in a little early than the Turn-in for T2B and as soon as you can unwind the steering wheel towards the center and make a speed adjustment for T3.
- Get on the gas and clip the apex for T3 and track out right and stay right and touch the curb on drivers right at T4 as you track out towards T5.
- T5 is horsepower hill. Grab second gear and make a speed adjustment and as you turn in get back on the gas as you make your way uphill. Keep your eyes on the rev counter as you will have to grab third soon enough before you crest the hill. After you crest the hill it will be downhill going into a right hand T6.
- Get on the brakes and trail in towards the apex, getting back on the gas at say a 2 pedal before the apex. Add back gas as you make your way out of T6 and set up about a car width to the right of center track.
- You will be going downhill and T7 is a left hander. Gently squeeze the brake, and then balance with gas you enter T7 and track out to the right for T8.
- T8 is a left hander, and you will come from the right and clip the apex and track out right again past the apex.
- T9A and T9B will require you to stay all the way to the right past T9A and then bring it in to the left and get back on the gas as the track climbs uphills past the apex of T9B.
- Past the apex of T9B, you will track out right and then back to the left again. You will hit redline too. So grab a higher gear if you need to. I did not need to.
- As you climb the hill and set up all the way at the right for Turn 10, you will have to make a speed adjustment as the track flattens out a bit. As you near the end of the curb, turn the car in and gas it cutting across the apex for T11 and headed straight to mid-track. Line up with the edge of the curb on the outside and squeeze the brakes, before turning in for T12 which is a decreasing radius turn. I was turning and using the gas to get the car rotated towards the apex.
- Past 12, you will track out to about mid-track or more, but just make sure you get your steering straight gradually as you go straight.
- T13 is a patience corner. I watched people turning in sooner. That may have worked for them, but I feel it is more comfortable waiting for the track to open up a bit before turning in and then straight lining it down to T14.
- T14 is one of those corners where you pick your poison. It is the penultimate corner and I watched people take it wide off the apex so they could brake in a straight line before turning in for T15 onto the front straight. The track itself starts descending downhill out of T12, so I felt it was better using the momentum, to touch the apex of T14 and straight line it through there. This meant I was braking diagonally but it also meant I was using less track. This brake zone is key. Brake earlier than you think and get the speed down to make an early turn-in for T15. The track is offcamber before the apex and turning in early will make sure you get to the apex and touch the curb (Thanks for the tip Cal ).
- As you cut across diagonally from the apex of T14, you are pointed towards the Pit-in lane demarcated by cones. Brake early and gently to get weight on the front and start turning in early for the apex of Turn 15. As you turn in and touch the curb, get back on the gas - this will give you a good launch on to the front straight and will give you the fastest speed by the end of the straight.

I'd like to thank Cal, John and Mike for their help in me learning the track and getting comfortable with it. Without their help I would not have been able to type the above guide.

Some other notes:
- In the BRZ, I was touching the rev limiter in the following spots
- T1 got the shift light come up at 103 MPH
- T2 in third gear had the shift light come up before turn-in for the apex of T2. So I was at 83 MPH
- Going downhill on Horsepower Hill, I was again getting the shift light at 84 MPH before braking for Turn 6
- I was bouncing off of the rev limiter just before cresting the hill prior to Turn 10.
- Getting the shift light again going downhill past Turn 14.
- I could not get laptimer to work, but by video I timed one lap at 1:57 1:56. Mike OTOH was running consistent 1:56s per a post on Facebook. He was faster than I, that I could tell from riding out with him on a session. (EDIT on 9/11: Upon reviewing the video from my last session, I did run a 1:56 once I pointed the yellow BRZ by and then tried to keep up with him. Other laps were in the 1:57 range with some 1:58s thrown in. Butt dyno still says Mike was faster)

Last edited by A 2; 09-11-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:01 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Pretty fast for me. Almost whole race under 1:14.

https://youtu.be/BpeJlhcGu8o
That was a great video. I just watched all of it on a sunday afternoon with a beer in hand. Cutting the video with the rearward facing camera was a great idea as it was nice to see the battles behind you. Was that Paul Cendron in the blue Alfa? I loved the line he took through Turn 1 and enjoyed how he got it under control. Assuming he is Marc's son?

I think you were driving at your very best. Very smooth with nary a hesitation. I'd probably be a bit more defensive going through some corners, but I understand you guys are there to have fun and avoid contact. That red XK120 was bothering me with his line though. He seemed to be all over the place without being very predictable. But you drove so well, I enjoyed it.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome report Aashish! You are sounding more and more of a Yoda figure, which is perfect given your progression as an instructor! It really is a breathtakingly beautiful place from your photos. I can only imagine it looks better in person. Really with I could have joined you gents. Hopefully they do allow some clubs to come next year as well so I can give it a go once or twice. Seems like a generally higher speed track, and a track where you never quite have enough horses. As always your driving was impeccable. I'm thinking the brz needs some coilovers and a thing under the hood that goes pshhh!

Headed to Palmer myself for a day on Thursday, after being MIA most of the season. And as usual as I was prepping the car with new rear knuckles 2 ball joints decided to snap themselves. So as the car is currently doing a gangster lean in the driveway, I was invited to drive Frank of Rud Motorsports E36 M3. Also this Thursday's event is a Rud event and the weather looks like it will be spectacular, so anyone that has some availability this would be a great event to close out the ending of the season.