New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Track Days 2017 - Itching to Get on Track

Old 01-27-2017, 05:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Got a start tonight getting the car ready for Greg and my upcoming track weekend. Trans and diff have fresh liquids. Waiting for oil filter to change up that next. Stoptechs will be a daytime project as my garage lighting leaves something to be desired! Going over nuts and bolts while I'm crawling around and waiting for fluids to drain.
Anyone know if gravity bleed works well wit the Stoptechs? Always worked well with stiock calipers for me and gave good pedal feel.
TIA
Old 01-27-2017, 05:57 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by pgss2k
Got a start tonight getting the car ready for Greg and my upcoming track weekend. Trans and diff have fresh liquids. Waiting for oil filter to change up that next. Stoptechs will be a daytime project as my garage lighting leaves something to be desired! Going over nuts and bolts while I'm crawling around and waiting for fluids to drain.
Anyone know if gravity bleed works well wit the Stoptechs? Always worked well with stiock calipers for me and gave good pedal feel.
TIA
Stoptechs!! Nice

No idea on the gravity bleed. But I hope you guys have fun and be sure to charge the GoPro before you go.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:12 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

TIA
We installed my StopTech's in 2014 at Jammin Jake's Garage and we used the old gravity bleed method and it worked well. Just make damn sure you do not run the top resevoir too low and get air in the system. If you get air in the top then you need a power bleeder to bleed from the top because the air gets caught in the distribution box thats part of the antilock brake system.

ALSO - very important to use a GOOD torque wrench on the mounting bolts for the calipers. The small bolts are 40 ft lbs and not one pound more. I stripped mine and had to get a new mounting plate.

And the 20 mm spacers come as a kit that has wheel studs installed. Just press or hammer the wheel studs out and you are good to go. Let me know if you can't find them on EBAY.
Call if you have questions.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by s200059
We installed my StopTech's in 2014 at Jammin Jake's Garage and we used the old gravity bleed method and it worked well. Just make damn sure you do not run the top resevoir too low and get air in the system. If you get air in the top then you need a power bleeder to bleed from the top because the air gets caught in the distribution box thats part of the antilock brake system.

ALSO - very important to use a GOOD torque wrench on the mounting bolts for the calipers. The small bolts are 40 ft lbs and not one pound more. I stripped mine and had to get a new mounting plate.

And the 20 mm spacers come as a kit that has wheel studs installed. Just press or hammer the wheel studs out and you are good to go. Let me know if you can't find them on EBAY.
Call if you have questions.
Thanks Greg
Have 1 more day working for my neighbor then I will tacle the brakes. In the mean time I am going to do a nut and bolt check everywhere I can while underneath
Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 AM

Thanks Greg
Have 1 more day working for my neighbor then I will tacle the brakes. In the mean time I am going to do a nut and bolt check everywhere I can while underneath

I will go easy on the old girl, I only drove her once at Watkins just prior to your ITS training with Boston. A bit different than the old #59, but none the less it was a worthy track rat all the same.
I look forward to our track event at Sebring....in warmer weather !!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by s200059
I will go easy on the old girl, I only drove her once at Watkins just prior to your ITS training with Boston. A bit different than the old #59, but none the less it was a worthy track rat all the same.
I look forward to our track event at Sebring....in warmer weather !!
All the major fluids are completed. Brake swap set for Saturday!
Old 01-31-2017, 04:01 PM

All the major fluids are completed. Brake swap set for Saturday!
Snowing here all day - I am so ready for a few warm weather day's at the Simpson's Winter Track Retreat !

I hope you and Rocky is ready for some new swag.....that's about all I can say at this time .

Lisa is looking forward to some time on the tennis court with Anne, hopefully the weather will be in their favor (ours too).
Old 02-07-2017, 02:54 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Here is a video to get you guys into the mood for Sebring

Old 02-08-2017, 03:29 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Wasn't 2014 the year that the Porsche 911 rolled over going down hill into the laces?

I was watching the GT3 cup race from that year, and twenty five minutes in there are two 911s that go off in the laces. At that time Dr. Guttin had opined that the driver had put a wheel off, yanked it back on and then gone off. But watching the two events in this race, it seems like it may have been caused due to entering at too much speed. Not saying that the 911 that went off in that section was due to more speed, but this does get me thinking about that corner. Slow in, fast out cuz my name ain't Shiv

Video starts at the point where the replay begins for the first incident. The next incident is at the 21:15 mark at Turn 6 again.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A 2
Wasn't 2014 the year that the Porsche 911 rolled over going down hill into the laces?

I was watching the GT3 cup race from that year, and twenty five minutes in there are two 911s that go off in the laces. At that time Dr. Guttin had opined that the driver had put a wheel off, yanked it back on and then gone off. But watching the two events in this race, it seems like it may have been caused due to entering at too much speed. Not saying that the 911 that went off in that section was due to more speed, but this does get me thinking about that corner. Slow in, fast out cuz my name ain't Shiv

Video starts at the point where the replay begins for the first incident. The next incident is at the 21:15 mark at Turn 6 again.
https://youtu.be/jbB6BHEgwv0?t=7m35s
With enough downforce you can do fast in, REALLY fast out