New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Spark plug replacement

Old 06-14-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug replacement

Had the car inspected the other day and the mechanic mentioned something about a notification that came up during the inspection referencing some type of spark plug/crush ring issue. This apparently wasnt enough to throw a check engine light, he described it as more of a notification of sorts. I was pretty surprised something that particular would even come up during an inspection, but I guess OBDII diagnostics are pretty thorough (first OBDII car for me). Since I hadn't noticed any misfires or engine difficulties he said it was just something to check when I got home. I checked the plugs and torqued them back down to 18 ft/lbs and everything seems alright. While I had the plugs out I noticed that there was a whitish-gray powdery corrosion looking substance on the electrode that wouldnt come off via wire brush so I figured I might as well replace them soon being that I'm not sure how old they are. I gave a call to Keeler Honda who wanted $24 per plug on special order (not happening) so now I'm wondering what reasonable substitutes there are.

I searched the site for a while and came up with a couple ideas but there wasn't any clear answer I could come up with so I figured I'd ask locally, what do you guys use?

A couple guys on s2ki mentioned various iridium plugs and NGK 7742's (I think) along with sparkplugs.com being a fairly easy place to source said products. There is a plug at the top of the list for the s2000 on the website made by Pulstar that incorporates iridium for about $13 a plug which is doable I suppose, any thoughts?

website http://www.sparkplugs.com/results_app.asp?...=1&AAIA=1373352

thanks in advance,
Wes
Old 06-15-2010, 03:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use OEM...

There was a TSB or Recall long ago regarding plugs, there was not anything really wrong, they just updated the amount of torque suggested to tighten up the plug, it was increaded, but can't remember to what foot lbs off the top of my head
Old 06-15-2010, 04:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

If the plugs look good, I would put them back in. Torque to the new spec. The plugs should be good for 100k miles.

Edit: Found the TSB

Spark Plug TSB
Old 06-15-2010, 05:06 AM

Cool, I was thinking it was 18 ft-lbs but did not want to say unless I was sure, I think the original spec was 13, and when mine was done, they even had a sticker to put into the service manual so it too was updated.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:58 PM

Yeah I did some searching on the main site about a week ago and someone mentioned that the original spec was 13 ft/lbs but there were issues with that not being enough force to get the crush rings to function properly so everyone seems to reccomend somewhere between 18 and 22 depending on the plug (NGK reccomendation).
Old 06-15-2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger,Jun 15 2010, 04:50 AM
If the plugs look good, I would put them back in. Torque to the new spec. The plugs should be good for 100k miles.

Edit: Found the TSB

Spark Plug TSB
thats what I figured, I never really replaced plugs in the past unless there was some real obvious issue so im guessing these ones are probably ok judging by the fact that the car has much less than 100k miles anyway.

Like I said up top there didnt appear to be anything wrong with the plugs, the only thing I noticed was that they had that kind of grayish white powdery dull colored surface to them, but that could just be common given the application. I should have taken a picture, if i can find my camera I'll throw it online so you see what I mean. One more thing, does anyone think it necessary to check the gaps? ... or is that usually a non-issue once they're installed.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:48 AM

I would check them only because you have them in hand, but I suspect you will have nothing to adjust because they are already fine.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by CBR 2000,Jun 15 2010, 06:43 PM
the only thing I noticed was that they had that kind of grayish white powdery dull colored surface to them, but that could just be common given the application.
Check this out

From how I read your description, I'm thinking you are in the Normal Condition.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:13 AM
A 2
Former Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 151 Posts

^ Thanks for sharing Doug. That is indeed interesting. I'll have to save this
Old 06-16-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OEM plugs, buy from Honda not NGK. The ones you get from Honda are pre-gapped.

I just swapped mine last weekend. Car has 81k on it. Plugs weren't awful but the car feels a lot better with the new ones.

Quick Reply: Spark plug replacement