New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Solidarity Drive For Levi IV - July 21 - Saturday

Old 07-25-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Thanks for the Sympathy Card everybody. That was very sweet. Nancy's mother will be happy you were thinking of us. Nancy and I appreciate it.

Nancy's father was one month shy of 89. I first met him in 1970 when I hitch hiked from Syracuse to Clarence (outside Buffalo) to see Nancy. He didn't kick me off the property, so I knew I was going to like him. As a kid he was smart, but a wise guy, I think. He served in the Pacific in "The Big One, W.W. II" offloading ships and such. They wanted him to go to OCS, but he was too cute, didn't want responsibility, so deferred. Then after the war, instead of going to college on the GI Bill, he went back to work in the family fish business. It was once pretty successful, but the invention of freezers and frozen foods, and the pollution of Lake Erie, killed the business. By then he had 3 kids and had to get a real job. He went to school nights, learned electrical and drafting, and got jobs in the production plants. When I first knew him, he worked for Anaconda Brass, mostly responsible for keeping the furnaces and production lines running. Many night calls when something went wrong. Then as the brass industry failed and moved overseas, he worked as a plant manager in a Rochester plant that made all of the product boxes we throw away every day. That business died when he was about 60, so he was basically retired from then on. He took up golf and played a lot of rounds at the public courses around Buffalo. He did a fair amount of foreign travel, but was always "Glad to be back in the Good Ol' U.S. of A." when he was back on American soil. He loved the Buffalo Bills. A lot of the stuff I've posted on other sites about hiking the Adirondack 46 High Peaks, and about my time with the MG on Track, became e-mails to him with pictures and (more recently) video. He read that stuff with great enthusiasm. Although he wondered why I was so slow (both hiking and on track), he always told me to "keep it coming." He was my biggest fan and cheering section - and that's really my loss. Fortunately, Nancy was visiting on Monday with our
Susan's two children (his great grandchildren). He had been having some bruising and bleeds that we though was related to the Coumadin (sp?) he was taking. But it was a cancer that settled in his bone marrow. I think he went to the hospital thinking he was coming back, but about 8 hours later he was dead. All things to consider, not so bad. Nancy's mother is now alone in the house at 88 and unable to drive with vision problems. At the service, she seemed very small. But so far, she seems to be coping well.

I know - too much information. But if I can't tell you, who can I tell? It was a good life! Thanks again
Old 07-25-2012, 06:28 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
Thanks for the Sympathy Card everybody. That was very sweet. Nancy's mother will be happy you were thinking of us. Nancy and I appreciate it.

Nancy's father was one month shy of 89. I first met him in 1970 when I hitch hiked from Syracuse to Clarence (outside Buffalo) to see Nancy. He didn't kick me off the property, so I knew I was going to like him. As a kid he was smart, but a wise guy, I think. He served in the Pacific in "The Big One, W.W. II" offloading ships and such. They wanted him to go to OCS, but he was too cute, didn't want responsibility, so deferred. Then after the war, instead of going to college on the GI Bill, he went back to work in the family fish business. It was once pretty successful, but the invention of freezers and frozen foods, and the pollution of Lake Erie, killed the business. By then he had 3 kids and had to get a real job. He went to school nights, learned electrical and drafting, and got jobs in the production plants. When I first knew him, he worked for Anaconda Brass, mostly responsible for keeping the furnaces and production lines running. Many night calls when something went wrong. Then as the brass industry failed and moved overseas, he worked as a plant manager in a Rochester plant that made all of the product boxes we throw away every day. That business died when he was about 60, so he was basically retired from then on. He took up golf and played a lot of rounds at the public courses around Buffalo. He did a fair amount of foreign travel, but was always "Glad to be back in the Good Ol' U.S. of A." when he was back on American soil. He loved the Buffalo Bills. A lot of the stuff I've posted on other sites about hiking the Adirondack 46 High Peaks, and about my time with the MG on Track, became e-mails to him with pictures and (more recently) video. He read that stuff with great enthusiasm. Although he wondered why I was so slow (both hiking and on track), he always told me to "keep it coming." He was my biggest fan and cheering section - and that's really my loss. Fortunately, Nancy was visiting on Monday with our
Susan's two children (his great grandchildren). He had been having some bruising and bleeds that we though was related to the Coumadin (sp?) he was taking. But it was a cancer that settled in his bone marrow. I think he went to the hospital thinking he was coming back, but about 8 hours later he was dead. All things to consider, not so bad. Nancy's mother is now alone in the house at 88 and unable to drive with vision problems. At the service, she seemed very small. But so far, she seems to be coping well.

I know - too much information. But if I can't tell you, who can I tell? It was a good life! Thanks again
That was a great tribute Jeff
Old 07-26-2012, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blueosprey90
It is always good to hear about a life well lived.
Thanks,
Harry
Old 07-26-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

A2, great job on the vid as usual.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

video reloaded

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXD5ZusAEc8[/media]
Old 07-28-2012, 02:18 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Nice work Brian , Thanks for the memories!
Levi
Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Awesome work Brian. Loved the section over crown point bridge and T road was awesome. Looney tunes at the end was neat too.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Great video! I had actually toyed with the idea of making a surprise appearance at this drive but in the end decided it was just too far.

But after watching that, I would strongly consider it next year.

Tracey road looked awesome, only saw one car coming the other way and that stop near the bridge looked like a great spot!

I especially liked the looney tunes ending
Old 07-28-2012, 08:19 AM

Great video Brian, you are the GoPro master!! Looks like your pole attachment worked out great

Did you end up with any good footage of Ensign Pond Rd by chance? I really liked that road too.
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by TheCarFather
Great video Brian, you are the GoPro master!! Looks like your pole attachment worked out great

Did you end up with any good footage of Ensign Pond Rd by chance? I really liked that road too.

If that road was before we stopped for lunch then I should have it. I just dont know where that rd is. Alot of the road footage is missed when you speed up the video.