New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Solidarity Drive For Levi IV - July 21 - Saturday

Old 07-23-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey ^^ Mark, did u signup for Fall Crawl yet?! It's your birthday weekend! No better way to celebrate I'm trying to get Aashish and JJ to attend.

I finally posted my pics - sorry it took so long Aashish, feel free to borrow any you think are good to use
http://teamsuzuka.com/event_details.php?ID=56

Mark's are SO much better than mine tho
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the concern A2. Everything is alright here. The family emergency is all resolved and everything is on the up and up. I'm disappointed I wasn't able to make it, however I WILL indeed make the next one. The pictures came out great too guys. Were there any GPW's at the ride?

John
Old 07-23-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 390 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCarFather
I know I already said it, but that drive was EPIC!

Three of those roads are a MUST DRIVE for next year, or all following years for that matter
1. Tracy Rd
2. Ensign Pond Rd
3. Hurricane Rd

Tracy and Ensign Pond Rd were awesome smooth roads that had a great "flow" to them. Personally I used lots of third gear on these roads, every now and then dropping down to second. Tracy had a couple fantastic switchback sections that were wicked taken at speed. It was the first time driving my fathers S that I got the "butterflies" in my stomach purely from cornering g-forces. I think each time I went through the back half of Tracy Rd I started liking it more and more. Both roads were fairly "easy" to drive quickly on for not knowing the roads like myself. Also both of these roads were pretty easy on the brakes. Most of the sections were able to be entered at appropriate speed just by engine braking from downshifting. Of course, I wasn't raping the car on the straighter sections as I would use those areas to let the pack catch up a bit.

Hurricane Rd was a different beast all together. Much more "dangerous" in it's layout. I really loved this road as well since it offered different types of corner sets compared with the other two awesome roads. This road was much more technical to drive fast on. It required A LOT more braking, due in part to both tighter radius turns and more downward elevation. I used second gear quite a bit in sections, rarely getting into fourth. I'm pretty sure I even got down into first once or twice! Lots of elevation, lots of blind tight corners on this one. Hurricane is a beast of a road, hardcore with lots of difficult sections. None of which take away from the fun that is ripping up Hurricane road!

Just wanted to throw a shout out to Conedodger as he was the second car behind us for most of the trip. I know I was ripping right along in sections and you were always right back there. I was very impressed with your wife riding shotgun through all of that, must of been a wild ride! I'm no professional driver or anything, and actually this was my first time driving my fathers S2000 all year but I'd like to think I was moving along pretty good through some sections. I hope I did alright leading the group along as that was my first experience doing that.

Also a big thanks to my Dad (NNYS2k) for doing a great job navigating and keeping me on the right path. You also did very well keeping calm through some of those "hairy" sections and trusting me behind the wheel. I know it can get pretty nerve racking in the passenger seat sometimes when you're not the one behind the controls. Sure was fun though right!!!

Also want to thank Jeff for planning out an awesome route. You were missed but the shirt rode on. I know we all look forward to you being there next year.

Awesome time everyone! Fantastic drive, can't wait for next year.
Did you really need to go down to second? I did the roads in Fifth and Sixth with maybe four drops to Fourth over the entire twisties sections- maybe it's my 4:56 gears?
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Headchef
Did you really need to go down to second? I did the roads in Fifth and Sixth with maybe four drops to Fourth over the entire twisties sections- maybe it's my 4:56 gears?
You and me were the same Dave...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by NYGPW08
Thanks for the concern A2. Everything is alright here. The family emergency is all resolved and everything is on the up and up. I'm disappointed I wasn't able to make it, however I WILL indeed make the next one. The pictures came out great too guys. Were there any GPW's at the ride?

John
Glad to hear everything is OK, at 1st we thought you were lost somewhere.
No GPW's at this event.
Levi
Old 07-23-2012, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fasting
Originally Posted by Headchef' timestamp='1343076449' post='21883007
I didn't realize there would be that much differance from stock 4:11's. Then again my motor is only what came from the factory plus we had 2 in the car.
Levi
Old 07-23-2012, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tadashi
I finally posted my pics - http://teamsuzuka.co...tails.php?ID=56
Pics look good Ellen, thanks for posting.
Levi
Old 07-23-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 212 Likes on 183 Posts

Great Pictures Ellen!

I'm stunned by the number of cars and the number of people. The Solidarity Drive was just supposed to be a casual, sedate "seat-of-the-pants" affair designed to give Levi a chance to exercise his car with a few other S2000s. What happened on the way to IV? I see a mega event. And, from what I read, nothing sedate about it. I wish my business was so successful!
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasting
Originally Posted by Headchef' timestamp='1343076449' post='21883007
EP and T roads were 90% third gear for me. Nice flow, very little need for brakes. Hurricane road needed some moderate braking and downshifts to second gear. I enjoyed Aric's pace, but I'm thinking it may have been too aggressive for a group like this. Not knowing everyone's skill and comfort level, a slightly slower pace may be the way to go. Or, as others have mentioned, break in to two groups. One "spirited" and one for those more interested in scenery.

I thoroughly enjoyed the spirited parts! My wife was a trooper till the end, but had enough by the time we revisited T road. I may be solo if I come up again.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife would have totally spazzed. No doubt about it. The Ellen's, Colleen, and JJ are tough.