New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

SAT AUGUST 7- Rte. 2 Tri-State Drive

Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aashish2,Jul 30 2010, 08:27 PM
^ That route is 170 miles long and may have us driving for 4 plus hours.
Only 4 hours!!! Lets get going. VROOOOOOMMMM VROOOOOOMMM
Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

^ glad to hear you are coming Steve

I hope Rick can make it as well
Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

224 miles today. Left home around 10:30 and got home at 5:45 PM.

Ran some awesome roads that I think all of you will like.

The Mexican restaurant in Bennington is a no go. Rattlesnake Cafe's summer hours are from 4:30 to 9:00 PM. So it looks like we will be stopping at the Madison Brew pub.

There is another Mexican place I saw near Williamstown, MA. I'll try to google and call them to see if they can accommodate us.

Stopped by at Hemmings. The manager was out and I got his card. I'll place a call on Monday and get us setup for a showing of the museum on Monday sometime.

Did you guys wanna stop at a winery? If so there is one not too far off the route we'll be taking. The Hudson Chatham winery is excellent and even I find their wine to my liking.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:22 PM

Thanks for doing all the leg work Aashish! I'm still in for this, but I might have to skip that southern loop on the return trip to save time. My wife needs all the help she can get with the baby at home! Cyas soon.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by aashish2,Jul 31 2010, 07:42 PM
Did you guys wanna stop at a winery? If so there is one not too far off the route we'll be taking. The Hudson Chatham winery is excellent and even I find their wine to my liking.
That place is good, I have been there for some tasting
Old 07-31-2010, 08:22 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I was researching lunch option this evening and it looks like some of the places I was thinking are out as they only open late afternoon for dinner.

I was thinking if we all started the day with a heavy breakfast, then I can alter the route so we do all the spirited driving before we stop for lunch.

For lunch it does not look like there are too many options in Bennington other than Madison brew pub that we went to last time. So the plan will be to head out on Rte 43 (from a start point somewhere on Rte. 4), then get onto Rte22 North, Rte2. towards Rte.8. and then get onto Rte.9 and head to Hemmings for a stop.

From Hemmings we'll head out on Rte.7 and then get back onto Rte 22 South and then get onto Rte. 346, back on Rte 7 AND THEN MAKE OUR STOP for LUNCH.

After Lunch we'll do Taconic Trail yet again and then back on Rte. 22 and if we all feel up to it, we can do another section with curves or just take Rte. 43 to get back to where we started.

Hudson Chatham Winery will be a lil ways out on this altered route, but if there is enough interest, we can probably do it towards the end. Their wine is very good.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

oh! and the options I looked into for the lunch stop were:

1. Rattlesnake Cafe - Opens at 4:00 PM. Parking lot is small and may not accommodate all our cars. - OUT

2. Coyote Flaco in Williamstown - Does not open until 5:00 PM

3. Mezze Bistro & Bar - Same problem. Only open for dinner

which makes this our stop for lunch:
'6 HOUSE PUB
http://www.6housepub.com/index.htm
They have a wide menu, and a lot of seating and should be able to fit all of us in
Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

I just got back from re-driving one of the sections. As I thought about it, the drive really is about hitting the roads that are fun to drive on. And as I pored over my notes from yesterday, it would make sense for us to eliminate the Southern Route. The Southern loop while picturesque is going to add a lengthy transport section that wont be as much fun, so I decided to eliminate it.

This is the route we will be taking and it maximizes the fun quotient to the fullest.

In the route image above we have 3 sections that are hard core fun:
1. The section starting from Poestenkill (around the Rensselaer County Airport) to Berlin

2. Rte 2 until we get into Williamstown, MA

3. Rte8 at the point it splits from Rte100 until it hits Rte.9

On the way back we will be doing the first two section in reverse and let me assure you that it adds a new element to the driving experience in reverse as we will be doing a hill climb on both those sections.

As I mentioned before our lunch stop will be at the '6 House Pub in Williamstown, MA as this is the only decent place thats open for lunch and big enough to fit us all in.

There is a quaint little British Fish & Chips shop in Bennington, but it serves no alcohol and seating may be a challenge if we have an unexpectedly large attendance.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 391 Likes on 235 Posts

Looks really good Aashish! Thanks for all of the leg work.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:28 PM

That's perfect! You rock Aashish!

Quick Reply: SAT AUGUST 7- Rte. 2 Tri-State Drive