New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Running no plate in the front - NY

Old 02-28-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Neutered Sputniks,Feb 27 2008, 07:51 PM
The problem with starting it only every couple of weeks is the cold start factor. But if you do it every day, it's no worse than if you drive it daily...
Actually I don't agree. It's the massive amount of condensation that is created in all sorts of places because you get things hot, and then they go right back to frozen. Without driving it, and putting it through these heat cycles you are filling up the exhaust system with extremely nasty liquid, and inside the exhaust is only one of many places condensation forms, but that condensation is the worst because it is mixed with all the exhaust debris.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally would never start a car up regularly over the winter. I winterize a car for a reason - because it's going to be stored!

As for an electric oil pump, they're rarely necessary. Just figure out what it takes to have the injector duty cycle to go 0 on start (pull the fuel pump relay if you have to, with my car anything over 80% TPS on start takes duty to 0 though) and give the car maybe 15 minutes of cranking (few seconds of cranking it over, lots of seconds of resting to keep the starter from being overworked). That will bring your oil pressure up. Sure, there is some movement going on before the oil is fully pumped up, but it's certainly no worse than starting a car in the 0* weather every day of the week.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by Triple-H,Feb 28 2008, 08:34 AM
Actually I don't agree. It's the massive amount of condensation that is created in all sorts of places because you get things hot, and then they go right back to frozen. Without driving it, and putting it through these heat cycles you are filling up the exhaust system with extremely nasty liquid, and inside the exhaust is only one of many places condensation forms, but that condensation is the worst because it is mixed with all the exhaust debris.
Ahhh, never thought about the condensation...
Old 02-28-2008, 05:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Preoilers.....

http://www.accusump.com/acc_tech_accusump.html

Just a "tank" that holds oil at the same engine pressure before you last shut it down. Upon another start, the oil in the tank is released by valve to the engine. Nice, but not necessary.
Like Doug said...
Moisture=BAD. Don't start it unless you plan to get it hot enough to burn off all the condensation, and that is real hot for a while.
Let em sleep.

As for the shifting.... WTF? As long as you aren't mashing things and speed shifting an off car, you should be just fine.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:44 AM

in my boosted teg, lowered with rims i got a ticket

in the S
no ticket
Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM

No plate here !
Old 02-28-2008, 05:50 PM

Nice Pic! Can't wait to views like that again Specially the green grass and NO SNOW!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 04:14 AM

Jeff's car looks awesome...
Old 03-01-2008, 07:13 AM

I drive without one. I have been trying to get my brother to do the same but he is being a chicken. I have not gotten pulled over once, even if they do, PBA cards get you through anywhere in LI. LOL
Old 03-01-2008, 12:04 PM

Got the scoop on the radar detector prohibited signs!!! I only noticed the middle section about them being prohibited because that part is in BIG letters..

Today on the way to lunch I slowed down and read the rest of the sign...

The prohibition is only for trucks over 9 ton GVW.

Phew! Can't get busted for that anyway... now I just gotta worry about speeding and no front plate

Quick Reply: Running no plate in the front - NY