New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Putting the S away properly

Old 10-26-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TylerNH630M
your sigs are killing me
Old 10-26-2007, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by TylerNH630M,Oct 26 2007, 12:35 PM
Got my S in the garage this past weekend. So should I start it every two weeks or not?
Read the link that was provided above.
the simple answer is No!
Old 10-26-2007, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TylerNH630M,Oct 26 2007, 12:35 PM
Got my S in the garage this past weekend. So should I start it every two weeks or not?
There is no need to. I've been storing mine in the winter since 2003 when I got the car. In the spring, its first start sounds and feels like it was driven just the day before. Fires right up.
Old 10-27-2007, 04:15 AM

If you want to 'kick it up a notch'..........float the suspension, it requires (4) scissor jacks and a small level. one jacks to the point where the suspension bushings are centered (not loaded) the tires should still be touching the ground. Place the' level 'on the open door sills and make any adjustments for floor level/pitch.........back in the day we used to place cars on jack stands, with wheels lifted, but that puts a strain on rubber bushings in opposite angle/direction......this should make for interesting discussion.............
Old 10-29-2007, 04:26 AM

^ I don't jack my car, I figure Honda designed it to sit on the ground as that is after all its natural state. All I do regarding suspension/tires is I jack the car up and set it down on 2" thick pieces of extruded hard foam insulation, and pump the tires up to about 45 psi. The foam keeps the tires from sitting on something so hard and cold as the concrete floor, plus allows for greater air circulation under the car due to the increased height.

And for the record, I now use fule stabilizer in everything, having had to pay to have my huge chipper cleaned out due to the gas turning into varnish in the carb...
Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 AM

I differ with you on that bro....springs weaken with time, bushings dry and become egg shaped...I've taken a few old cars apart....seen it.....depends on how long one intends to keep a vehicle ... the extent of care given to storage.....suspensions were designed for travel , bringing them to a neutral position lengthens their lifespan / integrity ..........."OLD CARS SQUAT" thats a fact.......

Stationary the suspensions loaded 24/7, whilst driving the amount of load / preload is reduced ............ cars were not designed to sit....LET'S RIDE
Old 10-29-2007, 02:45 PM

I have to drive my S .. I can't seem to sell my motorcycle to buy another car !!! Someone buy my 04 suzuki gsxr 750 so I dont have to drive the s2k lol
Old 10-29-2007, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Double "O",Oct 29 2007, 10:52 AM
I differ with you on that bro....
I've taken a few old cars apart....
Exactly
I differ with you on that
We are talking about a 2002 Honda, it ain't anything like the archaic technology that went into a Chevy Chevelle of some 40 years ago...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 PM

Hmmmmmm.............so my S2000 doesn't have steel coil springs or rubber 'A' arm bushings, Probably doesn't have fluid shocks either.....Dammm ain't new technology wonderful.............Did I say 'A' arms.....shoot didn't mean to say that.........probably steers with ball joints too........Did you know some '69 Camaros even had 4 wheel disc brakes....woohh........same basic concept.........todays cars are refined versions of yesteryears technology other than the electronics......a brake job on my "S" is not much different than that on an old car........just metric tools used....as far as new tech.......hows about composite springs........introduced in 1982 on the Corvette....thats new tech..............OH JUST MESSEN WITH YOU...........

Fuel Injection.........................1957.........Roc hester Products
Power Steering.......................1951.........Chyrsl er
Power Brakes.........................1932.........Chyrsl er.............etc ,etc ,etc....same basic design except for the fuel delivery system..........PS they ran like POO in '57......still if I had one (just the unit itself) I could sell it and buy another HONDA........What cha think................ok just one more, power windows.....1946 .....Lincoln........electric motor/ gear drive .........take the door panel off the state of the art 'new ride'.......BAAAMM
Old 10-29-2007, 04:17 PM

Um, as long as we're on the subject of technology. Let me just say, Corvette is one car I really like, in the GM lineup. But, some of them (if not all, I don't know) uses leaf springs in the back...

Quick Reply: Putting the S away properly