New York - Upstate New York S2000 Owners All areas North of I-84 (Port Jervis to Putnam Lake) in New York State

Pic of the Day - Take Two!

Old 06-18-2013, 08:37 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Fasting
I don't even know what to say...
Who names a site Cheezburger and how did you find you were on it?
I don't know who did it either, but I think the feedback had a lot of positives too !

It's yours. You dig it. Enjoy.
I was wondering the same thing
Levi
Old 06-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Never heard of the site, either. As mentioned much of the feedback is positive.

I do have a question though. Did you attach the deck to the house? We didn't on the first one. My +1 had some thought behind that, but down the line we did have some issues, nothing major. We got 20+ years out of the deck. We replaced it a few years ago (with composite decking and vinyl rail system) attached to the house. It really wasn't in bad shape, but the flaws were starting to show and it was starting to make the house look tired. (kind of like the occupants. )
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
Never heard of the site, either. As mentioned much of the feedback is positive.

I do have a question though. Did you attach the deck to the house? We didn't on the first one. My +1 had some thought behind that, but down the line we did have some issues, nothing major. We got 20+ years out of the deck. We replaced it a few years ago (with composite decking and vinyl rail system) attached to the house. It really wasn't in bad shape, but the flaws were starting to show and it was starting to make the house look tired. (kind of like the occupants. )
I built my deck last spring and also went with composite (Azek) decking and vinyl (Certainteed Kingston) railing. I attached to the house in accordance with local building code. It wasn't cheap to build this way, but I built it to commercial specs and have been very happy with it. I went with 12" OC joists to resist flexing (common with composite decking) and an additional beam for when I shovel the roof and 1000 lbs of snow and ice come crashing down from 20' above.

-Mike
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I do have a question though. Did you attach the deck to the house?

There really wasn't any need to attach it to the house. The upper portion of the house extends out 2' over the lower portion. All the decking kind of "hides" underneath the overhang. If the deck shifts towards or away from the house over time, you'll never notice it. Besides, if you attach a deck to a house around here, you have to get a permit from the town. They're notoriously nosy about looking at anything in your house or yard that has nothing to do with what you're working on. When I upgraded the electrical in the house a few years back, the town was making me install smoke detectors in rooms to bring it up to code (although oddly not in the kitchen or laundry room - two places I think would have the greatest chance of a fire appearing in).
Old 06-19-2013, 04:49 AM

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,864 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy_Schizo
Originally Posted by Lainey' timestamp='1371579641' post='22616189

I do have a question though. Did you attach the deck to the house?

There really wasn't any need to attach it to the house. The upper portion of the house extends out 2' over the lower portion. All the decking kind of "hides" underneath the overhang. If the deck shifts towards or away from the house over time, you'll never notice it. Besides, if you attach a deck to a house around here, you have to get a permit from the town. They're notoriously nosy about looking at anything in your house or yard that has nothing to do with what you're working on. When I upgraded the electrical in the house a few years back, the town was making me install smoke detectors in rooms to bring it up to code (although oddly not in the kitchen or laundry room - two places I think would have the greatest chance of a fire appearing in).
Ah I see. The railing on the old deck wasn't looking too great and there was some settling that was becoming obvious, that might have been avoided had it been attached to the house. I instructed our contractor to get a permit if necessary. We live across from Little League fields and didn't want anyone reporting us for not having a permit if needed. Whereas the deck was a replacement (original one was permitted) and the footing was about the same, we didn't need a permit.

I looked for a pic, but can't find one.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 AM

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

Amusing GT-R license plate:

Pic of the Day - Take Two!-v1lytk9.jpg
Old 06-20-2013, 09:04 AM
A 2
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 167 Likes on 152 Posts

Found on S2000 talk - Badges for the S2000

Old 06-23-2013, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Pathetic stealing of Ferrari's design... so much for original thinking...
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 AM

An incredible slice of Americana!

The Barn

Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 AM

At the local Home Depot.. The plate reads "LANDROCKET"

Quick Reply: Pic of the Day - Take Two!